After the Passing of a furry family member.

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Felt the same way after my Annie went in January. Then, my son ask us to take his dog, they have two small children and his dog in in his final years and about deaf. The 2 year old would not leave the dog along. Casper lost a lot of weight, stopped eating normally, and 2 year old startled him constantly, plus they both worked and the dog was home alone 10 hours day and in failing health. Long story short, after 15 years knowing Casper I couldn't let him just continue to fail. We took him and he's doing great. Probably the best mannered dog I've came in contact with. He rarely barks ( I've heard him bark probably 10 times in 15'years) don't pull on leash, let's you know when he need to go out, and Great around other dogs. Casper sleeps beside me where ever I setting.
That's a heartwarming story. It's very compassionate of you to take Casper at 15 years of age.
And he is doing his part with gratitude for sanctuary in his final years.
Nice story Topspinmo.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That's a heartwarming story. It's very compassionate of you to take Casper at 15 years of age.
And he is doing his part with gratitude for sanctuary in his final years.
Nice story Topspinmo.
old Casper is at least 17 plus years old, was rescue from Phoenix AZ. were my son went to graduate school, he was 2 plus years old when he got him. He refused to eat dog food. He now eats high on the hog, rotisserie chicken. ham, hamburger, and scrambled eggs and bacon. Only way we could get him to gain weight. We thought we were going to loose him couple months ago, but he pulled through it.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
He now eats high on the hog, rotisserie chicken. ham, hamburger, and scrambled eggs and bacon. Only way we could get him to gain weight. We thought we were going to loose him couple months ago, but he pulled through it.
When a dog loses his appetite, and he is in his "golden years", I think it's quite acceptable to give him eggs, bacon, chicken and ham from the deli, etc. When a dog gets old and thin, sometimes it's the only way to keep weight on.
We recently lost our little 17 year old dog that was blind and deaf. He was my beloved shadow and I miss him dreadfully.
We rescued a cairn terrier in March and rehomed a golden doodle in April.
We are very lucky because they love each other and play incessantly. The doodle is 55 lbs, and the carin/yorkie is 8 lbs.
Our flock is now complete again.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:42 AM
Sage

This has been such a great thread to read -- such great posts.

I adopted my first cat, Magic, in 1998. Magic was a bold spirit who loved when people came over to visit. Magic went to the Rainbow Bridge in the spring of 2013...fortunately he was not sick for very long. I was quite upset.

A few months later, I saw Molly's photo on a local animal rescue web site. Molly was 10 was when I adopted her in the summer of 2013. She is is much shier than Magic was, but she is a sweet kitty. Now that I can work from home one day a week, Molly is my supervisor on those days .

Molly rescued me just as much as I rescued her.

Many of my family members have adopted cats and dogs from shelters and rescue groups. I heartily recommend adoption to anyone looking for a furry family member to love.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:57 AM

I have read the posts to my thread to my sweetly and I swear she understands and even seems to smile. I know that may be wishful thinking but is is a true depiction of how close and connected we pet owners are with our furry family members. The older I get the more important and comforting my little ones presence becomes. If you would like to cure loneliness or mild depression without medication, adopt an old dog or cat and they will remind you how to smile and love again.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:22 AM

I Love Paws - Whoever said "It's only a dog", obviously...

This link says it better than I can
Old 09-23-2017, 05:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBubba View Post
Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 AM

Thanks to all animal supporters. Get involved in local animal rescue programs.

Last edited by CowBubba; 09-23-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Platinum member

Reading these posts has been a wonderful way to start the weekend. Thank you all.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
When a dog loses his appetite, and he is in his "golden years", I think it's quite acceptable to give him eggs, bacon, chicken and ham from the deli, etc. When a dog gets old and thin, sometimes it's the only way to keep weight on.
We recently lost our little 17 year old dog that was blind and deaf. He was my beloved shadow and I miss him dreadfully.
We rescued a cairn terrier in March and rehomed a golden doodle in April.
We are very lucky because they love each other and play incessantly. The doodle is 55 lbs, and the carin/yorkie is 8 lbs.
Our flock is now complete again.
Our Annie was Carin terrier, she was one of kind, smart, but stubborn and alpha female. Carin's are prey focused. That why they can never be off leash in open area. They see prey they go straight for it and see nothing else not even freight train coming. The 18 years we had her she got off leach once and through hole under fence once. Luckily she didn't get hurt. We also had three yorkies.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Our Annie was Carin terrier, she was one of kind, smart, but stubborn and alpha female. The 18 years we had her she got off leach once and through hole under fence once.
Thanks for the warning. I think my new boy is a yorkie/cairn cross with a cairn personality.
Baxter has already escaped from the local fenced dog park. He fit though a miniscule opening under a fence.
Now Baxter wears a big collar when he goes to the dog park.
People laugh when they see him, but I'm not taking any chances.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the warning. I think my new boy is a yorkie/cairn cross with a cairn personality.
Baxter has already escaped from the local fenced dog park. He fit though a miniscule opening under a fence.
Baxter, love that name! The dog who played Toto in the "Wizard of Oz" was a cairn terrier whose real name was Terry.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
IF he's got Cairn in his blood he's and escape artist. If they can get they're head through usually the rest of the body will slide through. Also. They will back out of harness or collar. Fine line between too tight and too loose. Also, when Annie would get focus on smell and you tried to lead her off she would spread her legs and lay flat knowing you can't pull her off it.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:01 AM
Veteran member

I think we tend to forget one of the main traits of Yorkies, Cairns, wire hair dachshunds, airedales, bedlingtons, etc., is that they are all stubborn.
That's the terrier in them and possibly their main trait.

In some ways the remind me of our cats: I hear you; I'm just not listening.
They dance to the tune of a different drummer, but we love them all.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Baxter, love that name!
He was named Tigger when we rescued him at Max's Pet Connection.
We renamed him Baxter, and he loves his new name. I think it's the xt part he likes.
Yes, he is an escape artist like Topspinmo's Annie. Possibly why he ended up as a rescue.
Stubborn as heck, but smart as a whip. A bad combination. But we love him anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, pet, months, adopt, living

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.