Windshield cleaning?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Yep, just Google "meguiars plastic polish" - they have several different products for plastics.

Bill
Our windshield on the Club Car had some circular scratches. Had to be from the previous owner using something abrasive when cleaning. After reading this post and Googling, my wife picked up some Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish at Wal-Mart for me.

I just did a spot by rubbing it in, then wiping off with an old 100% cotton tee shirt. The spot looked better, but still had scratches. I tried again, but this time applied a bit more elbow grease. This is great shoulder workout and the windshield looks 98% better.

Thanks for this reference, if it works well on the whole windshield, you may have saved me $90 for a new windshield
Old 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
l2, what's the name of it? I might want to order some online.
Part of my Googling (must be cool to start a company that becomes a verb) found this:

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/4256

Looks like the same type stuff I2 mentioned and it was invented by a pilot so it must be good
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Part of my Googling (must be cool to start a company that becomes a verb) found this:

Looks like the same type stuff I2 mentioned and it was invented by a pilot so it must be good
Thanks. Hey, maybe Fumar invented it.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Our windshield on the Club Car had some circular scratches. Had to be from the previous owner using something abrasive when cleaning. After reading this post and Googling, my wife picked up some Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish at Wal-Mart for me.

I just did a spot by rubbing it in, then wiping off with an old 100% cotton tee shirt. The spot looked better, but still had scratches. I tried again, but this time applied a bit more elbow grease. This is great shoulder workout and the windshield looks 98% better.

Thanks for this reference, if it works well on the whole windshield, you may have saved me $90 for a new windshield

aj - Good deal! Glad it seems to be working for you. Sometimes the scratches can be so bad that NOTHING will take them out. If they're just light ones on the surface, then it should do well.

Meguiar's (as well as other companies) market products that are just intended for general cleaning/upkeep/protection of plastic. I wouldn't suggest using the PlastX for anything other than scratch removal.

Again, hope the rest of the windshield turns out great!

Bill
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Platinum member

When we bought our carts, we were told to be sure and use CLEAN cloths that have absolutely no dirt on them. Otherwise, you scratch the windshield.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Thanks. Hey, maybe Fumar invented it.
Nope, I didn't invent it but used it all the time , Its called ALLKLEER , comes in a squeeze bottle and works great....
I'm sure leesburg airport has it ..............Let you in on a little secret , apply a coat to the front of your car , works great for love bugs.....

fumar ......
Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
Nope, I didn't invent it but used it all the time , Its called ALLKLEER , comes in a squeeze bottle and works great....
I'm sure leesburg airport has it ..............Let you in on a little secret , apply a coat to the front of your car , works great for love bugs.....

fumar ......
Thanks for the tip, fumar. I might just give it a shot - always looking for new things to try out.

Bill
Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM

We were told to Use only WINDEX AUTO GLASS. It cost a little more but it is what everyone at the Golf Cart Stores recommended. We have used it with no problems..
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Sage

I interrupt this thread for a brief hijacking. Eve, your dog photo is sooooo precious.

Hijack over and out.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Default Ahh, thank you

quote=Pturner;315353]I interrupt this thread for a brief hijacking. Eve, your dog photo is sooooo precious.

Hijack over and out.[/quote]

and Annie thanks you too.........
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post

fumar ......
Fumar,

Thanks for the info. In have been looking for a cleaner. I just ordered it from the Pilot Store.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 PM

Thanks for al the info. I think I'll wait until it warms up before I try anything.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoane View Post
Thanks for al the info. I think I'll wait until it warms up before I try anything.
Now, THAT sounds like a plan!!!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 PM
Bosoxfan

I wax the windshield after I wash it with soap & water.It helps with the raindrops beading up along with a clear view!!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:34 PM
KittyKat
Thumbs up

Quote:

Thanks, AJ. Just ordered 2 bottles and a pkg of lint-free towels. Had rave reviews from 2 pilots and a golf cart owner. Hope it takes my scratches out. All I used was water from a spray bottle followed by a microfiber towel and it scratched like crazy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.