Aggressive dog at Doggie Doo Run Run.

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Default Aggressive dog at Doggie Doo Run Run.

I was doing my laps at Doggie Doo Run Run in the back field and approached the picnic table. The first lap went OK. The second time I just put my hand out to perhaps pet Harlow but it started barking. The third time around I got close and Harlow acted like (s)he wanted to kill me with his barking and aggressive stance. I did not get my fourth lap in because I was scared I was going to get bit or worse mauled badly by this pit bull mix type dog (maybe boxer and pit bull). This kind of behavior should not be displayed at a private nor public dog park unless the dog is leashed even then I believe it is inappropriate and puts people at risk who are just using the park for their own and their dog's enjoyment.

I did warn one man who was going into the big dog park as it seems that Harlow has a problem with men. I was not carrying any kind of stick nor did I raise my voice to complain about Harlow's behavior to these two women one of whom I know fairly well and like from talks at the dog park.

I did not warn everyone coming into the dog park about Harlow though as I hope that Harlow's owner would have the common sense to leash Harlow and get him out of the dog park ASAP.

Nothing bad happened but I just wanted to document it and warn the male users of Doggie Doo Run Run to watch out for Harlow.

Maybe it is me or one of the women has some problem we me individually but I do not even know the name of the owner of Harlow. It is a younger aged maybe 30 or thereabouts lady.

This happened about 11:50 am 4/1/2016 at the backfield of Doggie Doo Run Run and was witnessed by the owner of Jade along with Harlow's owner.

This is not an April Fool's joke and I will talk to the owners' of Doggie Doo Run Run-- Scott and Laura-- tomorrow about this.

The dog Harlow was still playing with Jade when I left Doggie Doo Run Run about 12:00 AM 4/1/2016.

Jade is a sweet pit bull mix which I have never had any problem with the number of months I have been around her so I do not have a problem with pit bull mixes in general. Harlow though seems to have a very serious problem around men.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-01-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

do you mean you were running towards the dog with your hand out? and then again? and again? I'm not sure what you mean by laps, maybe I am reading this wrong. It's not clear to me you actually believe the dog is the issue either.

Last edited by Lovey2; 04-01-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
do you mean you were running towards the dog with your hand out? and then again? and again? I'm not sure what you mean by laps, maybe I am reading this wrong. It's not clear to me you actually believe the dog is the issue either.
No. You walk around a 5 acre dog park. A lap is just someone walking around a large back field. There were two women at the picnic table with their dogs Jade and Harlow. I walked by three times and the dog got worse and worse in its treatment of me acting like I was a threat to it or its owner. I made no quick moves and put my hands behind my back as soon as I feel Harlow might attack me. This is a 66-70 pound pit bull mix.

What would be the issue except for a dog that should not be at a dog park??? There are more men than women who go to Doggie Doo Run Run as these are mostly Villagers. If a large dog has a problem with men and acts like it is going to bite someone then it should be leashed or at home. And not at a dog park at all.

Harlow has only been coming to DDRR for a few months. And, I have had problems with him/her before but never where the owner cannot control the dog.

There is no reason I know of that either of these women would have ill feelings towards me. I do know that dogs pick up on the feelings their masters have about certain people. I do not know Harlow's master at all. I have talked extensively with Jade's owner about various things and have NEVER had ANY problem with Jade.

I do have a problem with a dog becoming protective of its owner at a dog park unless there is a valid reason this pooch fears for its owner's well-being. Harlow seems like a dog that some men abused at some point and now wants to hit back and anyone that reminds him/her of the men who abused it. That's just a theory though as again I do NOT KNOW Harlow nor its owner.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Sage

DDRR is a very large place. I can't help but wonder why your laps had to take you so close to Harlow once you knew he didn't appear to be friendly to you.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
DDRR is a very large place. I can't help but wonder why your laps had to take you so close to Harlow once you knew he didn't appear to be friendly to you.
You think that an aggressive dog should be in a place like that??? DDRR does have in their sign that aggressive dogs will be removed immediately.

This is not a matter of two dogs that do not get along. That happens a lot. The owners just keep their dogs away from one another.

This is a dog that dislikes men for some reason. And Harlow acted like he was about to attack me. Why are people having a hard time with this?

