Aggressive dog at Doggie Doo Run Run.

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Sorry, I thought I read you were a little apprehensive about pit bull breed. I certainly am when one is around my dog because they are so strong, I am not sure I could intervene.

Sorry #2, I meant unstable as a dog may interpret, not as humans would. I did not mean to imply you are unstable
Jade is a pit bull mix and she and her owner are quite nice. You might get licked by Jade. Jade's owner has faced some unfair prejudice based on how her dog looks.

If I see an unfamiliar pit bull mix though around the Villages my guard does go up. Our former neighbor in Palm Harbor bred pit bulls and treated them like crap so I would expect them to go off on people. He kept them in crates in his garage and even incurred the wrath of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals when he tried to exercise them by tying them to his car and driving around the neighborhood. A boy called 9/11 and got the cops to follow the blood trail to my neighbor's home. That, of course, made the Tampa Bay news stations. And we had to put up with some rather nasty drive-bys. Eggs and the like, not gunshots. I was glad to move out of Palm Harbor in 2005. I had got in a legal mess with the Palm Harbor Library Director Gene Coppola as well over a link to the Florida Victim Services Directory Victim Services Directory and got hit with a Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation threat from the Palm Harbor Library General Counsel. It would have cost too much financially and more importantly on stress to my family to fight this local bully. So, I got out of Dodge, so to speak. Since 2005, I have had a very nice life here in the Villages and for the most part I am a very happy camper. Broader life experiences though can influence how one interacts both with local people as well as their pets.

You are usually not only interacting with a dog but with its owner and how she/he feels about stuff right then as well. Google Taltarzac725 if you want to know more about my story and where I am at now in my life.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-02-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Sage

May not get to Doggie Doo Run Run this weekend because of the weather. I will inform whoever I run into there though who is an employee or owner of DDRR about my experiences with Harlow. Hopefully, someone already has done this by the time Beau and I return to Doggie Doo Run Run.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
May not get to Doggie Doo Run Run this weekend because of the weather. I will inform whoever I run into there though who is an employee or owner of DDRR about my experiences with Harlow. Hopefully, someone already has done this by the time Beau and I return to Doggie Doo Run Run.
Tal, we will be at DDRR today, but I don't feel comfortable passing on your comments about Harlow, since I didn't see the dog being aggressive. I think you need to talk to Scott or Laura yourself and explain your issues.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Tal, we will be at DDRR today, but I don't feel comfortable passing on your comments about Harlow, since I didn't see the dog being aggressive. I think you need to talk to Scott or Laura yourself and explain your issues.
I should do it myself. I am just hoping that maybe Jade's owner said something about it. Or maybe even Harlow's owner mentioned it to Scott or Laura. Jade's owner seems like a very good woman. Jade's owner witnessed the whole thing even though she was facing the opposite way at the picnic table I am pretty sure she turned to see what Harlow might do.

Beau does not get along with some of the 5:00 PM dogs in the back field so I try to avoid coming around that time of the day to DDRR. It is Beau that is being that brat in this case.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-02-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
I should do it myself. I am just hoping that maybe Jade's owner said something about it. Or maybe even Harlow's owner mentioned it to Scott or Laura. Jade's owner seems like a very good woman. Jade's owner witnessed the whole thing even though she was facing the opposite way at the picnic table I am pretty sure she turned to see what Harlow might do.

Beau does not get along with some of the 5:00 PM dogs in the back field so I try to avoid coming around that time of the day to DDRR. It is Beau that is being that brat in this case.
This is our former dog from around 1991-1998 Amber whose look-a-like at Doggie Doo Run Run, Beau unfortunately does not like licks from.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It is never good to be 30 feet away from your dog at a dog park, much less have your back turned to him. At times people start talking to each other and forget about their dogs. There's one dog at Atlas dog park that runs around like a maniac, barking and agitating the other dogs and gets them all riled up in a group. The last time we were there she had seven dogs all in a frenzy. I had to keep my dog away from this pack and finally left for his own protection. The owner ignores what the dog is doing. I think she thinks it's cute or isn't a problem. Somebody's dog is eventually going to get injured.

I hope you will talk to the owners about Harlow, Tal. Also, it would be helpful to give a description of Harlow so others can at least be on the lookout.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It is never good to be 30 feet away from your dog at a dog park, much less have your back turned to him. At times people start talking to each other and forget about their dogs. There's one dog at Atlas dog park that runs around like a maniac, barking and agitating the other dogs and gets them all riled up in a group. The last time we were there she had seven dogs all in a frenzy. I had to keep my dog away from this pack and finally left for his own protection. The owner ignores what the dog is doing. I think she thinks it's cute or isn't a problem. Somebody's dog is eventually going to get injured.

