Best Dog food

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Platinum member
Default Best Dog food

What dog food are you using? I'm looking for a new dog food for my pup, but it's so difficult. The ratings and reviews are so confusing. My vet has no recommendations. I am looking for a dry food. She has no allergies that I am aware of. She was on a Purina product that was difficult to find in the stores. Then I heard good things about Rachel Rae dog food and she has been on it for about 6 months...liked it and did well on it. Now, all of a sudden, the food looks different and she doesn't seem to like it.

Any suggestions? What does your dog like?
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Veteran member

We have our dogs on a raw diet but use Oregen as a treat. It is dry kibble that has been steamed just enough to cook and is the closest to raw. You can go to Whole Earth pet store on 441 across from Lowe's and Joan or Lee can give you all the latest on what is best and why. The diet is the most important thing you can do for your dog to help it live a healthy life. JMHO

LW 888
Old 05-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Platinum member

My dog practically refuses to eat dry food. My mother calls me "Cruella" because I refuse to give her canned food until after she eats her dry food and then I just give her a small amount as a treat. Lately she's been holding out until 9 pm. Wish I could find a good dry food that she likes.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Gold member

We have tried 4 different dry dog foods for our Maltese and he always gets tired of them before he can finish a 5 pound bag. All were expensive, 18-33 dollars for a 5 pound bag. It doesn't matter how much it costs, he won't eat dry dog food until he gets very hungry.

We also feed him Fresh Pet, it's in the refrigerator in the pet food section. He loves it, but it being soft just doesn't clean his teeth. We haven't tried Rachel Rae's yet, but we will.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Platinum member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Platinum member

I should add that the reason I like dry food is for the teeth. My last two dogs had the WORST teeth. They were forever having surgery to remove rotten teeth, etc. however.......they did live till 17 years and were healthy otherwise.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

We use Halo. We have also fed our dog Blue Buffalo. We mix a little canned food in with the dry which our pup seems to like. I only buy the grain free because I don't want a bunch of fillers.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We are now with our 4th Dalmatian spanning 30 + years and have always fed them dry dog food from a puppy to and through old age.

We use IAMS Naturals wth chicken. The dog acts like it is porterhouse steak!

For treats we use Old Mother Hubbard oven baked dog biscuits. We get the minis as they are only 6 calories each. These are all natural as well. Sometimes hard to find so I get the almost 4 pound bag from Amazon...lasts a long time.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM

We use the caned dog food from Aldi--caned in Illinois and our dogs love it--I was paying $2.25 per can before and this is under $1.00 per can
The dry food that I mix in with the caned food is from Kids and Pets on Lake Sumpter--our dogs love this as well
Sugar and Spice are Multi-poos.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM

We use caned dog food from Aldi--all meat and caned in Illinois "Not China" Our dogs love this food--was buying another food that cost $2.25 per can this food is under $1.00 per can.
Dry food is from Kids and Pets in Lake Sumpter they love this food as well I mix them together with chicken breast.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

I love Evangers Grain Free Chicken dinner my dogs love it and do very well on it. It is made and packaged in Illinois. You can get it at the pet store by Koyame and the pet store in Palm Court Plaza.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
What dog food are you using? I'm looking for a new dog food for my pup, but it's so difficult. The ratings and reviews are so confusing. My vet has no recommendations. I am looking for a dry food. She has no allergies that I am aware of. She was on a Purina product that was difficult to find in the stores. Then I heard good things about Rachel Rae dog food and she has been on it for about 6 months...liked it and did well on it. Now, all of a sudden, the food looks different and she doesn't seem to like it. Any suggestions? What does your dog like?
Try an unbiased comparison site such as Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and compare kibble.
We feed Orijen Dog Food. It's a five-star kibble, made in Canada with fresh products.
It's sold by Paws for a While on CR 101 (opposite Southern Trace). We also like "Taste of the Wild" for a quality kibble.
We attended a meeting of Responsible Dog Owners and were astonished to learn that some of the cheaper dog foods contain meat by-products, even road kill. And they also contain a lot of fillers.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We are now with our 4th Dalmatian spanning 30 + years and have always fed them dry dog food from a puppy to and through old age.

We use IAMS Naturals wth chicken. The dog acts like it is porterhouse steak!

For treats we use Old Mother Hubbard oven baked dog biscuits. We get the minis as they are only 6 calories each. These are all natural as well. Sometimes hard to find so I get the almost 4 pound bag from Amazon...lasts a long time.
Another vote for Iams. Also Science Diet.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We were feeding Canidae; then they changed their ingredients to something that made our dog sick. Then we were feeding Dick Van Patten's Natural-something, and suddenly our dog's coat turned to straw. The coat is the last thing to receive nutrition from any food and is a good indicator of the quality of the food the pet is eating. I went to Paws for a While, and the owner told me that Dick Van Patten's was bought by Del Monte, and they changed their ingredients source. She suspects China.

Even though she still had some Dick Van Patten, she put me on to Nature's Logic. Inside of a week Crosby's coat turned to silk. For a golden to actually have the sun reflect off his coat and shine is enough to convince me. It has reliable sourcing--ingredients from Canada, the States, and one European country--and no vitamins that don't occur naturally. If there are any vitamin supplements being added to the dog food that doesn't occur naturally, they are coming from China, because the US doesn't even manufacture vitamins anymore for pets.

We were using Nature's Logic lamb, but they just came out with a sardine blend. That's what we use now.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Gold member

It is hard to know what food to feed. Seems like there is always a report of dogs getting sick that were eating a certain food. We have fed different foods depending on the dogs we had. Different dogs tolerated only a certain food or had allergies and could only eat a certain one. We have always fed dry kibble. Everything from Iams, Science Diet, Beneful Weight Control (yes, the brand that was in the news...we had no problems), Rachel Ray Zero Grain Salmon & Sweet Potato, currently using Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Turkey & Potato. There were a couple of others, but I can't recall the names...dog did not do well on them because of their sensitivities.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.