Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,831 Times in 1,282 Posts

Good synthesis!

Would be cool if Tesla made a golf car
Old 07-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage

Here are the operating costs from my Yamaha EFI gas cart after 5 years and 18K miles:

Cost of fuel: 5 cents per mile
Cost of maintenance: 1.5 cents per mile
Total: 6.5 cents per mile

Based on estimated battery life from a ParCar representative, the cost for an electric would have been:

Cost of fuel (electricity): 2 cents per mile
Cost of batteries: 10 cents per mile
Total: 12 cents per mile

Of course, these numbers are far less than the depreciation costs per mile if you bought a new cart. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangiaMangia View Post
We own a battery golf cart.
Used a friend's gas cart for the weekend.
Here's my pros and cons of each.

Gas - More reliable - if I run out of gas, call a friend bring a jug.
Electric - loss of charge - now what?

Gas - Goes faster by a few MPH.
Battery - Stays right around 20/21. Yes, I know, 20 is the limit in the Villages.

AFTER THOSE 2 OBSERVATIONS ELECTRIC WINS THE REST OF THE DEBATE

Electric - Doesn't smell! We hate driving behind gas carts.
Electric - What? Can't hear you. Couldn't hear our phone music or talk to each other in the gas cart.
If the quiet gas carts are truly quiet then this won't be an issue.

Electric - buy batteries ($900+) every 3 to 4 years.
Gas - buy gas every week or so (that adds up too over the years)
Gas - oil changes and other engine maintenance.

As others have already said too : we go EVERYWHERE in our electric golf cart. Never an issue about loss of power.
When we get home we always plug it in ready for the next adventure out.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:24 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

The Villages is a "golf cart community" meaning there is a large supply of used golf carts for sale at all times as well as a large demand for used golf carts at all times. This means that you can likely find a good used cart that meets your expectations and probably even in your favorite color, within a very short period of time and at a price that fits your budget. Well cared for used carts will last for many years with just regular maintenance. I have bought two used carts within the past two years - the first an electric four seater. That cart had many upgrades, new batteries, and cost $3200. I used it for several months and though I liked it, I thought that in the near future I may want more range, though I had never exhausted the charge. After putting new tires on it I advertised it for sale on TOTV and sold it in three days for $3,750. I purchased a Yamaha Gas four seater for $5,500 and absolutely love it. Being a part timer I found that the electric cart necessitated a great deal more maintenance for my house watcher and the automatic watering system caused some spillage of battery acid which etched my painted garage floor in one spot. I liked the electric a lot for operation but on balance I am happy I switched to gas.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Here are the operating costs from my Yamaha EFI gas cart after 5 years and 18K miles:

Cost of fuel: 5 cents per mile
Cost of maintenance: 1.5 cents per mile
Total: 6.5 cents per mile

Based on estimated battery life from a ParCar representative, the cost for an electric would have been:

Cost of fuel (electricity): 2 cents per mile
Cost of batteries: 10 cents per mile
Total: 12 cents per mile

Of course, these numbers are far less than the depreciation costs per mile if you bought a new cart. YMMV.
Thank you very much for the great information. So basically $25/mth for gas and estimated $50/mth for electric not counting depreciation. Do you know if that battery cost was lead acid or lithium?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
The Villages is a "golf cart community" meaning there is a large supply of used golf carts for sale at all times as well as a large demand for used golf carts at all times. This means that you can likely find a good used cart that meets your expectations and probably even in your favorite color, within a very short period of time and at a price that fits your budget. Well cared for used carts will last for many years with just regular maintenance. I have bought two used carts within the past two years - the first an electric four seater. That cart had many upgrades, new batteries, and cost $3200. I used it for several months and though I liked it, I thought that in the near future I may want more range, though I had never exhausted the charge. After putting new tires on it I advertised it for sale on TOTV and sold it in three days for $3,750. I purchased a Yamaha Gas four seater for $5,500 and absolutely love it. Being a part timer I found that the electric cart necessitated a great deal more maintenance for my house watcher and the automatic watering system caused some spillage of battery acid which etched my painted garage floor in one spot. I liked the electric a lot for operation but on balance I am happy I switched to gas.
Thank you for the excellent information. That is certainly a tempting approach and makes a lot of sense.

I assume the battery maintenance you mention (and the acid spill) means it was a lead acid battery cart, and your comment is exactly why I am fairly certain I would only consider lithium batteries!
Old 07-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage

It was lead acid and reflected a best guess by a ParCar representative as to how many miles I could expect from a battery pack. I really don't know whether his estimate was reasonable. Lithium-ion batteries will probably change the equation. I believe our next cart will be a lithium-ion electric - probably in a couple of years as our gas cart is in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Thank you very much for the great information. So basically $25/mth for gas and estimated $50/mth for electric not counting depreciation. Do you know if that battery cost was lead acid or lithium?
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,334 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:

Battery - Stays right around 20/21. Yes, I know, 20 is the limit in the Villages.

Electric - What? Can't hear you. Couldn't hear our phone music or talk to each other in the gas cart.

As others have already said too : we go EVERYWHERE in our electric golf cart. Never an issue about loss of power.
Neighbor has an electric....has it set for 25 MPH. More that fast enough for a cart.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage

Here are a couple of my observations about your post.

Gas carts aren't necessarily faster than electrics. I know of some electrics that will do 27 mph.

The fuel injected carts (EFI) really don't smell. I believe it is the older carburetor carts that are more of an issue. Pretty much all new carts are EFI.

