Aggressive dog at Doggie Doo Run Run.

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

I apologize then. Apparently I do not understand the working of a dog park, or the lingo. In your response you said the "talk" got worse and worse, I am assuming, by the 2 women. I don't know why you would continue to go by them then and didn't just seek another route. Yes, an aggressive dog should be reported, but I don't see that you did anything to help alleviate the problem. Again...apparently I just don't understand how dog parks work, so I'll leave you guys to it. Sorry.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I wouldn't want new users and people who are contemplating using DDRR to get the wrong impression.
To the best of my knowledge, the owners of DDRR, Scott and Laura, have been very responsive to any concerns raised by users of the dog park.
I think your problem with Harlow should be shared with them.
I will share it with them tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
...maybe I am reading this wrong. It's not clear to me you actually believe the dog is the issue either.
That is the sort of uncertainty I share. I don't think Lovey2 owes an apology to anybody for such thoughts.
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
Tal is doing the sensible thing relating this incident to the owners. They certainly don't want one dog attacking or biting persons or other dogs.

It would be of benefit to those so quick to jump to negativity to remember that the dogs are all off leash and if one dog shows aggression to a human anywhere in the park that dog must go to the DDRR "special dog run" or out of the park. A dog's concept of 'territory' is very elastic, and no one's enjoyment of the DDRR should be curtailed by one errant off leash animal.

DDRR is a great and well policed place. It makes me wonder how many posters have visited it.
Joe -- one of the DDRR employees-- was showing a new customer the ropes while I was going out. I thought I would not disturb them with my complaint about Harlow just then. And I did hope that Jade's owner would help out with getting through to Harlow's owner about the dog's aggression towards me. I was just walking around the dog park and did try to pet Harlow but my hand never got more than a foot from Harlow because Harlow started to bark when I put my hand out. The third loop is when I had the serious problem and thought that Harlow might attack me.

Wesh 2 news tonight & Fox 25. Leesburg woman killed in her own homw by her own Pit mix. mauled to death. I Love dogs but just sayin.
I haven't been too DDr in a few years. One of my dogs doesn't behave. I do remember T & Scout very well. A quiet gentle man. I'm pretty sure didn't antagonize this dog in anyway..
I miss DDR. So do Dory & Ellie. Hi to all
Old 04-01-2016, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
I apologize then. Apparently I do not understand the working of a dog park, or the lingo. In your response you said the "talk" got worse and worse, I am assuming, by the 2 women. I don't know why you would continue to go by them then and didn't just seek another route. Yes, an aggressive dog should be reported, but I don't see that you did anything to help alleviate the problem. Again...apparently I just don't understand how dog parks work, so I'll leave you guys to it. Sorry.
Not at all. I have been friendly with both of these women and they have been friendly with me.

I would not say something mean to someone who owns an unleashed pit bull mix which is a few feet in front of me.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

Imagine that pit-bull mix with its owner who is roping off chairs at Spanish Springs at 3:00 p.m., for the whole night, knowing they will be at Katie Belles or other bar for most of the evening.

People like that in numbers in TV are why I'd never take my dog to a dog park.....they are obnoxious, entitled and exempt from any rules. They raise their dogs the same way.

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 04-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My middle son had a pit bull that he took for training every Saturday about an hour away from home. I'm not a professional dog anything but I love dogs. This dog appeared to be a good natured animal. The training attack signals to the dog were in Vietnamese so no one could mistakenly alert the dog to attack. The result once I saw the video of this beautiful animal in action was it was banned from my home. What a shame. It was a necessary action to take because of my Boxer Mr. Barney's health and the grandchildren being around. I believe his macho training of this dog ruined the dog as the dog always seemed edgy afterward. He gave the dog away shortly afterward. A $1800 dollar dog given away, I'll bet something happened that he won't reveal to me. They are attack dogs. My boxer is not capable of such a vicious attack but I keep the good dog away from the kids when he's eating or stressed from the heat. They after all are animal's. We make the decision's. I rest my case. Give that DDRR joint a rest for a bit. Less stress for you.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
People like that in numbers in TV are why I'd never take my dog to a dog park.....they are obnoxious, entitled and exempt from any rules. They raise their dogs the same way.
DDRR is privately owned and therefore is run a bit differently than the dog parks provided by The Villages.
Most of the "regulars" at DDRR are great people and have dogs that are socialized and tolerate each other well.
I've found the owners, Scott and Laura, to be very responsible about ejecting dogs that are badly behaved.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
DDRR is privately owned and therefore is run a bit differently than the dog parks provided by The Villages.
Most of the "regulars" at DDRR are great people and have dogs that are socialized and tolerate each other well.
I've found the owners, Scott and Laura, to be very responsible about ejecting dogs that are badly behaved.
I will try to talk to them ASAP about Harlow.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petxpressions View Post
After a lifetime of having dogs and working with rescues, I've finally come to the realization that it is the responsibility of the human to keep a dog away from a situation that may result in a negative outcome.
The owner did not seem to have much control over Harlow. I will probably have to go somewhere else other than Doggie Doo Run Run if Harlow remains as she/he is. Very protective of his/her owner and acting like he/she may unman me at some point. And I would not be very good in a boy's choir.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-02-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The owner did not seem to have much control over Harlow. I will probably have to go somewhere else other than Doggie Doo Run Run if Harlow remains as she/he is. Very protective of his/her owner and acting like he/she may unman me at some point. And I would not be very good in a boy's choir.
This goes back to my earlier post and why I do not visit dog parks. To be clear, I have never been to DDRR and hear wonderful things about them, so this is just me and how I have raised my dogs.

