Yamaha Lithium is here....

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2022, 08:36 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I take it that the purpose of this thread is to "trash talk" electric golf carts! I will be an outlier and take the opposite side of this argument. I will suppose that everyone here loves their sons, daughters, and grandchildren. And I will take it as a GIVEN that they are aware of Global Warming. And spare me the "it's just natural cycles of the climate-changing", please - since most climate scientists KNOW that it is man-made and that the last 7 years is the warmest in RECENT HISTORY (maybe sometime 1 million years ago was warmer, but humans don't live quite that long, or worry about ice ages)
.......1st let's talk about the short term with respect to battery-powered golf carts. Note : I am not aware whether there are or are not HYBRID golf carts, but I could see that as a great solution to the "dealer-salesman-promoted" range anxiety that permeates TOTV golf cart posts. AND a great way for "conservative golfers" to be led into the future, promised land of E golf-vehicles. So.....short term.....to make an experiment that MIGHT (?) change minds and PROVE my point - simply sit outside, within 10 feet of a residential street with a LOT OF golf cart traffic and other traffic. Use a very sophisticated piece of test equipment......your nose. Wait for a day in which the prevailing WIND is lightly blowing toward your nose. You will reach the conclusion that OLDER or out-of-tune GASOLINE golf cars are very, VERY, SUPER STINKY. Note : when you are riding inside a golf cart the FRESH wind saves you, yourself, from inhaling the noxious FUMES. BUT, the environment and joggers, walkers, and other OLDER members of your TV Land brothers and sisters are NOT SO LUCKY ......to be continued
Also should suggest having a person drive 2-3 miles straight with the curtains down. I rarely use curtains. During heavy rainstorm, had curtains down and gas smell/fumes were noticeably higher. Had to wonder if this could cause carbon monoxide problem.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,971 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote:
Continued.....short term - you will notice that many gas carts are also VERY noisy and seem to vibrate as if they want to throw off all their bolts. You will probably also see speeds pushing 35 mph illegally, but a different issue. If an Electric Golf Cart happens to come by (there are more of them here than people think), it will be noticed that there is NO excessive noise, stink or pollution generated. And the acceleration from a stop is better.
......The cost of an Electric may be greater than the cost of a gas golf cart - but, the cost of maintaining an electric is MUCH lower. Gasoline costs more than electricity and there is that wanted trip OFTEN to the gas station and the time spent to consider. Electric motors are a more reliable even today and will get better in the future - they have much less moving parts and parts moving in a SMOOTH circle and not a jarring, metal breaking back and forth, reciprocating motion. ........I will write about the long-term advantages of Electric vehicles IF and only if there is more interest in this subject and less one-sided comments.
Do you own golf cart?
Old 03-18-2022, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Also should suggest having a person drive 2-3 miles straight with the curtains down. I rarely use curtains. During heavy rainstorm, had curtains down and gas smell/fumes were noticeably higher. Had to wonder if this could cause carbon monoxide problem.
Then buy electric golf cart. Why torcher yourself.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Finally, some positive clarity!
Nothing going to be cheaper in the future. Nothing.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post

Is so there would be people lining the streets in the winter. You may be able to smell it but too much air flow to cause you to pass out and die.

Actually you’re not smelling Carbon monoxide (CM) it odorless and tasteless. What you’re smelling combustion process of internal engine which produces CM

Last edited by Topspinmo; 05-08-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Nothing going to be cheaper in the future. Nothing.
That's the truth.

Wake up people, the old days are gone.

Your dollar is worth less in one year then any time in the history of the world.
And the penny is still in circulation, amazing
Old 05-10-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Yea, wait until they have to buy another Lithium battery, expensive! Electric transportation just to get 40 miles in a golf cart & maybe 150 miles in a new $80,000. car is a joke. Our country is starting to be a joke! Do what you want but not me!
I'm concerned we may not be alive long enough to see that day.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauron57 View Post
I converted my 2019 Yamaha PTV to Lithium myself. I removed almost 400 lbs net (my cart had 8ea 6v batteries). The new battery w/ charger, delivered to my door, cost ~ $2700 in Oct 2021. It took me about 2.5 hours to convert it. Removed the old batteries, which were still fine, and easily sold them $50 each within a week. Cart is lighter, handles better, acceleration is waaayyy better and stops better with less weight. I live in the Pine Hills/Pine Ridge part of the villages, have gone up to Lopez for 18 holes and back home with NO concern at all. If you want to convert yours, send me a msg. I'd be happy to help...and no...I don't get commission. I've had 4 new Yamaha PTV's since 2017, both gas and electric, and don't see myself ever going back to gas.

///

Last edited by rustyp; 05-10-2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,210 Times in 763 Posts

I'm waiting for nuclear powered carts to come out.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
The Star uses a 210ah battery good for at least 80 miles. It was $18, 300 a few months ago. for 2 passenger...About the same as EZGO Elite 4.2
My EZ Go Elite was $19,600 with all the upgrades. The base price was $16,395.

When I picked it up at The Villages Golf Cars in Brownwood in December, I looked at the Star and the salesman told me that they start at $22,000. I figured with the same upgrades it would be close to $25,000.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,153 Times in 2,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca21455 View Post
For Yamaha to say they the industry leader is BS. Evolution has a 180 ah battery and easily goes over 60 miles on a charge.
Replacement batteries are running under $2,000 and will be better and cheaper in the future.
Current experience life of Lithium batteries is well over 5 years.
Not BS, the Quiet-Tech is the golf cart industry leader.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

Lithium is nice, but you've got to weigh the advantages over old-school flooded lead-acid batteries, which are far cheaper. Lead acid batteries weigh more and require watering (which I don't find to be a big hassle). You can also leave lithium for longer periods without the need for charging. No problem for lead-acid, with a battery minder or a neighbor to come in and run a charge once a month. And you can get 50 miles on a set of lead-acid batteries and they can last up to 5 years too, if you take care of them. And for the cost difference, you can replace lead acid batteries a couple of times. Lithium would be a good choice if it were equal in price to lead-acid.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
"Faster"? Isn't it throttled to a specific speed? Are you suggesting it goes slower with 2 people in it than 1?
Of course a golf cart will go slower with 2 people as opposed to one person. Every vehicle will go slower when more weight is added. It's not as noticeable in a car because of the power but fill the back of your car with bricks and you'l notice a difference.

Ask pilots about flying solo or with passengers. There's a big difference taking off in a Piper Warrior when you're alone opposed to when you have three passengers.

It may not be noticeable with your 80 pound grandson but when your 250 pound golf partner gets in, your cart will go a few mph slower.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
I'm waiting for nuclear powered carts to come out.

Not too far away. They are building batteries consisting of man made diamonds that are exposed to nuclear radiation to give them their initial charge, which will last a very long time.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:59 AM
Gold member

Have you priced a set of lead-acids lately? But, yeah, they just work. LFP packs are getting better and cheaper every year. You should be getting about 15 years from a good LFP design.
Closed Thread

Tags
yamaha, lithium, boasting, 105ah, lol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.