The newer Yamaha QuietTec carts are pretty quiet. The previous generation Yamaha carts from Carts and Clubs in Ocala are also pretty quiet since they install sound deadening material. My Yamaha is significantly quieter than carts of the same generation from the The Villages Cart Store.

We don't buy gas every week and we put 3600 miles per year on the cart. I would say every 2-3 weeks is more typical. Since the Yamahas get 50+ mpg, they are pretty thrifty. It costs us about 5 cents per mile for fuel. The cost of electricity for an electric cart should be about 2 cents per mile but you do have to replace the batteries.

Oil changes and other maintenance on a gas cart is probably not much different than watering the batteries on an electric. I do my own maintenance and probably average about 1-2 hours per year but I am pretty picky. If you are having someone else do your maintenance it is not an issue with a gas cart. If you have an electric you are most likely having to water the batteries yourself. Regardless, I don't see maintenance as an issue.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 08-01-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Charging locations? Where are there charging locations other than homes? Seriously. Maybe I'm missing something.

Back on topic, I switched from gas to electric and never regretted it. Quieter, just as fast or faster, and I've driven from Gilchrist to Lopez, played 18, and drove home without a problem. Just have to remember to recharge after every ride and replace batteries every three-four years. Walking back that opinion, the new Yamahas are quiet enough to make me interested in them for my replacement cart in a few years.
The Yamaha Quiet-techs are not quiet enough or smooth enough to entice me to trade in my electric Yamaha.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Here are a couple of my observations about your post.

Gas carts aren't necessarily faster than electrics. I know of some electrics that will do 27 mph.

The fuel injected carts (EFI) really don't smell. I believe it is the older carburetor carts that are more of an issue. Pretty much all new carts are EFI.

The newer Yamaha QuietTec carts are pretty quiet. The previous generation Yamaha carts from Carts and Clubs in Ocala are also pretty quiet since they install sound deadening material. My Yamaha is significantly quieter than carts of the same generation from the The Villages Cart Store.

We don't buy gas every week and we put 3600 miles per year on the cart. I would say every 2-3 weeks is more typical. Since the Yamahas get 50+ mpg, they are pretty thrifty. It costs us about 5 cents per mile for fuel. The cost of electricity for an electric cart should be about 2 cents per mile but you do have to replace the batteries.

Oil changes and other maintenance on a gas cart is probably not much different than watering the batteries on an electric. I do my own maintenance and probably average about 1-2 hours per year but I am pretty picky. If you are having someone else do your maintenance it is not an issue with a gas cart. If you have an electric you are most likely having to water the batteries yourself. Regardless, I don't see maintenance as an issue.
Thank you for the excellent in information.

To me, I would NOT buy a cart with lead acid batteries, I do not want a car that requires me to "fiddle" with it (water, not over charging, not under charging, cleaning terminals, etc). However, I am very interested in The new Lithium Battery Carts.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The Yamaha Quiet-techs are not quiet enough or smooth enough to entice me to trade in my electric Yamaha.
Thank you, It is not an easy decision for me.

I am leaning toward the QuieTech Drive2 Yamaha at the moment because I do not want lead acid batteries and the required "fiddling" with them.

I am trying to convince myself to spend the extra to get an E-Z-Go Elite with the 4.0 Lithium battery pack. Zero maintenance, 8 to 10 year battery life and 70+ (hopefully) mile range - maybe... but I can't quite handle that price point yet.

So, I am also looking into a E-Z-Go with the Elite 3.0 Lithium battery pack and a solar panel on the cart roof. But I have not been convinced I would see enough added range from the solar panel... so still researching it.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonni252 View Post
We'll be visiting TV for the first time next month in the heat and high humidity of the summer. One thing I've wondered about is whether or not it's comfortable temperature-wise riding in a cart during the Summer. I always have the A/C on in my car in the Summer - I don't want to feel like I'm melting. What is it like driving for 20 minutes or more in a cart with no A/C? I'll find out first hand next month but I'd like to know what residents who have been in TV for a while think.
In the hot months, I only drive the cart in the early morning. It can actually be kind of cool in an open cart with the temperature in low to mid 70s and high humidity. It doesn't take long to lose that window of opportunity for me however. I'll go to the fitness center or the pool and when I come out, it is already very warm. I don't play golf. Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We have 2 gas Yamaha cart one of which is newer and quieter. I have been known to drive 100+ miles in one day. I have done that at least 2 times and possible more. I have gone through over a tank of gas within a week a couple times. At least with gas you can pull into a station and fill up.

It takes us about 55 minutes to get to Brownwood from the house and we go there often. Since getting our first cart we have not driven the car within the Villages.
I have a very quiet and smooth Yamaha electric golf cart with upgraded adjustable seats with wonderful lumbar support and comfortable arm rests. Our steering wheel has self canceling directionals which work 100% of the time when I make a turn. My cart also has high beams which light up the road/paths at night so it is very easy to see the road ahead. Having said that......shoot me now if I ever had to travel that far in my golf cart! I go that far in my quiet and smooth air conditioned/ heated car.

Last edited by coffeebean; 08-04-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I have a very quiet and smooth Yamaha electric golf cart. Shoot me now if I ever had to travel that far in my golf cart! I go that far in my quiet and smooth air conditioned/ heated car.
Missing the fun... my main reason for buying a house in The Villages is to be able to drive the golf cart all day. All my life I have been driving a car so the fun of it all for me is to drive the cart everywhere I can and to try to find as many places as I can by golf cart.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
There are protective pads for garage floors specifically for electric carts. Our cart pad was placed on the floor before the cart was parked in the garage for the first time and has remained in place.

Tags
time, issue, cart, mile, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.