The rest is not based in fact, it is my opinion based on postings on this thread. I did not witness this nor have I heard “Harlow’s’ side”, so this could be off base, but enjoyable to discuss as I can learn things as people correct me or give their opinion…

Based on this thread we have a strong breed being handled by someone who is not a confident/competant handler. Due to the handler, Harlow is either a nervous dog or has taken on the role of ‘pack leader’. Facts missing, was Harlow on a leash? Was Harlow’s handler in area?

You approach in what you perceive is a friendly manner. From your own posts I would believe you are nervous as you approach. In dog world you are emitting a loud beacon of instability. This is not meant to be insulting, it is human nature.

The problem is that dogs do not understand human nature and because Harlow has never been ‘brought up’ correctly, he is afraid or he is protecting his pack from an unstable stranger approaching.

IMO, it is a dangerous situation when a weak handler owns any dog, but especially a large strong breed.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 AM

I guess my one question would be, were you there with a dog or by yourself. Your post is unclear of that! Sounds like YOU are there alone and are feeling threatened by Harlow. If you did actually have a dog with you, was he/she threatened?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
This goes back to my earlier post and why I do not visit dog parks. To be clear, I have never been to DDRR and hear wonderful things about them, so this is just me and how I have raised my dogs.

The rest is not based in fact, it is my opinion based on postings on this thread. I did not witness this nor have I heard “Harlow’s’ side”, so this could be off base, but enjoyable to discuss as I can learn things as people correct me or give their opinion…

Based on this thread we have a strong breed being handled by someone who is not a confident/competant handler. Due to the handler, Harlow is either a nervous dog or has taken on the role of ‘pack leader’. Facts missing, was Harlow on a leash? Was Harlow’s handler in area?

You approach in what you perceive is a friendly manner. From your own posts I would believe you are nervous as you approach. In dog world you are emitting a loud beacon of instability. This is not meant to be insulting, it is human nature.

The problem is that dogs do not understand human nature and because Harlow has never been ‘brought up’ correctly, he is afraid or he is protecting his pack from an unstable stranger approaching.

IMO, it is a dangerous situation when a weak handler owns any dog, but especially a large strong breed.
Actually I have not be nervous up to now around Harlow. Now I will be though. Harlow was not on a leash and the owner was probably thirty feet from where I walked past the dog. Harlow had taken a defensive stance in front the picnic table and had become very protective of its owner.

She has had control of Harlow before but not yesterday.

By in large, the dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run are very well behaved and violent encounters are quite rare. They do happen though.

And I am usually a very calm person and anything but unstable. Google Taltarzac725 for more about me.

And sometimes the dog snaps for some reason or no reason. Leesburg woman mauled to death by pit bull, police say - Daily Commercial: News

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-02-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Actually I have not be nervous up to now around Harlow. Now I will be though. Harlow was not on a leash and the owner was probably thirty feet from where I walked past the dog. Harlow had taken a defensive stance in front the picnic table and had become very protective of its owner.

She has had control of Harlow before but not yesterday.

By in large, the dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run are very well behaved and violent encounters are quite rare. They do happen though.

And I am usually a very calm person and anything but unstable.

And sometimes the dog snaps for some reason or no reason. Leesburg woman mauled to death by pit bull, police say - Daily Commercial: News
Sorry, I thought I read you were a little apprehensive about pit bull breed. I certainly am when one is around my dog because they are so strong, I am not sure I could intervene.

Sorry #2, I meant unstable as a dog may interpret, not as humans would. I did not mean to imply you are unstable

Tags
run, dog, doo, harlow, doggie, park, owner, women, wanted, aggressive, pit, bull, jade, warn, kind, time, behavior, problem, happened, lap, 4/1/2016, harlows, barking, talks, stick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.