What constitutes a "Street Legal" cart.

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Platinum member

And, I think, there are "rules" allowing these "street legal" vehicles to cross but not travel along roads with speed limits over 35. So, a street legal could cross 27/441 but not travel along it. Or, cross 466, but not travel along it.

I can't figure out why anyone would want such a vehicle, whose limitations make them really quite impractical! But, that's what makes the world go 'round!

SWR
Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Gold member

Well it depends on where you live and where you need to get to. Say you live in the north part of The Village of Santo Domingo and want to go to the Wal-Mart, or any of the restaurants, or medical facilities on the other side of 441. In a NEV, it’s a short drive because you can cross over 441 at the Buenos Aires Blvd. intersection. But in a cart, you’d have to go all the way down to the golf cart bridge and wind your way back just to get to the other side of that intersection, and then do it again for the trip back.

There’s also the inevitable need for speed. For some people, the extra 5 or 6 miles an hour and the ability to pass slow moving carts is enough to justify the additional cost. I know many of you will say “what’s the rush”, but that’s just the way it is with some people.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Taltarzac
Default Valid driver's licenses also needed for street legal golfcarts.

http://www.fairwaygolfcartsonline.co...s-florida.html

I know that some Villages who do not have valid driver's licenses drive regular golf carts around the Villages. But there is another wrinkle to street legal carts as you need a driver's license to drive these. And I see from my link that they also need seat belts.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

TH, I think the key is to look for a license plate....GN
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
And, I think, there are "rules" allowing these "street legal" vehicles to cross but not travel along roads with speed limits over 35. So, a street legal could cross 27/441 but not travel along it. Or, cross 466, but not travel along it.

I can't figure out why anyone would want such a vehicle, whose limitations make them really quite impractical! But, that's what makes the world go 'round!

SWR
So the question is: Have the intersections crossing 441 to Lowe's and crossing Rolling Acres Road to the shopping on the south been APPROVED to cross? Last I knew, they weren't. Matter of fact, there was a story in the Daily News a while back talking about if this was going to be a possibility when they opened up the shipping shouth of Rolling Acres. There are still signs prohibiting carts from crossing 441 to get to Lowe's.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Eternal Member

I can't figure out why this wan't posted in the golf cart forum.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Founder

It's a question of safety more than about buying a golf cart.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
So the question is: Have the intersections crossing 441 to Lowe's and crossing Rolling Acres Road to the shopping on the south been APPROVED to cross? Last I knew, they weren't. Matter of fact, there was a story in the Daily News a while back talking about if this was going to be a possibility when they opened up the shipping shouth of Rolling Acres. There are still signs prohibiting carts from crossing 441 to get to Lowe's.
Golf carts can NOT cross any highway, including 441/27/466, and that is unlikely to change in the future. To cross those highways, you must have a registered NEV/LSV.

You might find the following link interesting, where some Spruce Creek South owners attempted to petition the Florida Deptartment of Transportation and the Governor (to no avail) to obtain a special golf cart permit to cross the highway at their entrance.

http://ourscs.com/default.php
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Eternal Member

Category title is "All About Golf Carts", the queestion was "What constitutes a street legal golf cart". Seemed like a match to me.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY View Post
Category title is "All About Golf Carts", the queestion was "What constitutes a street legal golf cart". Seemed like a match to me.
Here you go. I'm easy to get along with!!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
Here you go. I'm easy to get along with!!
Me too!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.