What is the best gas to use in Yamaha gas carts?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It doesn't matter where you buy your gas. Use Regular (87 octane), which has 10% ethanol. If your cart is going to sit for a length of time add some fuel stabilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klough53 View Post
Owner suggests regular from Colony, is this non ethanol?
Why this particular place?
Old 01-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

As President Truman once lamented "Someone find me a one handed economist.

The American past time is not Baseball...its peers debating what method is superior. Caulk don't caulk, wrap don't wrap, use regular gas no premium, less than 10% ethanol, no ethanol, stablizer no stablizer, diet don;t diet, eat meat don't eat meat Please someone find me a one handed expert I'm tired of hearing "on the other hand
Old 01-09-2016, 04:09 PM

I have a fuel injected Yamaha and I run regular from Colony and have no problems.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

With regard to which gas for a gas golf cart, read the owners manual. For Yamaha gas carts, regular with up to 10% ethanol is OK according to the people who made the cart. Not much to debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
As President Truman once lamented "Someone find me a one handed economist.

The American past time is not Baseball...its peers debating what method is superior. Caulk don't caulk, wrap don't wrap, use regular gas no premium, less than 10% ethanol, no ethanol, stablizer no stablizer, diet don;t diet, eat meat don't eat meat Please someone find me a one handed expert I'm tired of hearing "on the other hand
Old 01-09-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

Personally, I consider the mechanics the experts. Rather listen to them than even the owner's manual. They know what goes wrong in carts and why.
Use whatever fuel makes you happy but I agree, the soon to be three Villages golf cart stores have chosen to sell Ethanol free fuels and no doubt they could have gotten regular gasoline with Ethanol easier.

Mechanics see the problems, manufacturers want to you to buy another unit.

Phase shift or separation is just one of the hidden problems with Ethanol.

Phase Separation in E-10 Gasoline

What is Phase Separation?
E-10 gasoline is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air). If enough water is present, either from condensation or contaminated fuel, E-10 will separate into two layers of liquid: a top layer which is almost all gasoline, and a bottom layer which is almost all ethanol (up to 75%) and water (and oil, in 2-cycle fuel). This process is called phase separation, and may make an engine difficult or impossible to start.

Problems with Phase Separation

Phase separation will pull the octane booster out of the fuel, suddenly dropping 89 octane to 82 or 83. If the fuel filter is clean but the engine has no power, phase separation with octane drop has probably occurred.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Use whatever fuel makes you happy but I agree, the soon to be three Villages golf cart stores have chosen to sell Ethanol free fuels and no doubt they could have gotten regular gasoline with Ethanol easier.

E-10 gasoline is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the air). If enough water is present, either from condensation or contaminated fuel, E-10 will separate into two layers of liquid: a top layer which is almost all gasoline, and a bottom layer which is almost all ethanol (up to 75%) and water (and oil, in 2-cycle fuel). This process is called phase separation, and may make an engine difficult or impossible to start.

Phase separation will pull the octane booster out of the fuel, suddenly dropping 89 octane to 82 or 83. If the fuel filter is clean but the engine has no power, phase separation with octane drop has probably occurred.

OMG, is the moon blue? Is this February 30th? I find myself 100% in agreement with KIR. I'm off to the psychiatrist to get my head checked
Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Sage

If you are using the cart regularly this is not a problem. If your cart sits for long periods of time it may be an issue.

Quote:

Old 01-09-2016, 11:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I also noticed the difference once i filled up with non-ethanol gas. The engine was noticeably quieter and smoother. I fill up at Marathon.
Is that why your TOTV name is Marathon Man?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

I like Seafoam for extended down time..works good in my tbird
Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Is that why your TOTV name is Marathon Man?
It is not. And I did not notice the coincidence when I typed it. Almost looks like I'm advertising that particular company.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OMG, is the moon blue? Is this February 30th? I find myself 100% in agreement with KIR. I'm off to the psychiatrist to get my head checked

None of the above, maybe you're just learning a few things...
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
None of the above, maybe you're just learning a few things...
That's entirely possible. On second thought, maybe not.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Veteran member

Higher octane runs cooler.May be good for carts. Also 93 octane stops the ping in an engine. Research it for yourself.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Golf cart engines, at least the one in my Yamaha, are low compression engines (8.1:1) and do not require premium fuel (93 octane). Using higher octane than required is a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Higher octane runs cooler.May be good for carts. Also 93 octane stops the ping in an engine. Research it for yourself.

Last edited by tuccillo; 01-12-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 AM

I usually put the 93 in. Personally I don't think the cart stinks as much and never back fires or spits exhaust. Just my experience.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, carts, yamaha

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.