Ways To Make Your Golf Car(t) Less Attractive To Thieves

Old 03-03-2024, 08:29 AM

I’ve heard that the thieves pass on electric carts, so there’s another reason to get an electric cart.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,045 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I’ve heard that the thieves pass on electric carts, so there’s another reason to get an electric cart.
Good point. Electric Carts are like the dye packages, bank's put in the money bags, when they're robbed. Damn electric carts are prone to explosion ... who wants that to happen, when you're on the lam.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:02 AM
Smile jacksonla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I thought it would be a useful conversation to have, to discuss various products designed to make one's golf cart less attractive for thieves. The theory being, of course, that we can't make it impossible, but a little deterrence will make it more likely that a thief will move on to someone else's cart.

I was going to post links to all of the products, but that's really a PITA, so anyone who is interested in finding more information online needs merely to GOOGLE a few keywords to educate themselves.

1. "unique" keys, vs. "common" keys, vs. "uncommon" keys. From what I've gleaned on searching "Buggiesgonewild" ( golf cart forum), an "uncommon" key might be what you have if you've had a headlight kit installed on your Yamaha. While it is harder to find than the "common" keys, it is more easily defeated than a "unique" key. As I understand it, to get a "unique" key ignition you have to buy a new one, so labelled, and have it installed.

I am not absolutely sure I understand all of the nuances of this, and would welcome more discussion from someone more knowledgeable. I think I do understand , however, that even such a system can be defeated by someone willing to put the cart in neutral and pull it onto a trailer. Certainly not as easy, and certainly more likely to arouse suspicion, than merely acting like you own the cart with a key that works and driving off in a matter of seconds.

Which leads me to another set of products that in one way or another immobilize the cart mechanically, such as:

1. A wheel boot.
2. A pedal to steering wheel lock bar (which can be used to fix the steering wheel to a part of the frame if the pedal hook doesn't fit the pedal for your particular cart).

3. A pedal lock, which fixes the gas pedal in one spot, and some of them fix the brake in the "set" position making rolling it onto a trailer even more difficult, if not impossible.

My inclination is to get a pedal-to-steering wheel lock bar. Simple, not too expensive (around $30-$40), and immediately obvious to the causal thief that there is easier prey available.

Thoughts?
Back in the 90s my Family had a weekend cottage in Southern Maryland on the Potomac River. River rats (bad guys) would come on their boats at night to private docks and steal boat motors. Dad bought a new boat motor for his sailboat, and he spray painted it with neon blue paint. It looked terrible and was easily identifiable. He had no problem with theft.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:20 AM

inconspicuous battery kill switch.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I thought it would be a useful conversation to have, to discuss various products designed to make one's golf cart less attractive for thieves. The theory being, of course, that we can't make it impossible, but a little deterrence will make it more likely that a thief will move on to someone else's cart.

I was going to post links to all of the products, but that's really a PITA, so anyone who is interested in finding more information online needs merely to GOOGLE a few keywords to educate themselves.

1. "unique" keys, vs. "common" keys, vs. "uncommon" keys. From what I've gleaned on searching "Buggiesgonewild" ( golf cart forum), an "uncommon" key might be what you have if you've had a headlight kit installed on your Yamaha. While it is harder to find than the "common" keys, it is more easily defeated than a "unique" key. As I understand it, to get a "unique" key ignition you have to buy a new one, so labelled, and have it installed.

I am not absolutely sure I understand all of the nuances of this, and would welcome more discussion from someone more knowledgeable. I think I do understand , however, that even such a system can be defeated by someone willing to put the cart in neutral and pull it onto a trailer. Certainly not as easy, and certainly more likely to arouse suspicion, than merely acting like you own the cart with a key that works and driving off in a matter of seconds.

Which leads me to another set of products that in one way or another immobilize the cart mechanically, such as:

1. A wheel boot.
2. A pedal to steering wheel lock bar (which can be used to fix the steering wheel to a part of the frame if the pedal hook doesn't fit the pedal for your particular cart).

3. A pedal lock, which fixes the gas pedal in one spot, and some of them fix the brake in the "set" position making rolling it onto a trailer even more difficult, if not impossible.

My inclination is to get a pedal-to-steering wheel lock bar. Simple, not too expensive (around $30-$40), and immediately obvious to the causal thief that there is easier prey available.

Thoughts?
I did two things which I believe gives me as much protection as possible.

