Used Golf Cart Purchase - What is Required?

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Default Used Golf Cart Purchase - What is Required?

One of my first tasks after we close next week will be to buy a used golf cart. This will be my first golf cart purchase and I want to make certain I don't over-look anything that is either required or recommended.

As always, responses are truly appreciated.
  1. What is required from the seller, other than a signed Bill of Sale?
  2. How do I make certain the seller actually owns the golf cart?
  3. Once I purchase a golf cart, what should I do? I understand I need insurance, but I don't know if I need to register the golf cart with FL or TV.
  4. When I need to service the golf cart, where should I go?
  5. Are there any other things I should do?

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

YOu should get a bill of sale from whoever you are buying the cart from BUT there is NO proof of owner ship that I am aware of such as a car title etc. If this is a major concern of yours, I suggest buying from a reputable dealership in the area who handles used golf carts ...as opposed to a private sale..there are many! However, there are many "slightly" used golf carts for sale by private owners that are great deals...but you have to find them!

You are not required to have insurance but it is highly recommended and you can get this from The Villages Insurance for about $60-70 a year...Cheap! When obtaining cart insurance they will ask you for your drivers license number(s) of the primary operators, the serial number of the cart and what your sales price was. No registration with state or county is required. I beleive they use the license number to run a credit and a vehicle violations/accident check..which woudl effect your rate.

AS far as service, everone probably has his/her favorite place to go or call. If something is under warranty, of course call the place where you bought the cart from first. Check the Daily Sun . HINT when buying a resale you should check on how old the batteries are if you are buying a battery operated cart. You can do this by loking at the battery terminals (on Trojan batteries) and there will be a letter followed by a number For ex. J7 would mean October 2007 with J being the 10th month of the year 2007. Plan on batteries lasting 3 years (hopefully more) so I would not get a resale cart with batteries more than 18 months old...or if you do plan on a $600-650 expense for batteries at around the 3 year mark. Battery Boys is a great place to get new batteries at a reasonable price.

Other practical advice...who probably cant go wrong with a Club Car or Yamaha...I would be careful of the China built cars...not than im against them but I found from a practical point of view the batteries where just very hard to access to do simple thing like check the water levels and where woulod you go to get service and parts. Does the car have a high speed motor (electric) or high speed gears (gas) if that is what you are looking for??? Tire life...do the tires look good or will they need replacing. Is it a sunbrella cover or some cheap vinly cover?

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

If you go electric, get a charger.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Default golf carts

Obviously 784 Caroline, if you owned a "China" build golf cart you would know that accessing the water levels on the batteries wouldn't be a problem. I just love these professionals that know so much about golf carts.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran member

I only mean this to be funny, not disrespectful but what we need in the 'icon' attachments is a "can of worms"

What I've seen on this website for 3+ years is that there are probably as many opinions about golf carts as there are golf carts.

Best advice I can give is 1st, have patience; 2nd see what golf carts attract you and go to the owner and ask THEM what it is, why and where they got it; 3rd let common-sence prevail.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Aln you are right, I just get T-off when someone tries to tell people on what they think they know............... sorry to get so wound up
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

If you check items for sale you will see I am offering my wifes 2010 gas Yamaha for sale.
When you buy a new cart as we did you will be furnished a certificate of origin (because there is no title). When I sell my wifes cart I will show that we have the certificate of origin,warranty paperwork, owners manual and my original bill of sale I recvd. from The Villages Yamaha dealer.
When we sell the cart I will be able to provide proof of ownership and give you a signed bill of sale.
If you want to see pictures of the cart, click on otherbruddadarrell at the top of this post and then click on public profile...... it will show albums on the right side of the page. You will see a picture of the cart.....click on it to view the album. You can click on each picture to enlarge to full screen.
The price is 7k....almost 2k less then I paid for it this spring
OBD
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage

dan - Here's the thread otherbrudda's referring to: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ad.php?t=34683

Sounds like a smokin' deal to me, especially given that it's virtually new!

Ofeeshul Disclaimer: I don't know OBD nor have I ever seen his golf cart...

Bill
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

mrdills

I hope you made a new years resolution to calm down. I can tell you when I checked out a STAR car (4-seater) I could not easily fill or check the battery cells. NOw I apoligize if I used toooo broad a brush with the term chinese golf carts but for a STAR car 4 seater it would be difficult and I would hope my post makes someone think about how easy or difficult it would be to add water to the batteries.

BTW your post(s) certainly didnt add anything constructive to the question at hand. I never claimed to be a "Professional" anything..just trying to help someone out.

If my prior post upset you, you have a L-O-N-G year ahead !
Old 01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Gold member

Geez, Caroline, when I read your post I thought "there is some common sense advice there", and I was pleased to learn something new, when you explained the code for determining the birth date of a Trojan battery. So don't let one flamer deter you from posting. I appreciate your post . . . . and I learned something!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natickdan View Post
One of my first tasks after we close next week will be to buy a used golf cart. This will be my first golf cart purchase and I want to make certain I don't over-look anything that is either required or recommended.

As always, responses are truly appreciated.
  1. What is required from the seller, other than a signed Bill of Sale?
  2. How do I make certain the seller actually owns the golf cart?
  3. Once I purchase a golf cart, what should I do? I understand I need insurance, but I don't know if I need to register the golf cart with FL or TV.
  4. When I need to service the golf cart, where should I go?
  5. Are there any other things I should do?
Dan,

Until I sold it two days ago, you were going to look at my cart when your arrive 1/11. Absent a lot of BS, here is what would/should have happend if you bought my cart:

1) A signed BOS would be OK except for the fact that I (or most others) have nothing to show ownership. IMHO it's a trust thy neighbor kind of thing!

2) After purchase the only thing I would recommend is that you get insurance. At the very least you should have liability Insurance. Not expensive but lots of peace of mind.

3) My Cart was serviced well for the past 5 years by "Ken Spano" a service Co. with a shop in Ocala. Prices are reasonable and they always stand behind their work. Would not hesitate to use them for an out of warranty Cart. Would also suggest semi annual service, especially for a Gas cart.

4) Don't hesitate to ask Seller for evidence of service history. If they haven't had it serviced or can't prove it, I'd go somewhere else.

Good Luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks! I am now more aware of what I need to do and, for that, a big thanks to all who have taken time to respond.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Sage

Hi Dan,

In addition to what's been said, you'll want to get a cart that is "Villages ready". Typical features for a TV cart (whether gas or electic) include, at least:
  • Will go 19.9 mph (non street-legal)
  • Sunbrella enclosure
  • Sand holder, club and ball cleaner, cooler on board
  • headlights, taillights and blinkers
Once you get your cart, you will feel like a true Villager. Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts
Default used cart inspection service?

Enjoyed this thread as I also am in the recently arrived, looking to buy mode. When buying a used car one is advised to take it to an independant mechanic to get it inspected before buying. Is there any similar service available to get a golf cart inspected to find hidden concerns?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You need only two things - $$$$$$ and COMMON SENSE. From there, they sky is the limit. FYI, golf carts are not covered by Florida Lemon Laws (especially used carts) so check whatever you decide to buy out very carefully (see COMMON SENSE above).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.