I hope you will talk to the owners about Harlow, Tal. Also, it would be helpful to give a description of Harlow so others can at least be on the lookout.
Jade is usually fine. Jade's owner was facing the golf course to the north of Doggie Doo Run Run. Harlow's owner was facing Doggie Doo Run Run. Beau was off doing Beau things and no where near this area of the big field. Many dogs at DDRR are far from their owners in the back field.

Harlow is tan in color and seems to be mostly boxer but with some pit bull and other breeds mixed into his or her make-up. This is a large very muscular dog and probably about 1-2 years. Jade is darker in color and a very sweet pooch but also has some pit bull in a large mix of breeds .

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
I was doing my laps at Doggie Doo Run Run in the back field and approached the picnic table. The first lap went OK. The second time I just put my hand out to perhaps pet Harlow but it started barking. The third time around I got close and Harlow acted like (s)he wanted to kill me with his barking and aggressive stance. I did not get my fourth lap in because I was scared I was going to get bit or worse mauled badly by this pit bull mix type dog (maybe boxer and pit bull). This kind of behavior should not be displayed at a private nor public dog park unless the dog is leashed even then I believe it is inappropriate and puts people at risk who are just using the park for their own and their dog's enjoyment.

I did warn one man who was going into the big dog park as it seems that Harlow has a problem with men. I was not carrying any kind of stick nor did I raise my voice to complain about Harlow's behavior to these two women one of whom I know fairly well and like from talks at the dog park.

I did not warn everyone coming into the dog park about Harlow though as I hope that Harlow's owner would have the common sense to leash Harlow and get him out of the dog park ASAP.

Nothing bad happened but I just wanted to document it and warn the male users of Doggie Doo Run Run to watch out for Harlow.

Maybe it is me or one of the women has some problem we me individually but I do not even know the name of the owner of Harlow. It is a younger aged maybe 30 or thereabouts lady.

This happened about 11:50 am 4/1/2016 at the backfield of Doggie Doo Run Run and was witnessed by the owner of Jade along with Harlow's owner.

This is not an April Fool's joke and I will talk to the owners' of Doggie Doo Run Run-- Scott and Laura-- tomorrow about this.

The dog Harlow was still playing with Jade when I left Doggie Doo Run Run about 12:00 AM 4/1/2016.

Jade is a sweet pit bull mix which I have never had any problem with the number of months I have been around her so I do not have a problem with pit bull mixes in general. Harlow though seems to have a very serious problem around men.
I will try to report this to the owners at DDRR today.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
I was doing my laps at Doggie Doo Run Run in the back field and approached the picnic table. The first lap went OK. The second time I just put my hand out to perhaps pet Harlow but it started barking. The third time around I got close and Harlow acted like (s)he wanted to kill me with his barking and aggressive stance. I did not get my fourth lap in because I was scared I was going to get bit or worse mauled badly by this pit bull mix type dog (maybe boxer and pit bull). This kind of behavior should not be displayed at a private nor public dog park unless the dog is leashed even then I believe it is inappropriate and puts people at risk who are just using the park for their own and their dog's enjoyment.

I did warn one man who was going into the big dog park as it seems that Harlow has a problem with men. I was not carrying any kind of stick nor did I raise my voice to complain about Harlow's behavior to these two women one of whom I know fairly well and like from talks at the dog park.

I did not warn everyone coming into the dog park about Harlow though as I hope that Harlow's owner would have the common sense to leash Harlow and get him out of the dog park ASAP.

Nothing bad happened but I just wanted to document it and warn the male users of Doggie Doo Run Run to watch out for Harlow.

Maybe it is me or one of the women has some problem we me individually but I do not even know the name of the owner of Harlow. It is a younger aged maybe 30 or thereabouts lady.

This happened about 11:50 am 4/1/2016 at the backfield of Doggie Doo Run Run and was witnessed by the owner of Jade along with Harlow's owner.

This is not an April Fool's joke and I will talk to the owners' of Doggie Doo Run Run-- Scott and Laura-- tomorrow about this.

The dog Harlow was still playing with Jade when I left Doggie Doo Run Run about 12:00 AM 4/1/2016.