1. I installed an ignition "lockout" in the dash between the ignition key and the gas gauge. This was an electrical "barrel lock" which has a unique key. You'll often see them on vending machines and electrical panels The key is round, the size of a pencil eraser, with serrations on the end. You'll find one on Amazon. All you need to do is cut the wire leading to the ignition switch and connect the two ends to the terminals on the barrel lock. The chance of a thief having the correct barrel key as well as the correct ignition key are next to nothing.

2. I installed a lock on the brake pedal which prevents the cart being towed or pushed. I drilled a hole in the top right corner of the pedal and a corresponding hole in the floor board. Next, I installed an eye bolt through the floor board with fender washers on both sides of the floor and nylock nuts on each side. With nuts on each side, you can adjust the length of the eye bolt so it is close to the brake pedal when it is fully depressed. Then, I bought a decent padlock with a slightly longer shackle and put it through the eye bolt and then through the hole in the brake pedal. Finally, just to be ultra-careful, I bent the end of the eyebolt under the floor to prevent the locknut from being removed.

The brake lock took no more than 10 minutes time to install. You need to be careful to get the two holes properly aligned. Although not necessary, I bent the eyebolt 90 deg to make it easier to insert the shackle of the padlock. Finally, you adjust the distance between the eyebolt and the brake pedal so the padlock will fit and will not allow the brake to be "kicked off" by pressing the gas pedal.

The barrel ignition took a little more work, perhaps 20 minutes. On a Yamaha you have to remove the top of the dash and then cut the wire leading to the ignition switch. You'll need to splice in some wire as you will connect the two ends to the barrel lock after the wires have been pushed through the hole you've drilled in the dash. Finally, I had to solder the ends of the wires to the barrel lock, although I expect you can find one with screw terminals.

The result has the appearance of a professional job.

I frequently use the ignition cut-out as the most common thefts are done with duplicate ignition keys. The brake lock I use when I have parked the cart in one of the parking lots behind the buildings at the squares or when I am at a restaurant or store outside The Villages where a thief might push or tow the cart away, particularly so at night.

I doubt that you can use a "brake pedal to steering wheel" lock as you need to lock the brake pedal in the "down" position. All of these locks I've seen go behind the pedal and keep it in the "up" position, which is the opposite of what you need with a golf cart.

I have seen several carts with tire "boots". Those would be effective, although they are messy to install, are heavy, will fill the basket on the cart, and will rattle around in the basket when the cart is in motion.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Three very easy solutions, use all three and it’s extremely unlikely a thief will risk spending time with your cart and move on to the next target. First, a well hidden kill switch. Second, a unique keyed ignition switch. Third, turn your steering wheel all the way in one direction and run a cable bicycle lock through your steering wheel and around the roof support tubing and lock it (with very little slack in the cable). The third option is only necessary if your cart is parked in a high risk location where the cart could be pushed onto a trailer. With the steering wheel cabled, if you push the cart it will go in a circle.
That is a GREAT idea.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Apply a sticker "Tracked by GPS" to deter a thief

Amazon.com
That's cute you think thieves take the time to read, assuming they do or if they do that they can read quickly without sounding out the syllables and moving their lips.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 03-03-2024, 10:09 AM
Default Accidental Touches

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
have one of these just tucked away inside the cart. If you even touch the cart the alarm sounds- loudly. 20 bucks.

amazon.com/Wireless-Anti-Theft-Vibration-Motorcycle-Waterproof/dp/B0734QN8KR/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.PZEFkGgGGXFJ7Hr8eJ2YUU quq104byC4dXoYoVaMYK5296xxJ8n9XYc0MKY_t-dL2RIeIj-0Q1aM8Sshyq4q5IAPO-QJDaR9oY7-d-TBvscB4lfwjJDejNyI0gdPAA9aATDMTJsuGVzlHvMpF8bHrio2 9u-jb6nUTB2p5_NjvbrZy4rRwxnyXoF_Sj5NFrHmqYHpCoMz8amve FNTjt_Wz8EE7WWBTeSe9lT89gwQhrZIhlEGm7KtCZwhdf1SPJw SzQeiT-CL9uZDS_1KgWQnJO3rqqlqZEALNlSJu56mTLU.RVMTKSqaWlFs pRjUSXKe8c3gunTU6yzgXmVzwgooGcc&dib_tag=se&keyword s=bike+alarm&qid=1709314146&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
seems like a nice device, just have a concern when parked in the squares, if someone accidentally touches the cart while getting into their cart, will this startle them unsuspectingly and when does the alarm switch off - thanks for any thoughts here
Old 03-03-2024, 11:48 AM

Or use the apple air tag.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
When was the last time you heard the therm fuzz? 🙂
When I started growing public hair.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:29 PM

So anyone that knows carts will tell you to use some type of anti-theft device that keeps the cart from rolling.
Different key ignitions, security key pads, kill switches will not work for someone who knows.
I can start a quiet tech cart as fast as someone who has the key and drive off with it.
Im sure many of the other golf car techs on this page will agree.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Ways to make your golf cart seem less likely to be stolen:

1. Check Google Maps and discover you're 1,234 miles from New York City.

2. Look up the crime stats for The Villages, FL and find that there's been one stolen golf cart in a city of 100,000 golf carts in the last six months.

