speed vs insurance

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2023, 06:16 AM

I think the issue is not whether you are going to get a ticket or not. The issue is whether you have a habit of breaking the law or not, and how safe it is to do so.

Me, I do not make a habit of breaking the law knowingly. I also think that a golf cart over 20mph is unsafe. So I avoid exceeding 20mph, since that is the speed limit on the multi-modals, and I respect that.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samquiros View Post
I think the issue is not whether you are going to get a ticket or not. The issue is whether you have a habit of breaking the law or not, and how safe it is to do so.

Me, I do not make a habit of breaking the law knowingly. I also think that a golf cart over 20mph is unsafe. So I avoid exceeding 20mph, since that is the speed limit on the multi-modals, and I respect that.

Your mileage may vary.
Funny that I've never seen a speed limit sign on the MMPs, which are not county roads and according to others can only be "patrolled" for DUI, not speed. Of course, if anyplace needs to have a 20 speed limit, it is the MMPs especially approaching blind curves. There are some pretty unsafe cart drivers (and cyclists) out there.

As far as the other parts of that post go:

19.9 in a golf cart is safe but 20.1 is not???? I doubt it.
Anyone who goes 20.1 in a golf cart at times is "making a habit of breaking the law"?
You "avoid" going over 20? That implies your cart is capable of going over 20 which in and of itself makes YOU a "law breaker"
Old 09-20-2023, 06:36 AM
Default Golf carts vs LSV per Fl DMV

Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Old 09-20-2023, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
I know that golf carts are limited by law to 20mph. We all know that it is easy to change the governor and allow it to go faster.

Every time this comes up someone chirps up and states that changing the governor will invalidate your insurance if you are involved in a wreck. Does anyone have any ACTUAL proof that this has ever happened?

The fact that my cart can go a little over 20 does not mean I do go or - if involved in a mishap - was going over 20. My car will go over 100 but as long as I stay at or below the stated limit I'm legal. How would the insurance company know if an owner changed the governor? Who is to say it did not come from the factory as it currently sits?

Bottom line is I'm inclined to believe this is an old wives tale.
We bought our cart at Cart World on 441, Lady Lake. It's one of the oldest and most reputable dealers in this area.

Our salesperson told us that they sold a cart to a man who changed the governor. He was involved in an accident that resulted in a death of another person.
The FIRST thing the police did was to impound the cart. The governor was checked, and found to be well above Florida regulations.
The store was spoken to by investigators about their proof of factory/mfg. delivery of the cart to the man and they were free of ANY AND ALL wrongdoing.

On the other hand, the man who changed the governor was charged. Proof was with the impounded golf cart and he was found guilty. He went to prison. Some lawyer probably got him out right away, I don't know.

I'd imagine that his insurance company did not pay the victim's family, but I have no further information.

I would imagine he lost, in more ways than one, and asked himself IF he would've done it all over again, if given a 2nd chance?

REMEMBER the 59th Bridge song.

That sales persons story convinced us to leave it alone!
Old 09-20-2023, 06:49 AM

It’s not carts going 20.1, but rather much faster. I clocked my buddies cart at 32 mph
Old 09-20-2023, 06:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,666 Times in 943 Posts

Golf Cart Citation Story | Inside The Bubble
Old 09-20-2023, 06:54 AM
Default Speed/ Insurance

Quote:
I know that golf carts are limited by law to 20mph. We all know that it is easy to change the governor and allow it to go faster.

Every time this comes up someone chirps up and states that changing the governor will invalidate your insurance if you are involved in a wreck. Does anyone have any ACTUAL proof that this has ever happened?

The fact that my cart can go a little over 20 does not mean I do go or - if involved in a mishap - was going over 20. My car will go over 100 but as long as I stay at or below the stated limit I'm legal. How would the insurance company know if an owner changed the governor? Who is to say it did not come from the factory as it currently sits?

This is an old "Karens" tale.
Your liability will cover anything not excluded in your policy.
That said, you could be held liable in a civil suit if a court finds you negligent.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.
This is not legal advice.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmonster View Post
It’s not carts going 20.1, but rather much faster. I clocked my buddies cart at 32 mph
Agree 100%, however, both could be charged equally under the law (although unlikely). And this is why I think this law needs to be modified---just being capable should not be the standard for unlawful operation of a golf cart, you should actually be exceeding 20.

My car is capable of 140, should I be charged with "speeding"?
My kitchen knives are capable of killing my neighbor---should I be charged with murder?
My bottle of fireball in my liquor cabinet is capable of making me drunk---should I be charged?

The law kind of reminds me of the move "Minority Report" where psychics predicted a future crime and LEOs arrested the perps for actions they have not yet taken.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:

So what’s so wrong with that? I love my old wife’s tail!
Old 09-20-2023, 07:28 AM

Looks like there's a 5MPH grace period written into the law for golf carts. @20 MPR setup, but not violated by up to 25MPH. golf card over 25MPH is an LSV. I would think that a flat surface would be the test criteria for the 20MPH since different hills would produce different speeds. However, the gas cart will not respond to more gas going downhill once your at the setup speed. My gas Yamaha is setup for 20MPH it will go 22-23 mph going down some of the steepest hills and maybe a little more going down the bridge over 441 to Orange Blossom.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:

If your question is limited strictly to the matter of insurance coverage and denials of same, although many may have opinions about this subject, the correct answer to this inquiry is to read your policy. If an activity or a circumstance is not excluded from coverage, based upon the terms and conditions of your policy, it should not void your coverage. Questions about how law enforcement may treat any golf cart or LSV, based upon their tracked speed is another matter entirely.

Quickdraw
Old 09-20-2023, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
Looks like there's a 5MPH grace period written into the law for golf carts. @20 MPR setup, but not violated by up to 25MPH. golf card over 25MPH is an LSV. I would think that a flat surface would be the test criteria for the 20MPH since different hills would produce different speeds. However, the gas cart will not respond to more gas going downhill once your at the setup speed. My gas Yamaha is setup for 20MPH it will go 22-23 mph going down some of the steepest hills and maybe a little more going down the bridge over 441 to Orange Blossom.
Could you please cite the Florida statute that has "5 MPH grace period written into the law"?
Old 09-20-2023, 07:58 AM

New to TV. Not an insurance agent, LEO OR Legal Beagle, but I have seen many signs through out TV that states max speed is 20MPH unless otherwise posted. As you say, haven't seen a sign on the MMPs, but I can't imagine the MMPs are higher speed limit than the shared roads.... IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Funny that I've never seen a speed limit sign on the MMPs, which are not county roads and according to others can only be "patrolled" for DUI, not speed. Of course, if anyplace needs to have a 20 speed limit, it is the MMPs especially approaching blind curves. There are some pretty unsafe cart drivers (and cyclists) out there.

As far as the other parts of that post go:

19.9 in a golf cart is safe but 20.1 is not???? I doubt it.
Anyone who goes 20.1 in a golf cart at times is "making a habit of breaking the law"?
You "avoid" going over 20? That implies your cart is capable of going over 20 which in and of itself makes YOU a "law breaker"
Old 09-20-2023, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyW View Post
New to TV. Not an insurance agent, LEO OR Legal Beagle, but I have seen many signs through out TV that states max speed is 20MPH unless otherwise posted. As you say, haven't seen a sign on the MMPs, but I can't imagine the MMPs are higher speed limit than the shared roads.... IMHO
Apples and oranges......
Old 09-20-2023, 08:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,054 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post

Driving on a public road is a giant leap from driving on an MMP.
Closed Thread

Tags
governor, insurance, involved, car, stated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.