Yamaha Battery Carts

Old 04-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,298 Times in 4,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Someone who lives in Moultrie Creek and wants to play Lopez??????
Welcome back! I hope your "vacation" was prosperous...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-26-2024, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Welcome back! I hope your "vacation" was prosperous...
He's back! & He's right! If the electric carts are getting 50+ miles, then the new villages of Moultrie Creek, Shady Brooke, & Water's Edge will spend most of that 50 mile range coming & going with not much left over for a round at Lopez. Actually, they probably could play, but would need charging stations on the way home.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
It's a free country and you can drive what you want but none of these things are true about EVs. The reality if that you have a full tank every morning with 250+ miles of range. On a trip you bang out 200 miles, take a pit stop, and you're ready for another 3 hours of driving. Mine cost under 35K and the thing drives itself. It's a ridiculous improvement over my 2017 ICE vehicle. But there will be plenty of gas cars to drive for the next several decades, fossil fuels aren't going anywhere. The modern ICE car is a marvel of engineering, no doubt about that. I just wish they could get the efficiency a little higher.

I agree with the OP....if you can buy an EV that goes 250 miles and lasts for hundreds of thousands of miles for $35-40K, why does it cost $20K for an electric golf car? And why doesn't Yamaha make it?

Joe
Just a guess, but government subsidies on electric cars may be why the EV is $40K and cart is 20. No subsidies for golf carts.

Anyhow I'm waiting for the hydrogen powered carts.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
While I understand many of the arguments for and against electric golf carts IMHO it will have very little effect on your smelling exhaust. I have a Yamaha gas cart, and the only time I smell the exhaust from MY cart is when I am backing up.
I ALWAYS smell golf carts when I am working in my front yard and they go by. They have to be about 30ft away before the smell rises above the exhaust pipe level. Newer Yamaha golf carts have little or no smell compared to other models and older Yamaha golf carts.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Do you realize that Yamaha has been making both gas and electric carts for some time now ? What is new is that they now offer lithium-ion batteries in addition to lead-acid batteries in their electric carts. Approximately 80% of the golf cart market is electric.
I believe that the 80% number is for the total USA. For SOME (?) unknown reason The Villages has a greater % of gas golf carts.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 04-26-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I believe that the 80% number is for the total USA. For SOME (?) unknown reason The Villages has a greater % of gas golf carts.
Probably because most of the country uses them for only golf and we use them for regular transportation.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:03 PM
Sage

No mystery at all. When I bought a gas cart 10 years ago, I estimated I would be spending $1000 every 2 -3 years on new batteries for an electric cart based on how many miles I thought we would put on the cart each year. The choice of a gas cart was pretty much a no-brainer. It turns out my estimate of annual miles was a bit low so the decision was better than I originally thought. With the availability of lithium-ion batteries, the equation has changed and electric carts are more attractive to me now. In fact, we own a gas cart and an electric cart. Since electric carts had more than enough range 10 years ago, that was never an issue. Since you don't own a golf cart, I don't really expect that you would have understood this.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2024, 07:19 PM
Sage

No. Lithium-ion batteries are very light; much lighter than lead-acid batteries. I doubt weight is an issue. It is more likely that Yamaha's primary market for their lithium-ion carts is golf courses where only enough range for 2 rounds of golf is required. They can keep the price lower by right-sizing the battery for the application. Perhaps they will eventually offer higher capacity lithium-ion batteries for other applications where greater range would be attractive.

Quote:
Maybe Yamaha is content with the 50 miles and uses LIGHTER batteries which jmprove handling, acceleration, and deceleration when compared to the brands that use heavier batteries. Higher weight can be a disadvantage. And Yamaha has a reputation for quality that they want to protect, so I would give them the benefit of any doubt.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,968 Times in 2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfan View Post
They are not. Maybe closed-minded people who don't recognize technology advancements think gas-power is the only transportation option for life.
I see you didn’t take mommy’s advice.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
I find it hard to believe you believe anything?
Old 04-26-2024, 09:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
I ALWAYS smell golf carts when I am working in my front yard and they go by. They have to be about 30ft away before the smell rises above the exhaust pipe level. Newer Yamaha golf carts have little or no smell compared to other models and older Yamaha golf carts.

Maybe you’re smelling your own gas ?
Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 PM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Why can't Yamaha make a good battery cart? I asked the salesman about their carts and he said that Yamaha doesn't make a good battery cart for distance. Why? Other cart brands get + 50 mile run time.
Dealers will lie about electric carts & never go for the hard sell because they make a ton of money in service charges with gas carts. Electric carts are pretty much maintenance free with very few components. Gas carts are a goldmine for the service department due to their complexity and maintenance including oil changes, filter changes, belts, hoses, coolant, injectors, starters, etc. It's the same at car dealers; they want you to buy a gas powered vehicle not an electric one.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,133 Times in 2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Dealers will lie about electric carts & never go for the hard sell because they make a ton of money in service charges with gas carts. Electric carts are pretty much maintenance free with very few components. Gas carts are a goldmine for the service department due to their complexity and maintenance including oil changes, filter changes, belts, hoses, coolant, injectors, starters, etc. It's the same at car dealers; they want you to buy a gas powered vehicle not an electric one.
?????? Our three gas carts have been relatively maintenance free for over 8 years. With the exception of a blown leaf spring, nothing but very easy DIY annual tune ups that takes me about 20 minutes per cart. Electric carts also have leaf springs, and they are more likely to blow out with the battery weight.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:13 AM
Default Buy used then enhance it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Why can't Yamaha make a good battery cart? I asked the salesman about their carts and he said that Yamaha doesn't make a good battery cart for distance. Why? Other cart brands get + 50 mile run time.
Buy a quality used one like below then add a couple 100 AH 48 volt Li-ion batteries running in parallel for $2000.
For well under 6 grand you will have a maintenance free cart for the next 10 years with range of 80 miles. And 1 cent per mile for fuel.

48V 100Ah Lifepo4 Lithium Battery Solar 100A BMS Boat Golf Cart VAN RV Camper | eBay
Old 04-27-2024, 06:17 AM
Sage

Coolant ? There isn't any coolant. They are air cooled. Regarding the rest of the stuff, my Yamaha has been very reliable with minimal maintenance - about 1 hour per year by myself. "Complexity" is not a word I would associate with gas golf carts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post

Last edited by biker1; 04-27-2024 at 06:39 AM.

Tags
cart, yamaha, battery, carts, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.