Suggestions for surviving the summer heat in our golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2023, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaelane View Post
Do not wear black. White is best. Have you noticed long, white garments in the desert?
f you have long hair, put it up.
Cooling pulse points helps - thus a neck cooler (cools pulse in neck) or even putting wrists on a cool tumbler. Swallowing pride and wetting hair can make a huge difference. In a heat emergency - I once had one - find a restroom, soak your t-shirt (blouse, etc.) and put it back on. The greater the humidity the less water-based solutions will help, but we do not get 100% humidity here, so they do help.

Do not wear layers.

Also, you may know, wear cotton or linen. Do not wear fabrics such as rayon or polyester, or even a cotton/polyester blend.

Some swear by eating spicy (hot-peppers) food, but I have never tried it.
Ahhhh. Have to completely disagree. Never wear cotton. I ONLY wear sports wicking 91% polyester/9%rayon fabrics. This always stays cool and you don’t get soaked in sweat. Cotton is horrible in the heat. Sold by all the sports and golf stores or amazon.com. Most have UV protection also.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgal View Post
We just recently purchased our house in the villages, and this will be our first time coming back during July/August. We would really appreciate any suggestions from first hand experience of how to best cope with the heat and humidity while out in our golf cart. We will certainly try getting tee times early, but we’re afraid we will be really overheated out on the courses. We also especially enjoy the evening Square shows, but once again, hot is hot! Are there any fans/misters that you have been pleased with? What about cooling towels/bandanas/etc? We have a new Yamaha EFI gas cart if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!
We have a Breeze easy in our 12 yr old Par Car and on our 2 yr old Yamaha we have a ceiling fan by Climate Caddy which shuts off every time you get in and out of cart. Ck out both on websites and they both work great. Also drop the front windshield while you are playing.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:30 AM
Default Hot golf carts

Go to Walmart to the auto section they sell fans for the car that plug into a cigarette lighter. We found someone to put in a cigarette lighter, plugged the fan in, and YIPPEE it was nice and cool.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
We just recently purchased our house in the villages, and this will be our first time coming back during July/August. We would really appreciate any suggestions from first hand experience of how to best cope with the heat and humidity while out in our golf cart. We will certainly try getting tee times early, but we’re afraid we will be really overheated out on the courses. We also especially enjoy the evening Square shows, but once again, hot is hot! Are there any fans/misters that you have been pleased with? What about cooling towels/bandanas/etc? We have a new Yamaha EFI gas cart if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!
Cooling towels work for me plus a small fan and plenty of water. I landed in the hospital from dehydration my first year here so I try not to go out golfing during midday.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:24 AM
Veteran member

As someone born and raised right here in Central Florida. My suggestion would be use your car unless it’s before 9am or early evening and even then, you still might want to use your car.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Acclimating to the heat will get you only so far down here. Some folks are simply not hot-weather people. Just like some folks are simply not cold-weather people. On especially hot, humid days, you will absolutely need:

Cold - but not ice-cold - water. Carry an insulated thermos with you. You want it between 45-60°F
A clean dry washcloth, or two, or a hand-towel.
A baseball cap, visor, or straw hat with a short brim. This is to shade your face and head.

You can both drink the water, AND pour a little on one end of your towel to wipe your face and neck and cool them off, and use the other end of the towel to wipe the sweat off the back of your neck.

Also, you could get a little personal fan; I recommend the O2COOL battery powered one that hangs from your neck, they're around $10-12 at Walmart and Home Depot. Lowes carries the same brand, but a misting fan, with a reservoir for you to put ice and water in, it's also very small. I have three O2Cool fans - two are 10" tabletop ones that will plug in or use 6 C batteries, and the other is a little 3" 2-speed one that plugs into a usb port.

You could get a USB port installed in your golf cart, and use one of the mini fans that way.
Yes my husband installed two fans in our golf cart directly wired to the battery and they help a lot. We also have those rechargeable fans that look like headphones fans that go around your neck.. they also work well .
Old 06-19-2023, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Stay hydrated, early or late T times. Over time , you will acclimate to the warm weather.
Also, don't forget salt intake. I keep salt in my golf bag. Drinking lots of water or sport drinks help but replenishing salt is needed as well. The amount of salt a person sweats out can be far more than an electrolyte drink replenishes. An emergency nurse friend of mine once told me that treating heat stroke and de-hydration was one of the most common emergencies they saw and that just drinking water or sports drinks did not prevent but combining with salt with drink did. I will wash down about a 1/2 a teaspoon of salt prior to playing golf or being in extreme heat where I know I will be sweating a lot. Makes sense because the 1st thing ER will do is a saline drip.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Is this a joke? I got a good laugh when I read it. This is Florida. It is hot and humid and rainy in the summer and paradise in the winter. Of course, that’s also true of Tahiti, Jamaica, Mexico, China, Washington (well, NOT Washington, and only parts of China). I love it here in the summer, but then I don’t drive a golf cart, my car is air-conditioned, I’m rarely outside in the day except to walk from my car to wherever I’m going, and I don’t go to the town squares. That’s how I deal with it. Perhaps you should consider, say, Phoenix or Palm Springs, where it may be 115° at 10 a.m., “but it’s a dry heat.” That’s 25° hotter than what it probably is here.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:32 AM
Default Fans

Everyone in our golf group have rechargeable fans we clip onto windshield. It is also freestanding so you can take it to the square or bars. Found on amazon. Sold under many names just make sure its rechargeable and 10000mAh

Koonie 8-Inch Clip & Desk Fan, 10000mAh Battery Operated Rechargeable Portable Fan, USB Fan with 4 Speeds, Strong Airflow, Sturdy Clamp for Golf

https://a.co/d/aUEWTKh

https://a.co/d/92uvAwx

Last edited by DZIMM; 06-19-2023 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I got a coupe of little fans and mounted the on the roof. Best arrangement I have seen was a cart that had a 12 or 15 inch automotive radiator fan mounted to the roof.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Because we usually enjoy 10mph (or more) breezes in FL, and the temperatures generally do not get above 94, the climate is better than most northern cities in the summer. I lived in St Louis, and their summers were far worse than my 23 years in S. FL and TV. The key is to drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated at all times. When out playing golf and sun is out, utilize shade trees when not moving as much as possible. Many times, early tee times are much more humid due to early morning dew and lack of breezes until 10am or 11am.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:54 PM

Thank you for so many helpful suggestions! We have already bought or ordered a few of your ideas.
I’ll keep checking back - always happy to tap other people’s experiences and successes!
Old 06-19-2023, 05:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for so many helpful suggestions! We have already bought or ordered a few of your ideas.
I’ll keep checking back - always happy to tap other people’s experiences and successes!
Welcome to TV

You will get The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....................mostly (by far) The Good.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Welcome to TV

You will get The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....................mostly (by far) The Good.

I don't know about that... I've seen pics of some of you...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-20-2023, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Lived in Florida entire life. Mornings are slightly cooler, but there is a lot less breeze. Afternoons are hotter but more likely to have some wind/breeze. Biggest PM problems are thunderstorms. Suggest playing 9 holes in the summer. Also try to play after 5 PM. Less crowded, more shade and faster play.
Closed Thread

Tags
suggestions, cart, hot, golf, heat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.