15 Hypoallergenic Dogs and Cats

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum member
Default 15 Hypoallergenic Dogs and Cats

This is a list of dogs and cats that should not cause you to have allergies - they are still cute and adorable.

I am surprised that they did not mention Siberian cats, so I will add them to the list. They are big and fluffy, but do not have the protein in their saliva that causes common cat allergies. I get asthma from regular cats, but I have two Siberian cats, and have no problems at all. They are also very friendly and dog-like in their personality.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...ml?hpt=hp_bn11

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
This is a list of dogs and cats that should not cause you to have allergies - they are still cute and adorable.

I am surprised that they did not mention Siberian cats, so I will add them to the list. They are big and fluffy, but do not have the protein in their saliva that causes common cat allergies. I get asthma from regular cats, but I have two Siberian cats, and have no problems at all. They are also very friendly and dog-like in their personality.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery...ml?hpt=hp_bn11
There were some dogs on that list that I did not know were less likely to produce allergies. There is one more to add to the list..the Mi-Ki..a relatively new breed and so cute I can hardly stand it. I have informed hubby that when it is time to get a new dog (after one of our passes and I get out of my depression that happens every time we lose one) this is what we will be getting. He looked at the pictures and said OK and that he is not getting me any presents for the next couple of years in order to pay for one and I said OK. They are being present as hypo allergeric, very long lived (they are 4-8 pounds) and smart as a whip. Most of them come to you trained to go on one of those indoor fake grass thingies. They love to play...if you like to see cute puppies, google utube mi-ki's.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
There were some dogs on that list that I did not know were less likely to produce allergies. There is one more to add to the list..the Mi-Ki..a relatively new breed and so cute I can hardly stand it. I have informed hubby that when it is time to get a new dog (after one of our passes and I get out of my depression that happens every time we lose one) this is what we will be getting. He looked at the pictures and said OK and that he is not getting me any presents for the next couple of years in order to pay for one and I said OK. They are being present as hypo allergeric, very long lived (they are 4-8 pounds) and smart as a whip. Most of them come to you trained to go on one of those indoor fake grass thingies. They love to play...if you like to see cute puppies, google utube mi-ki's.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The mi ki looks like my Maltese Duffydog. Maltese do not have fur either, they have soft silky hair and are mellow and very loving. Unfortunately a lot of purebreds like Duffy come with serious health issues. Duffy is adorable looking but unfortunately his life has been full of pain and suffering because his well known breeder bred for looks and passed on fatal liver problems. He has brought joy to our lives beyond measure but if we ever get another dog it will be a rescue; there are so many beautiful dogs out there looking for homes.
Today I read an article about 150 dogs that were rescued from puppy mills being shipped to NYC to be placed up for adoption. They spent their entire lives locked up in tiny cages and bred continuously. Selling dogs is a big and dirty business.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post

... if we ever get another dog it will be a rescue; there are so many beautiful dogs out there looking for homes. Today I read an article about 150 dogs that were rescued from puppy mills being shipped to NYC to be placed up for adoption. They spent their entire lives locked up in tiny cages and bred continuously. Selling dogs is a big and dirty business.
Thank you so much for highlighting the importance of considering a Rescue dog. There are many breed-specific rescue organizations, as well as local Humane Societies. I think that DoodleGirl can add more information.

We were fortunate to rescue a Portugese Water Dog, who we renamed LolliPop. She had at least three homes previous to our adoption. Fireboy was longing for a chocolate lab puppy, but I persuaded him to rescue Lolli. I sold him on the fact that Lolli would love to boat and swim at our lake cottage in Canada. By the time that Fireboy realized Lolli doesn't like water, it was too late! Lolli is the most delightful, friendly and personable dog ever! And Fireboy adores her!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM

i was watching the animal planet last week, and they said their was no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog? i guess some are less likely than others
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to ariel

Rescue is the way. We adopted a toy Poodle from the shelter two years ago - Coco. He is a sweet boy and has come a long way toward his citizenship award. I, also, have a wonderful Maltese - Miss Ariel, who is nearly 17. We got her as a puppy and she has been a great dog, but is now fighting periodic bouts of illness and we know she will not be with us too much longer. I have allergies and have had no problems with either of these breeds. I found the Poodle on a local shelter internet sight - I guess I met him "internet dating".
Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
The mi ki looks like my Maltese Duffydog. Maltese do not have fur either, they have soft silky hair and are mellow and very loving. Unfortunately a lot of purebreds like Duffy come with serious health issues. Duffy is adorable looking but unfortunately his life has been full of pain and suffering because his well known breeder bred for looks and passed on fatal liver problems. He has brought joy to our lives beyond measure but if we ever get another dog it will be a rescue; there are so many beautiful dogs out there looking for homes.
Today I read an article about 150 dogs that were rescued from puppy mills being shipped to NYC to be placed up for adoption. They spent their entire lives locked up in tiny cages and bred continuously. Selling dogs is a big and dirty business.
Your Duffy is beautiful. My Duffy was a mini doxie who lived to be almost 18. I still miss him and he has been gone 15 years.

We have had so many dogs in our lives...at one time we had six....all but one adopted. I would guess between Hubby and I have, over the years, rescued 20 dogs; one we found walking on the road in the dark....I was sure she was going to be run over before we could grab her. We have rescued little dogs like the road puppy above to large ones...Rhodesian Ridgebacks. We made huge donations to the humane society in NM for years.

This next dog we get will likely be the last one...and I just fell in love with the Mi-Ki's. I have been in contact with a breeder right outside of Orlando and have read everything I could find on the breed and one of the things that I liked was their health..they have no know genetic problems. I struggled with the pure breed vs. rescue and decided that we have done well with rescuing furry kids over our lives and that getting this pure breed, who will be my last dog, is ok...
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ladydoc, it would appear that any dog would be blessed to live in your home. Please post a picture of your new baby when he/she arrives.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:14 PM

very good list. i have periods of bad allergies quite frequently. i was considering a dog. thanks for the list
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Ladydoc, it would appear that any dog would be blessed to live in your home. Please post a picture of your new baby when he/she arrives.
Thank you...I will. My doggies now are a 12 year old australian cattle dog and an 11 year old mini doxie. Gertie, my doxie, does not have even 1 grey hair yet. She looks and acts like a very young dog. She is my baby and she sleeps every night curled up in a ball by my knee. The cattle dog, Matilda, never strays far from her daddy, unless she is scared ie:thunder and then she runs to hide under my dress! Dogs are such wonderful creatures...they have added so much to our lives. I can not imagine living without them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.