3. See a shrink about your paranoia.

4. Don't leave your keys in the cart, with your golf clubs in the back, when you drive it to the Square or Publix.

5. Install a kill switch, which you need anyway, to make the damned thing turn off that stupid alarm when you leave it in reverse.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
The photo of my FLSTS I posted a few posts back? This was my License Plate.
That looks a lot like my last HD, a 79 fhls. I painted it pearl white, chromed everything possible, added a sidecar and reverse. The day I sold it was a very happy time. I've never looked back. After that it was sport and adventure bikes for 20 years then back to cruisers made in Japan.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Ways to make your golf cart seem less likely to be stolen:

1. Check Google Maps and discover you're 1,234 miles from New York City.

2. Look up the crime stats for The Villages, FL and find that there's been one stolen golf cart in a city of 100,000 golf carts in the last six months.

3. See a shrink about your paranoia.

4. Don't leave your keys in the cart, with your golf clubs in the back, when you drive it to the Square or Publix.

5. Install a kill switch, which you need anyway, to make the damned thing turn off that stupid alarm when you leave it in reverse.
thank you for your response. I appreciate your attitude. It means I only have to make my cart slightly harder to steal than your cart.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgolfer View Post
I did two things which I believe gives me as much protection as possible.

1. I installed an ignition "lockout" in the dash between the ignition key and the gas gauge. This was an electrical "barrel lock" which has a unique key. You'll often see them on vending machines and electrical panels The key is round, the size of a pencil eraser, with serrations on the end. You'll find one on Amazon. All you need to do is cut the wire leading to the ignition switch and connect the two ends to the terminals on the barrel lock. The chance of a thief having the correct barrel key as well as the correct ignition key are next to nothing.

2. I installed a lock on the brake pedal which prevents the cart being towed or pushed. I drilled a hole in the top right corner of the pedal and a corresponding hole in the floor board. Next, I installed an eye bolt through the floor board with fender washers on both sides of the floor and nylock nuts on each side. With nuts on each side, you can adjust the length of the eye bolt so it is close to the brake pedal when it is fully depressed. Then, I bought a decent padlock with a slightly longer shackle and put it through the eye bolt and then through the hole in the brake pedal. Finally, just to be ultra-careful, I bent the end of the eyebolt under the floor to prevent the locknut from being removed.

The brake lock took no more than 10 minutes time to install. You need to be careful to get the two holes properly aligned. Although not necessary, I bent the eyebolt 90 deg to make it easier to insert the shackle of the padlock. Finally, you adjust the distance between the eyebolt and the brake pedal so the padlock will fit and will not allow the brake to be "kicked off" by pressing the gas pedal.

The barrel ignition took a little more work, perhaps 20 minutes. On a Yamaha you have to remove the top of the dash and then cut the wire leading to the ignition switch. You'll need to splice in some wire as you will connect the two ends to the barrel lock after the wires have been pushed through the hole you've drilled in the dash. Finally, I had to solder the ends of the wires to the barrel lock, although I expect you can find one with screw terminals.

The result has the appearance of a professional job.

I frequently use the ignition cut-out as the most common thefts are done with duplicate ignition keys. The brake lock I use when I have parked the cart in one of the parking lots behind the buildings at the squares or when I am at a restaurant or store outside The Villages where a thief might push or tow the cart away, particularly so at night.

I doubt that you can use a "brake pedal to steering wheel" lock as you need to lock the brake pedal in the "down" position. All of these locks I've seen go behind the pedal and keep it in the "up" position, which is the opposite of what you need with a golf cart.

I have seen several carts with tire "boots". Those would be effective, although they are messy to install, are heavy, will fill the basket on the cart, and will rattle around in the basket when the cart is in motion.
What if you turned the wheel all the way in one direction before mounting the lock. The cart would free-wheel, but not in a straight line. Wouldn't that make it difficult to tow out?
Keeping in mind that we aren't trying to make it impossible to steal, just enough of a PITA that a thief will move on to an easier target.

Tags
cart, pedal, make, wheel, key

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.