Best Dog food

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Gold member

Like CFrance, we also used the Dick Van Patten food and our dog's. That was one that I forgot about. Our dog's fur was terrible on that food. His coat got dull and straw like, too.

Some of these dog food manufacturers are glad to tell you they make the food here in the US. I was shocked when a couple admitted that some of the ingredients come from China. Don't get me started on my opinion of things that come from China.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Wow, thanks again all. I certainly have some research to do :\
Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Try an unbiased comparison site such as Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and compare kibble.
We feed Orijen Dog Food. It's a five-star kibble, made in Canada with fresh products.
It's sold by Paws for a While on CR 101 (opposite Southern Trace). We also like "Taste of the Wild" for a quality kibble.
We attended a meeting of Responsible Dog Owners and were astonished to learn that some of the cheaper dog foods contain meat by-products, even road kill. And they also contain a lot of fillers.
I'm in full agreement with this. I check dogfoodadvisor before I feed any food. I currently use Wellness Core Small Breed. My two weigh 9 and 11lbs and they get 1/4C twice a day. I buy if from amazon. Delivered right to the door!

Good luck in your search!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 05-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

We've been feeding Purina Healthy Weight Management and mix in a little canned food with some water. At night we microwave a scrambled egg in their food as well. When we have leftover meat, fish or vegetables, we mix a little of that in also. Whatever we mix in, is always warm and not cold.

Other than the above-mentioned, it's whatever they can reach and steal off the kitchen counter when we're not around.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Platinum member

We sure do love our dogs here in TV
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I should add that the reason I like dry food is for the teeth. My last two dogs had the WORST teeth. They were forever having surgery to remove rotten teeth, etc. however.......they did live till 17 years and were healthy otherwise.
Some breeds are prone to bad teeth such as poodles. We only fed our poodles Royal Canin dry dog food and Greenies for that reason. I also brushed their teeth every night and they still had surgeries!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

Here is another vote for Blue Buffalo. I feed my two dogs (15 yr old dalmatian/pointer mix and 2 yr old miniature schnauzer) a mix of BB kibble with a little BB canned food (senior mix for the older dog and adult small dog for the "little man"). I have used Blue Buffalo for years now (my lab/newfie mix was on it as well until we lost him at 14). You might want to look at the different brands and even talk with your vet for input. Good luck!

Last edited by Trayderjoe; 05-26-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Incorrect verb tense
Old 05-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Blue Buffalo Again

Another vote for Blue Buffalo Grain Free. I feed dry with 1 Tbls. of Blue Buffalo wet canned & my Yorkie gobbles it up. Since it is high protein, dogs are drawn to the dry, so please measure & don't over feed to avoid weight gain.

I switched him to BB about 3 months ago and he is no longer itchy & scaly. His coat looks great & my groomer noticed the difference. I was feeding Science Diet for years...
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

More great info. Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Try an unbiased comparison site such as Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor and compare kibble.
We feed Orijen Dog Food. It's a five-star kibble, made in Canada with fresh products.
It's sold by Paws for a While on CR 101 (opposite Southern Trace). We also like "Taste of the Wild" for a quality kibble.
We attended a meeting of Responsible Dog Owners and were astonished to learn that some of the cheaper dog foods contain meat by-products, even road kill. And they also contain a lot of fillers.
Went to this site and was very glad to see the Evangers I feed my furbabies got 5 stars!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

Well, I ended up choosing Natures Logic. We,ll see how it goes and how she likes it. It might help with some paw chewing she has started.

I'm gonna save all of these great suggestions in case this doesn't work out.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

So, I'm using Natures Logic lamb. My pup loves it. I have a problem. She ran out this morning. I ran over to Paws for a Moment on 301 and they closed at 4:PM today and are closed tomorrow. Does anyone know where they sell Natures Logic???? HELP!!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:41 PM
Veteran member

Both of our rescue dogs stunk and had the worst furs until we started them on Chicken Soup for the Dog dry food. Both loved it and after a short time, the most notable sign was a good breath and cleaner teeth. Before too long, the furs on both (a toy poodle and a terrier) became soft and no shedding on the terrier. We also noticed sleep patterns and the "outside trips" didn't cause problems any longer.
All in all, we feel the "holistic" rather than commercial products improved their health and personalities. We still purchase dog food from the pet store in the strip mall behind CVS off 466.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Default Our Maggie loves her Castor and Pollux

Our Golden doodle use to eat a raw diet but as she has aged she can not tolerate so much protein. I found Castor and Pollux Organix dog food to be good quality, organic and Maggie likes the weight management formula.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Gold member

I got my first puppy iin over 30 years in March. Yikes, do I have a lot to learn! I couldn't find the food the breeder had her on locally so I gradually switched her to Royal Canin. Not long after that she started itching. I tried several different brands and she seems to be a picky eater!

Luckly, we have a good pet store here in Michigan. The owner's mission in life seems to be analyzing pet food! And best of all, he gives samples!! He reommended Nutri Source Grain Free which is for all ages. Right now, I'm mixing dry food with a little bit of their wet food.

As Barefoot said, be aware of pet food with meat by-products. The pet store guy said everything goes into food with by-products: food past the expiration date, road kill and even spit and cigarettes! They just put it in a barrel and grind it all up!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.