Will This Apply to Lithium Battery Golf Carts?

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2023, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Below is a statement about EV cars/trucks only.

The statement that "tires are the new oil change" resonates with the industry, particularly due to the weight of EVs' batteries. EVs often weigh significantly more than their internal-combustion-engine counterparts, making regular tire rotations crucial.

Does it factor in lithium golf cars also?
Are the lithium battery carts tires different?
SMH like this should even be a question..... sigh
Old 12-14-2023, 06:59 PM
Default Brilliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
SMH like this should even be a question..... sigh
Do explain, please.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
“regular tire rotations are crucial”?
And why is that? Never rotated my Ezgo with lithium tires. 7 years now. Same tires. Tire rotation is a waste of time.

Have you looked at tires?
Old 12-14-2023, 11:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest737 View Post
“regular tire rotations are crucial”?
And why is that? Never rotated my Ezgo with lithium tires. 7 years now. Same tires. Tire rotation is a waste of time.
My Yamaha gas cart is 8 years old with original tires. I bought it less than 2 years ago from the original owner. Last month the rear tires were down to nearly bald while the front tires looked barely worn. We called "The Tire Guy" who is well respected in TV and he recommended we replace the 2 rear tires completely.

It's quite obvious that tire rotation would've extended the life of those tires if they were rotated.
Old 12-15-2023, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

MOST electric golf carts are designed (center of gravity) around the weight of about 400-500lbs of regular batteries sitting in the middle under the seats depending on the carts voltage requirments (mine is 72V). When they are "upgraded" to about 150lbs of lithium batteries it has to affect the COG. If one buys a cart that is DESIGNED for lithium batteries, it would likely take that weight under consideration. I have also read where some places doing UPGRADES add a couple hundred pounds of BALLAST to maintain the same COG by using old not connected regular batteries.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
MOST electric golf carts are designed (center of gravity) around the weight of about 400-500lbs of regular batteries sitting in the middle under the seats depending on the carts voltage requirments (mine is 72V). When they are "upgraded" to about 150lbs of lithium batteries it has to affect the COG. If one buys a cart that is DESIGNED for lithium batteries, it would likely take that weight under consideration. I have also read where some places doing UPGRADES add a couple hundred pounds of BALLAST to maintain the same COG by using old not connected regular batteries.
That seems strange to add weight just to add weight. Maybe after lighter batteries were added a customer complained that it made the springs seem stiffer and the ride seemed rougher. So, the dealer just added weight instead of changing the springs? That's the only explanation that I can think of (and it's not a very good one).
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, tires, battery, golf, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.