Suggestions for surviving the summer heat in our golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2023, 05:32 AM
Veteran member

we golf later....6pm. No waiting, no crowds, a little cooler. I also wet a small towel and put it on the freezer for about 1/2 hour, then put it in my cooler with a couple freeze packs. works great!
Old 06-18-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgal View Post
We just recently purchased our house in the villages, and this will be our first time coming back during July/August. We would really appreciate any suggestions from first hand experience of how to best cope with the heat and humidity while out in our golf cart. We will certainly try getting tee times early, but we’re afraid we will be really overheated out on the courses. We also especially enjoy the evening Square shows, but once again, hot is hot! Are there any fans/misters that you have been pleased with? What about cooling towels/bandanas/etc? We have a new Yamaha EFI gas cart if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!
Buy an Atomic golf cart they are air conditioned
Old 06-18-2023, 06:14 AM

While moving, golf cart shouldn’t be problem. If out in sun doing something like putt putt or just walking trails, wear hat, sunscreen, cooling towel, clothes that are moisture wicking (no 100% cotton), and drink LOTS of water. My husband and I debate even wear long sleeves if made of right material (like landscapers). Shop Academy Sports on line for great clothes that won’t stick to you. Have both men and Siemens clothes. Best discovery I ever made! You will get use to it.

Last edited by Remembergoldenrule; 06-18-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:21 AM

I find that I don’t get hot while the cart is moving. When I get out to hit the ball is when I get hot. Shade helps.

Another thing that causes people to suffer in our heat is excess weight. If you are overweight, losing the excess will help you shed your body heat easier. It’s all about your surface area to mass ratio. I know that’s not what people want to hear because it’s not an easy solution like using technology to stay cool. But, you will feel much better for it.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:38 AM

Do not wear black. White is best. Have you noticed long, white garments in the desert?
f you have long hair, put it up.
Cooling pulse points helps - thus a neck cooler (cools pulse in neck) or even putting wrists on a cool tumbler. Swallowing pride and wetting hair can make a huge difference. In a heat emergency - I once had one - find a restroom, soak your t-shirt (blouse, etc.) and put it back on. The greater the humidity the less water-based solutions will help, but we do not get 100% humidity here, so they do help.

Do not wear layers.

Also, you may know, wear cotton or linen. Do not wear fabrics such as rayon or polyester, or even a cotton/polyester blend.

Some swear by eating spicy (hot-peppers) food, but I have never tried it.

Last edited by lindaelane; 06-18-2023 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Add a sentence.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
We just recently purchased our house in the villages, and this will be our first time coming back during July/August. We would really appreciate any suggestions from first hand experience of how to best cope with the heat and humidity while out in our golf cart. We will certainly try getting tee times early, but we’re afraid we will be really overheated out on the courses. We also especially enjoy the evening Square shows, but once again, hot is hot! Are there any fans/misters that you have been pleased with? What about cooling towels/bandanas/etc? We have a new Yamaha EFI gas cart if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!

Battery clip on fan helps!
Old 06-18-2023, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

You will eventually acclimate to the weather here. Most folks wind up adjusting their schedules to go along with the weather, doing outdoor activities either early or late in the day. Spend the hottest part of the day indoors or at the pool. I would not recommend getting in and out of air conditioned space (such as an A/C equipped golf cart), as that only confuses your body and makes it worse. Perspiration is your body's way of regulating temperature, and riding in your cart with the windshield down is actually a good thing.

After a summer or two here, you will figure out what to do, and what time of day to enjoy your activities. The heat of the summer here is a small price to pay for the other 8 months of terrific weather.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:06 AM

First summer you will def feel the heat. Next summer not so much as you acclimate to the heat. That said, drink PLENTY of fluids. When I play 18 hole championships in the summer I drink about 64 oz of fluids during the round and rarely have to pee...that's how much I sweat. Also, be out and about in the mornings, and hole up inside in the afternoons. Not much different than surviving winters up north...just heat instead of cold. Eventually you'll feel cold when its 50 degrees...then you'll know you acclimated.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Welcome and being from NJ you will be fine. (What exit ??). 98 here.
We found having a beach towel on our cart seat helps with the “Icky Stickys” and light and light colored clothes make us more comfortable.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Stay hydrated and get used to sweating a lot. If you find you're feeling overheated then stay indoors except for early mornings.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Welcome to TOTV. It really isn't that bad in the mornings and early evening. Pretty breazy while hauling around in the cart. We don't drop the rear side panels like a lot of others do on the cart.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do an internet search for cooling towels and hats and be sure to check the reviews. Have heard good things about them but never used them myself.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:58 AM

I bought two 8” fans from Amazon that clip on. After I got mine my golf buddies thought they were great and bought some too. We all got various brands but all the exact same fan. So it doesn’t matter the brand, they’re all made by the same factory (probably China) Just look up 8” cooling clip on fan. They’re about $35 each, usb charge, 3 speed, and work great. Charge lasts about 5 or 6 hrs with fan on high.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I am assuming, yes I know, that you are from New Jersey. We are from Philly area and the heat and humidity are no worse here than July and August in philadelphia. It’s like being in PA.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:36 AM

Google golf cart fans. I have a three speed fan mounted over the windshield to the roof that runs off the cart battery. Looks like the old car AC.
Closed Thread

Tags
suggestions, cart, hot, golf, heat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.