Ways To Make Your Golf Car(t) Less Attractive To Thieves

Old 03-02-2024, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts
Default Ways To Make Your Golf Car(t) Less Attractive To Thieves

I thought it would be a useful conversation to have, to discuss various products designed to make one's golf cart less attractive for thieves. The theory being, of course, that we can't make it impossible, but a little deterrence will make it more likely that a thief will move on to someone else's cart.

I was going to post links to all of the products, but that's really a PITA, so anyone who is interested in finding more information online needs merely to GOOGLE a few keywords to educate themselves.

1. "unique" keys, vs. "common" keys, vs. "uncommon" keys. From what I've gleaned on searching "Buggiesgonewild" ( golf cart forum), an "uncommon" key might be what you have if you've had a headlight kit installed on your Yamaha. While it is harder to find than the "common" keys, it is more easily defeated than a "unique" key. As I understand it, to get a "unique" key ignition you have to buy a new one, so labelled, and have it installed.

I am not absolutely sure I understand all of the nuances of this, and would welcome more discussion from someone more knowledgeable. I think I do understand , however, that even such a system can be defeated by someone willing to put the cart in neutral and pull it onto a trailer. Certainly not as easy, and certainly more likely to arouse suspicion, than merely acting like you own the cart with a key that works and driving off in a matter of seconds.

Which leads me to another set of products that in one way or another immobilize the cart mechanically, such as:

1. A wheel boot.
2. A pedal to steering wheel lock bar (which can be used to fix the steering wheel to a part of the frame if the pedal hook doesn't fit the pedal for your particular cart).

3. A pedal lock, which fixes the gas pedal in one spot, and some of them fix the brake in the "set" position making rolling it onto a trailer even more difficult, if not impossible.

My inclination is to get a pedal-to-steering wheel lock bar. Simple, not too expensive (around $30-$40), and immediately obvious to the causal thief that there is easier prey available.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2024, 10:28 AM

have one of these just tucked away inside the cart. If you even touch the cart the alarm sounds- loudly. 20 bucks.

amazon.com/Wireless-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B0734QN8KR/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.PZEFkGgGGXFJ7Hr8eJ2YUU quq104byC4dXoYoVaMYK5296xxJ8n9XYc0MKY_t-dL2RIeIj-0Q1aM8Sshyq4q5IAPO-QJDaR9oY7-d-TBvscB4lfwjJDejNyI0gdPAA9aATDMTJsuGVzlHvMpF8bHrio2 9u-jb6nUTB2p5_NjvbrZy4rRwxnyXoF_Sj5NFrHmqYHpCoMz8amve FNTjt_Wz8EE7WWBTeSe9lT89gwQhrZIhlEGm7KtCZwhdf1SPJw SzQeiT-CL9uZDS_1KgWQnJO3rqqlqZEALNlSJu56mTLU.RVMTKSqaWlFs pRjUSXKe8c3gunTU6yzgXmVzwgooGcc&dib_tag=se&keyword s=bike+alarm&qid=1709314146&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I thought it would be a useful conversation to have, to discuss various products designed to make one's golf cart less attractive for thieves. The theory being, of course, that we can't make it impossible, but a little deterrence will make it more likely that a thief will move on to someone else's cart.

I was going to post links to all of the products, but that's really a PITA, so anyone who is interested in finding more information online needs merely to GOOGLE a few keywords to educate themselves.

1. "unique" keys, vs. "common" keys, vs. "uncommon" keys. From what I've gleaned on searching "Buggiesgonewild" ( golf cart forum), an "uncommon" key might be what you have if you've had a headlight kit installed on your Yamaha. While it is harder to find than the "common" keys, it is more easily defeated than a "unique" key. As I understand it, to get a "unique" key ignition you have to buy a new one, so labelled, and have it installed.

I am not absolutely sure I understand all of the nuances of this, and would welcome more discussion from someone more knowledgeable. I think I do understand , however, that even such a system can be defeated by someone willing to put the cart in neutral and pull it onto a trailer. Certainly not as easy, and certainly more likely to arouse suspicion, than merely acting like you own the cart with a key that works and driving off in a matter of seconds.

Which leads me to another set of products that in one way or another immobilize the cart mechanically, such as:

1. A wheel boot.
2. A pedal to steering wheel lock bar (which can be used to fix the steering wheel to a part of the frame if the pedal hook doesn't fit the pedal for your particular cart).

3. A pedal lock, which fixes the gas pedal in one spot, and some of them fix the brake in the "set" position making rolling it onto a trailer even more difficult, if not impossible.

My inclination is to get a pedal-to-steering wheel lock bar. Simple, not too expensive (around $30-$40), and immediately obvious to the causal thief that there is easier prey available.

Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2024, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I use a universal automotive ignition switch which came with 4 keys and are unique between switches. I have installed 3 or 4 of these and none had the same keys. Now a word of caution, these work very well on the 2 wire Yamaha switch installations, I need to research the 4 wire Yamaha switch replacement as I am not sure what the extra position is used for. This switch costs around $20 and is available at most auto parts stores. It also fits well in the existing hole in the dash. Please feel free to send me a PM if you want more info, or want to discuss over the phone.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:54 AM
Gold member

I was just commenting on this on another thread.

I suspect wheel locks are going to be difficult for older folks to get down on their knees to lock/unlock.

How about a steering wheel lock? I would lean towards one that is just a steering wheel lock, no brake pedal involvement.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Three very easy solutions, use all three and it’s extremely unlikely a thief will risk spending time with your cart and move on to the next target. First, a well hidden kill switch. Second, a unique keyed ignition switch. Third, turn your steering wheel all the way in one direction and run a cable bicycle lock through your steering wheel and around the roof support tubing and lock it (with very little slack in the cable). The third option is only necessary if your cart is parked in a high risk location where the cart could be pushed onto a trailer. With the steering wheel cabled, if you push the cart it will go in a circle.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

You can have an alarm installed. Gold Shield Cart Alarms, LLC | Golf Cart Alarm Installations | The Villages In addition to that place a tracker such as an Apple Airtag in an inconspicuous location.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-02-2024, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

I just drive an old noisy unattractive club car. I can't think of anyone who would WANT to steal it.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:07 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Agree with Top on a kill-switch.

Also, get a GPS chip.
Cheap.
Won't stop the crime, but the fuzz will find it and the bad guys real quick.
Old 03-02-2024, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Three very easy solutions, use all three and it’s extremely unlikely a thief will risk spending time with your cart and move on to the next target. First, a well hidden kill switch. Second, a unique keyed ignition switch. Third, turn your steering wheel all the way in one direction and run a cable bicycle lock through your steering wheel and around the roof support tubing and lock it (with very little slack in the cable). The third option is only necessary if your cart is parked in a high risk location where the cart could be pushed onto a trailer. With the steering wheel cabled, if you push the cart it will go in a circle.
I like the first two ideas. They are quick and simple. I like the third idea, but I know myself (and the Mrs) and we are not going to cable lock the cart very often. I also have an AirTag secured onto the cart in a non-obvious location. Not that it can't be found, but it isn't hanging off the steering column either. I just swap out the batteries every January 1 and they are good to go.

AirTags are cheap and amazing. I have an about a half-dozen of them. I hide them in each car, the golf cart, the boat, the Jetski, my wallet, my car keys, have a couple spares for putting into luggage (great to know your bag is in Hawaii when you're going to Bermuda) when travelling.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 03-02-2024, 07:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

In the Harley-Davidson world, if you go on a trip and leave your bike parked at a hotel or campground, the best way to keep it from getting stolen, is to use a Bike Cover that proclaims there's a Honda under the cover.

Are there really that many golf carts stolen around TV? I've never much worried about it, but if I was, I'd just attach an Air Tag or a Tile to it, like someone else mentioned. Now that I think about it, I'd probably stick it in my golf bag, where it would be harder for a thief to find. Seeing my golf bag is always on my cart, I'd be protecting my clubs and cart.

A "kill switch" would certainly help, but that's a little bit of a pain and very old school.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-02-2024 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You can have an alarm installed. Gold Shield Cart Alarms, LLC | Golf Cart Alarm Installations | The Villages In addition to that place a tracker such as an Apple Airtag in an inconspicuous location.
Have also done both; piece of mind.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Apply a sticker "Tracked by GPS" to deter a thief

https://www.amazon.com/Warning-Vehic...335c3f62a7aac0
Old 03-02-2024, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Paint your cart pink and put Barbie stickers all over it.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:08 PM

I’m going to get a lo-jack for mine.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
have one of these just tucked away inside the cart. If you even touch the cart the alarm sounds- loudly. 20 bucks.

amazon.com/Wireless-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B0734QN8KR/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.PZEFkGgGGXFJ7Hr8eJ2YUU quq104byC4dXoYoVaMYK5296xxJ8n9XYc0MKY_t-dL2RIeIj-0Q1aM8Sshyq4q5IAPO-QJDaR9oY7-d-TBvscB4lfwjJDejNyI0gdPAA9aATDMTJsuGVzlHvMpF8bHrio2 9u-jb6nUTB2p5_NjvbrZy4rRwxnyXoF_Sj5NFrHmqYHpCoMz8amve FNTjt_Wz8EE7WWBTeSe9lT89gwQhrZIhlEGm7KtCZwhdf1SPJw SzQeiT-CL9uZDS_1KgWQnJO3rqqlqZEALNlSJu56mTLU.RVMTKSqaWlFs pRjUSXKe8c3gunTU6yzgXmVzwgooGcc&dib_tag=se&keyword s=bike+alarm&qid=1709314146&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

and who going to pay attention. Just like car alarm going off. Nobody cares unless it their car.

Tags
cart, pedal, make, wheel, key

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.