Nasty dogs do not belong at dog parks. And if one bites a person and the DDRR owners' could have done something to stop it, then they are looking at a possible worthwhile lawsuit. Dog Bite Lawsuits: Strict Liability vs. Premises Liability - Daytona Beach, FL

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-01-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You think that an aggressive dog should be in a place like that??? DDRR does have in their sign that aggressive dogs will be removed immediately.

This is not a matter of two dogs that do not get along. That happens a lot. The owners just keep their dogs away from one another.

This is a dog that dislikes men for some reason.
I don't claim to know the facts of the situation. But my question is still valid...and you certainly didn't respond to it.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I don't claim to know the facts of the situation. But my question is still valid...and you certainly didn't respond to it.
I have not had serious problems with Harlow before. The owner usually gets it under control. Today she did not have control on the third lap. If an owner does not have control of an aggressive dog at a dog park, it should not be there at all.

I should be able to walk in a dog park without fear of being attacked by a dog unless I am harming the owner in some way or harming the dog. I was not. The only gesture I made was to try to pet Harlow on the head. This was on the second lap that I tried to pet it. I never actually touched Harlow as when I tried to pet it, it started barking.

I am no longer responding to any negative comments on this thread.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

The OP is merely making us aware of a possible problem based on his adult opinion.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
The OP is merely making us aware of a possible problem based on his adult opinion.
Agreed. And responders are merely asking for clarification and more information.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Sage

The reason I have never taken my dogs to a dog park is that there are many dog handlers that ARE AN ISSUE and it it tiresome to protect my pack (girl) from folks that have no clue how to handle a dog.

Based on what I have read here, I am not sure where the root cause exists. Maybe Caesar would visit DDRR?

I suspect it would be very enlightening to many who think their dog is the friendly one....

PS. It is not the dog it is the handler 99% of the time.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
The reason I have never taken my dogs to a dog park is that there are many dog handlers that ARE AN ISSUE and it it tiresome to protect my pack (girl) from folks that have no clue how to handle a dog.

Based on what I have read here, I am not sure where the root cause exists. Maybe Caesar would visit DDRR?

I suspect it would be very enlightening to many who think their dog is the friendly one....

PS. It is not the dog it is the handler 99% of the time.
I have been going to DDRR since January 2007 with Sport, then with Beau since 2014.

There have been a few cases of dogs biting people. Usually it is the small dogs that nip their owner's legs or hands or the poop scoopers' legs or hands.

A pit bull mix though can do very serious damage to a person very quickly. Some people have been killed by them. An aggressive pit bull mix has no business being at a dog park. That is the law in some places. I do not agree with blanket bans on certain breeds but I am scared of pit bull mixes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Platinum member
Default Basic rule

Any dog park I have ever been at had a badic rule---- any dog that acted in a aggressive manner should be remov d from the park. Too much liability and danger for all.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Sage

I wouldn't want new users and people who are contemplating using DDRR to get the wrong impression.
To the best of my knowledge, the owners of DDRR, Scott and Laura, have been very responsive to any concerns raised by users of the dog park.
I think your problem with Harlow should be shared with them.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Tal is doing the sensible thing relating this incident to the owners. They certainly don't want one dog attacking or biting persons or other dogs.

It would be of benefit to those so quick to jump to negativity to remember that the dogs are all off leash and if one dog shows aggression to a human anywhere in the park that dog must go to the DDRR "special dog run" or out of the park. A dog's concept of 'territory' is very elastic, and no one's enjoyment of the DDRR should be curtailed by one errant off leash animal.

DDRR is a great and well policed place. It makes me wonder how many posters have visited it.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
...those so quick to jump to negativity...
I am a fan of DDRR also. But do you not think "jump to negativity" runs both ways?

I don't mean to question Tal's sincerity or intent at all. But I believe some may have felt..from the information provided...that Harlow's guilt had not yet been absolutely established.

I'm not jumping to negativity...just awaiting a little more clarification before jumping to conclusions.
Closed Thread

Tags
run, dog, doo, harlow, doggie, park, owner, women, wanted, aggressive, pit, bull, jade, warn, kind, time, behavior, problem, happened, lap, 4/1/2016, harlows, barking, talks, stick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.