Yamaha battery drain / speedometer rewire

Old 04-07-2024, 01:31 PM
Default Yamaha battery drain / speedometer rewire

For those that have had their speedometer rewired, who did you have perform the service? My speedometer appears to go off when the key is switched off, but my battery goes dead at about a week, if not driven. It is a 2022 Quietech. Makes no sense that it needs to be driven every couple of days, or be kept on a charger.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,466 Posts

Do you have lots of LED lights that delay on after key off? If got multi-meter connect it between battery and cables with key off see it if shows voltage. If so pull fuses one at time time you have no voltage. Now you have it narrowed down to that circuit. Or you could back probe the Speedo see if it’s drawing anything with key off.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,169 Times in 2,258 Posts

IMHO, get or borrow a digital meter with DC amperage capability. Set the meter to around 2 amps, and take the negative lead off the battery then connect the meter BETWEEN the battery negative terminal and the wire you just removed. You should get a reading of zero or very close to zero. If you do not get this result, you have a parasitic load. Then you can do as noted above and start removing fuses one at a time until the reading goes to zero. I have seen radios, anything plugged into a USB socket, the speedometer and some other accessories cause a drain on the battery when the device is supposedly off.
Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like discuss further.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:08 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
For those that have had their speedometer rewired, who did you have perform the service? My speedometer appears to go off when the key is switched off, but my battery goes dead at about a week, if not driven. It is a 2022 Quietech. Makes no sense that it needs to be driven every couple of days, or be kept on a charger.
Don't all speedometers go off when the key is off??

Have you had your battery tested?? ..................... could be a bad battery.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Have you had your battery tested?? ..................... could be a bad battery.
Good point, from a few people I have talked to it appears Yamaha puts in a 1 year battery, and apparently some of the dealers do the same. If you take the battery to an automotive parts store, they can test the battery, and if necessary to replace they have 1, 2, and 3 year warranty batteries. I typically get the 3 year battery, and have not collected on a warranty on a golf cart battery as they last longer than 3 years.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,958 Times in 2,466 Posts

I took it he was taking about cart starting battery not battery in speedometer? I willing to bet it’s aftermarket add on causing battery good dead it it’s starting battery?
Old 04-07-2024, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,037 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
My cart is exactly the same year and model same problem. So I took it in to Sumter Golf carts I know they say “cars” but you won’t find one car there…lol….

There are a few choices. You can get a stronger battery, which means higher cranking Amps; 650 or higher will last (years) longer. Yamaha puts in a cheap battery. Second, you can have a kill switch, which shuts off all power. Husband put it in as an anti theft device, hidden but easy to access. Every time you leave the cart for hours or more turn on the kill switch. Saves battery. Third, trickle charge battery with a battery tender/maintainer (not expensive equipment very simple to use - even I can do it) when you get the code, 4 long red flashes 6 short flashes on the Yamaha fuel gauge (which is in the center of the front panel). I know they say drive drive, drive but when it’s raining or it’s the cold etc and you may not have to rewire which given that you are still using the same battery, I don’t know how much that would help.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-07-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,037 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

No, it doesn’t especially when the battery is low, I watched it stayed on for hours. When the battery is full it goes off with the key. Go figure….
Old 04-07-2024, 07:22 PM

There was a thread back in January/February with several folks having the battery drain issue. There were two or three that indicated they had their Cheetah speedometer rewired to the ignition switch and that had solved their problem. I’m not very knowledgeable about electrical systems, so I was trying to determine who they had do the rewire job. I don’t know where the speedometer was originally wired in their carts. Mine has always gone dark, apparently off, when I turn the ignition switch off. I suppose it could be drawing current even though it appears to be off. I don’t have a radio installed, and don’t have anything plugged into the USB port.

My original battery was replaced at about 9 months, after going dead after sitting about two weeks. Went bad again in a few months after sitting a week and I charged it. A couple of months ago went dead again after about a week not driven. Had it taken to Villages Golf Cars and they said battery tested ok and they only charged it. Dead again today after sitting about a week. I’m not sure of the brand of the original battery, but I noted today that the battery is from Batteries and Bulbs.

I guess I don’t really trust Villages Golf Cars to look at it again. Their advice a couple of months ago was to drive it every couple of days. My 2015 Yamaha could sit much longer without being driven and didn’t go dead for five years before replacement.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:32 AM

I added my own led headlights, side lights and undercarriage lights. Everything goes thru the ignition switch so they all get turned off with the key.
You can buy a remote controlled kill switch.
Some think I'm nuts but over 14 years on my 2010 Yamaha I have only twice replaced my dead 12v battery with a marine battery from Sams. Same size and capacity and was actually cheaper. They are better suited for the deeper discharge and recharge they experience on a golf cart. I'm also a snowbird.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
There was a thread back in January/February with several folks having the battery drain issue. There were two or three that indicated they had their Cheetah speedometer rewired to the ignition switch and that had solved their problem. I’m not very knowledgeable about electrical systems, so I was trying to determine who they had do the rewire job. I don’t know where the speedometer was originally wired in their carts. Mine has always gone dark, apparently off, when I turn the ignition switch off. I suppose it could be drawing current even though it appears to be off. I don’t have a radio installed, and don’t have anything plugged into the USB port.

My original battery was replaced at about 9 months, after going dead after sitting about two weeks. Went bad again in a few months after sitting a week and I charged it. A couple of months ago went dead again after about a week not driven. Had it taken to Villages Golf Cars and they said battery tested ok and they only charged it. Dead again today after sitting about a week. I’m not sure of the brand of the original battery, but I noted today that the battery is from Batteries and Bulbs.

I guess I don’t really trust Villages Golf Cars to look at it again. Their advice a couple of months ago was to drive it every couple of days. My 2015 Yamaha could sit much longer without being driven and didn’t go dead for five years before replacement.
Yes, this is a known issue with the newer Yamaha carts and the Cheetah speedometers. Some have it rewired to the ignition which corrects the problem but causes a small delay on it powering up when the cart is started. We had them (The Villages Carts) simply replace it with one of the older model units and we have not had the problem.
Old 04-08-2024, 02:09 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,786 Times in 3,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No, it doesn’t especially when the battery is low, I watched it stayed on for hours. When the battery is full it goes off with the key. Go figure….
Since the OP appeared to be concerned about it going off with the key, my response was to indicate that's okay.
Old 04-08-2024, 03:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvillager View Post
I added my own led headlights, side lights and undercarriage lights. Everything goes thru the ignition switch so they all get turned off with the key.
You can buy a remote controlled kill switch.
Some think I'm nuts but over 14 years on my 2010 Yamaha I have only twice replaced my dead 12v battery with a marine battery from Sams. Same size and capacity and was actually cheaper. They are better suited for the deeper discharge and recharge they experience on a golf cart. I'm also a snowbird.
Make sure you are aware of the total load when doing this, there are 2 potential problems. First, excessive voltage drop due to the additional load can cause the battery to overcharge (see my post in the DIY and Golf cart areas on this). Second it is possible to cause the MAIN fuse to blow due to the additional load, I have personally seen this in 2 cases. I use separate feeds to additional loads, and install relays off the ignition switch to eliminate these concerns.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:09 PM

Does anyone have a wiring diagram (installation manual) for the Cheetah that can be posted here or somewhere accessible please?
Not asking for the operation (flyer) manual.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:43 PM

Todd Casey rewired mine so that it wasn't draining the battery when the key was off.

Tags
speedometer, driven, battery, yamaha, quietech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.