Jade is a sweet pit bull mix which I have never had any problem with the number of months I have been around her so I do not have a problem with pit bull mixes in general. Harlow though seems to have a very serious problem around men.
I reported this to Laura but not in as much detail at about 11:50 AM this Sunday 4/3/2016. She did not recall what the owner of Harlow looks like but does know Jade's owner as these two pit bull mixes (at least, that is what they look like to me) play together a lot.

One thing. There are a few dogs that look a little like Harlow but are not the same kind of very protective and sometimes aggressive dog. I petted a dog that looked a little bit like Harlow this morning and it seemed quite happy about it. This was a thinner probably boxer/pit bull mix and was also younger or looked that way.

I will not go into the back field at DDRR now though if I see Harlow there or will stay as far as possible away from him and its owner if it comes in while we are there.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
Wesh 2 news tonight & Fox 25. Leesburg woman killed in her own homw by her own Pit mix. mauled to death. I Love dogs but just sayin.
I haven't been too DDr in a few years. One of my dogs doesn't behave. I do remember T & Scout very well. A quiet gentle man. I'm pretty sure didn't antagonize this dog in anyway..
I miss DDR. So do Dory & Ellie. Hi to all
It was Sport and Tal. Now, Beau and Tal.

Hi. I remember Dory and Ellie. I was wondering what happened to you two or four? I hope you guys are doing well!!!

I am a very quiet person as well as often calm and try to put myself in other's shoes.

Ron had Scout and now has a rather wild puppy-- another Shi Tzu-- also named Scout. Scout, Jr when Ron signs in for it.

Sometimes people would call us Ron/Jon after the surf shop as the dogs Sport and Scout were often confused.

Here is me with Sport from about 4 years ago. Picture take by Grace who has Billikins.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:06 PM

I knew who you are. Like you said I mixed up the names. Such a happy picture. I love it. We are doing great Thank You for asking. I started working too much but that's over now. Hopefully we can get back to the park. I hope it works out for you there
Old 04-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcruiser View Post
I knew who you are. Like you said I mixed up the names. Such a happy picture. I love it. We are doing great Thank You for asking. I started working too much but that's over now. Hopefully we can get back to the park. I hope it works out for you there
It should. I do remember Dory but am having a harder time with Ellie? Is she a new one?

Laura and Scott are very good managers/owners of Doggie Doo Run Run and I hope that they see the seriousness of a pit bull mix or something that looks like that being very protective of its owner and the owner not having much control over the dog. I could have been injured very badly from such an encounter. Especially because those jaws are about at waist level.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Sage

I will keep people informed about how this story goes. Hopefully, it will have a happy ending. It may take a while to resolve itself.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-04-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

My Gus, who has never had an issue with another dog, was attacked by a female Pit Bull in a dog park in Texas. It's not like Gus gave her the stink eye, she attacked him from behind with no provocation. It was horrific, she was determined to kill him, he got away from her once and she attacked a second time.... the guy who owned her was able to grab her to stop it and he paid all of Gus' vet bills. Any Pit that is behaving aggressively should be taken seriously. Other dogs may bite and its over, Pits don't just bite.... they attack. After that incident, if I'm in a dog park and a Pit comes in, we are out of there.... a nice one today can be a vicious one tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
My Gus, who has never had an issue with another dog, was attacked by a female Pit Bull in a dog park in Texas. It's not like Gus gave her the stink eye, she attacked him from behind with no provocation. It was horrific, she was determined to kill him, he got away from her once and she attacked a second time.... the guy who owned her was able to grab her to stop it and he paid all of Gus' vet bills. Any Pit that is behaving aggressively should be taken seriously. Other dogs may bite and its over, Pits don't just bite.... they attack. After that incident, if I'm in a dog park and a Pit comes in, we are out of there.... a nice one today can be a vicious one tomorrow.
There was a similar incident at a dog park in Bradenton. Had the owner not been attentive to his aggressive dog, it could have been very bad. BTW, what he did was pick the dog's back legs up and pull backwards, and it was then unable to move. It distracted the dog enough to allow the other dog to get away.

I know that not all dogs are within 30 feet of their owners at DDRR. However, aggressive breeds who are known to be protective should never be allowed that far away from their owners. And to the people who asked why Tal didn't walk away... He was the victim, not the aggressor. A dog with aggression and protection instincts should not be brought to a dog park.

Tags
run, dog, doo, harlow, doggie, park, owner, women, wanted, aggressive, pit, bull, jade, warn, kind, time, behavior, problem, happened, lap, 4/1/2016, harlows, barking, talks, stick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.