All you can eat day for pets..

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

"Some posters seem ruffled up about all you can eat day...I can't imagine anything more natural than a cat eating fish, or a dog relishing a bit of liver."

I expect the ruffling is caused by the other things you mentioned - cream, bread, mayo, cheese
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
"Some posters seem ruffled up about all you can eat day...I can't imagine anything more natural than a cat eating fish, or a dog relishing a bit of liver."

I expect the ruffling is caused by the other things you mentioned - cream, bread, mayo, cheese
why is that?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

why is that?

I think you know already, because you chose to mention only the fish and liver the second time - food items which are unlikely to ruffle petowners.

Humans are omnivores, whereas cats and dogs are carnivores, so one should be careful about being anthropomorphic regarding their diet.

That is not to say that you should never give them any human food, but offering a dog "all you can eat" of it? Ruffle, ruffle.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Sage

I had hoped for information vs the foods you referenced???...The boxer was intentionally fed fats and proteins to coat the stomach and slow digestion for monthly dose of trifexis.
Perhaps the dogs you know can't eat a variety and don't know when they've had enough. My girl handles both with grace.

Quote:

why is that?

I think you know already, because you chose to mention only the fish and liver the second time - food items which are unlikely to ruffle petowners.

Humans are omnivores, whereas cats and dogs are carnivores, so one should be careful about being anthropomorphic regarding their diet.

That is not to say that you should never give them any human food, but offering a dog "all you can eat" of it? Ruffle, ruffle.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I had hoped for information vs the foods you referenced???...The boxer was intentionally fed fats and proteins to coat the stomach and slow digestion for monthly dose of trifexis.
Perhaps the dogs you know can't eat a variety and don't know when they've had enough. My girl handles both with grace.

That's good - you are the one who knows your pets the best
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Sage

Kitty - seems you have opened a can of worms here - just don't feed it to the dogs!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's good - you are the one who knows your pets the best
Thanks for that. I love them wholly and welcome new info. Raul the kitty is a glutton, but he gets tidbits in a variety. I have to oversee how much is AUCE for the little man as his judgement is so-so. It's a fun time of feeding for all of us...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Kitty - seems you have opened a can of worms here - just don't feed it to the dogs!!!
Gomoho, I couldn't bear to feed her wigglers...but vermiculture is fantastic, they make the best nitrogen castings for fertilizer.
whatever is the etymology of "can of worms"? or is it entomology? hey, it's both!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I don't care to take sides on this "All you can eat" issue, but what I'd rather do is give our kitties a daily treat. Each morning when I get up, they assume the position, ready and over eager for their treat. Heaven's forbid if they don't get it within seconds of my arriving. Once my servitude to them is concluded for the day, the poor babies have to put up with the normal cat food they're provided.

I would also prefer donating to the Humane Society instead of having an all you can eat day. I did just that two days ago (not as a replacement though) when I made a donation online to the Sumter Co. Humane Society. Made me feel good for doing so. I encourage everyone, replacement or not, to consider doing likewise. Here is their website where you can make our little buddies very happy! Live in a different county? Then just look up your county's Humane Society/SPCA website and make your donate there!

Humane Society/SPCA of Sumter County, Inc.

The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Cyndy, I don't feed at the table either...creates bad manners for dog and owner.
AUCE day coincides with trifexis day...I hate giving her poison like that, but have to protect her from worms and fleas..the extra food, esp egg and fats slow and coat digestion so she doesn't get a big dose of trifexis too quickly, or she WOULD throw up...
Kitty
That's actually a good idea, which I am going to pass on to my friend whose golden has a digestive problem on heartworm pill day.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.