Who's into Customizing Carts..?.

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2022, 07:11 AM

I'm also doing this to my electric carts. I've swapped the motor and controller in my 2019 ClubCar Onward lifted to a SilverWolf A/C motor and controller along with a Dakota lithium 48v battery.
I'm very interested in building my own battery for a future swap. The scary part about how these lithium batteries work is how they give little to no warning before the low voltage cutoff leaves you dead on the road. I have a 48v server rack battery that I'm considering installing along with the Dakota as an emergency backup to get you back home or to the next electrical outlet.
I would be interested in joining a club if we can get one set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Ok guys (and girls),
I know that I'm not the only retired gearhead thats now into customizing golf carts. I don't mean just bolting on a set of tires and a steering wheel. I'm talking about other guys getting deep into their carts, doing cool things like:

- building their own lithium batteries (I'm finishing up #6 now)
- motor and controller swaps
- custom body modifications
- custom painting
- custom suspension upgrades
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

My current and biggest project to date is a CC DS, with a 57 T-Bird body, hand-built 202ah 86v Lifep04 battery, 600A Navitas AC motor/controller conversion, Disc brakes, wheelie bars, lots of custom metal work, etc.

I know other guys like me are out there and I thought it could be fun to meet, possibly share ideas and collaborate on projects and maybe even line up side by side for a 100 yds somewhere safe. πŸ€” 😎😁

I haven't seen an organized Villages club for this stuff yet...

Thanks, hope to meet ya and keep the dirty side down!
Old 09-11-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Ok guys (and girls),
I know that I'm not the only retired gearhead thats now into customizing golf carts. I don't mean just bolting on a set of tires and a steering wheel. I'm talking about other guys getting deep into their carts, doing cool things like:

- custom painting
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

My current and biggest project to date is a CC DS, with a 57 T-Bird body, hand-built 202ah 86v Lifep04 battery, 600A Navitas AC motor/controller conversion, Disc brakes, wheelie bars, lots of custom metal work, etc.

I know other guys like me are out there and I thought it could be fun to meet, possibly share ideas and collaborate on projects and maybe even line up side by side for a 100 yds somewhere safe. πŸ€” 😎😁

You’re incredible!
Old 09-11-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Ok guys (and girls),

- custom painting
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

Well done!
Old 09-11-2022, 07:39 AM

So very cool. I want to put some camber plates on the front of my EZGO to give better turn in. Also thought of building a cart - something low-slung like a Miata.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:27 AM

Nice work, interested in joining club, and lend a pair of hands anytime.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:32 AM

Have plans for a street rod cart powered by a 1200cc (96 HP) Harley Davidson Big Twin. Hinged and louvered engine covers lift up to reveal the front mounted engine. Headers exit at the rear adjacent to (required) anti-wheelie bars. Geared way down and using under-inflated (14" wide) rear tires with a stiff clutch, previous builders claim zero to 20 MPH in about one second. Only need garage space and a few metal working tools to start the build. Does this qualify as a "custom build"?
Old 09-11-2022, 08:49 AM

Sounds like fun. I would like to see your golf carts some time.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:21 AM
Default RoyPow 72v CC DS

Quote:
Ok guys (and girls),

- custom painting
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

I know other guys like me are out there and I thought it could be fun to meet, possibly share ideas and collaborate on projects and maybe even line up side by side for a 100 yds somewhere safe. ν Ύν΄” 😎😁

WOW, I sure wish I would have met you about $15,000 ago!
I am in the middle of a build that I am having difficulties with.
Can I hire you? ν ½νΈ‚ν ½νΈ‚
I definitely have some questions for you, I take it you're producing your own parts. I was thinking along the lines of motorcycle wheelie bars, but you may have something much better in mind. Somehow I'm going to have to get with you and take a look.

Last edited by RickyLee; 09-11-2022 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Misspelled (talk to text)
Old 09-11-2022, 09:41 AM

I am also interested in this "Club", but, I need some technical/electrical assistance right now. Looking to hire a technician that is familiar with Navitas lithium power
Old 09-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I'm also doing this to my electric carts. I've swapped the motor and controller in my 2019 ClubCar Onward lifted to a SilverWolf A/C motor and controller along with a Dakota lithium 48v battery.
I'm very interested in building my own battery for a future swap. The scary part about how these lithium batteries work is how they give little to no warning before the low voltage cutoff leaves you dead on the road. I have a 48v server rack battery that I'm considering installing along with the Dakota as an emergency backup to get you back home or to the next electrical outlet.
Far as lithium ion batteries and little or no warning. I used to sell flash units with different battery options. There is no such thing as a perfect answer yet we demand one. Lead acid batteries the voltage falls off gradually as the battery, or pile of batteries, pile of cells runs down. That makes it easy to measure voltage and get a guess as to remaining charge. Lithium ion batteries have first of all dropped in price, compared to what they used to cost.
For their weight, compared to LEAD acid, they can store far more electricity. They have a flat voltage curve, the reason why a lithium ion cart does not slow down as the charge is withdrawn. A proper battery pile should prevent total discharge. In a pile of cells, they are not all perfectly matched. If, you run the battery too far down the stronger cells will reverse the polarity, destroy, the weakest cells.

An old yet modern electric car, truck system. Same as a rechargeable drill, you own more than one battery pack and trade a charged one for a discharged one. The design calls for easy to switch batteries-perhaps an assembly under the cart as it was done with electric trucks.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:10 AM

I've done a lithium (RoyPow) battery and Navitas contoller swap on both my carts. One is 05 EZGO and other is a19 Yamaha. Both turned out fantastic. Using the re-gen, almost don't need brakes so they will last forever. 105aH gives you all the distance you need because your butt will get tired before running out of juice.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
Endless debate elect vs gas. There is or was a twin cylinder engine that can be mounted in a Yamaha. Far as electric. There are pictures of a guy carrying a gasoline generator in the trunk of his electric car.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Very nice. Pictures when complete please. I did a lift on my 2004 club car and 4 wheel disc brakes on a Yamaha. Nothing like what your doing, but still projects. I have since sold both carts but I really did like those disc brakes so am thinking of doing that project again on my current Yamaha.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:35 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default awesome

Quote:
Ok guys (and girls),

- custom painting
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

awesome job
Old 09-11-2022, 12:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok guys (and girls),

- custom painting
- performance upgrades
- stereo / speakers
- anything else cool

VERY impressive! As an old gearhead myself, who has pretty much retired from tinkering, I really appreciate your embracing EV's - instead of denigrating anything that's not an ICE.

While I will always love "suck/squeeze/bang/blow," you are an inspiration - for where the future is headed. Great work!
Closed Thread

Tags
custom, side, guys, carts, meet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.