Calling all Lab owners

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2021, 08:22 AM

Congrats!!! I view the Talk of The Villages daily. My husband and I are 54 years old and just completed our preview in December. We loved it and plan on moving within the next 24 months from Wisconsin. We have 2 bassets that we will bring with us. Have you found your home? Our biggest concern is having an enclosed back yard. Our contact is Dave Luce - Realtor. He is great. From Michigan. Any questions related to moving from cold to warm year round, he's your man! Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2021, 08:50 AM

Welcome to TV! My 13 and 14 year old labs loved it here, cold wasn’t good for their hips as they aged!! You will meet other owners once you settle! Good luck to you all
Old 01-04-2021, 09:03 AM

We have a 6 year old lab and Walk early in the morning and have a pool but limit her to about twice a month but in the summer on a hot afternoon she will lay on the pavers in the driveway or the back on her own.
I will not bring her to a dog park. Don't like or trust them , but that is just me
Old 01-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Our Lab, Lulu, does great. The ONLY problem we've found is her paws seem to be sensitive to the pesticides that are sprayed on all the lawns here. This irritation makes her lick a lot . We've started washing her paws in the shower each evening before bed. Your Lab will be happy here. We taught Lulu to sit in the floor of the Golf Cart rather than the seat. That way there's room for Hubby and me to ride with.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Hello! You will love it here. We had 2 labs. We lived in Memphis,Tn. It gets over 100 degrees there between end of April & early October. Not daily but plenty of days over 90. The humidity is terrible. It is unbelievable that it’s hotter than the Villages many days.
My labs were indoor dogs & yes, we could have made shag rugs with the fur shedded, they were so sweet & loving!!
The girl would sun herself but the male liked it inside.
Their coats will adjust and if you are really concerned you can buy a cool mat or depending what type house, a baby pool.
No worries! Welcome!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:24 AM

We too are from Mn. and have a golden retriever. We had her groomed and they removed her undercoat. She has adjusted very well, but only let her out 15 minutes at a time in the summer. She too loves laying in the driveway and greets everybody that passes by.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:35 AM

FYI, Monday morning 7:30 am old camp road, back of Sonnies BBQ saw a bunch of dog walkers, looked like a great social event you might be interested in to meet and greet
Old 01-04-2021, 09:40 AM

It is a good idea to check the pavement by placing the back of your hand on it. If it is uncomfortable for you to hold it there for 10 seconds or so, it will be too hot for your dog. Some dogs suffer in silence just to please their owners. If you get a terrier you won't have to worry about that. 😊
Old 01-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Too hot here for a lab
poor dog
That's ridiculous. There are thousands of happy Labs living in Florida.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Don't worry the dog will suffer till it's coat thins out
How cruel
unless---you can find an experienced groomer who knows how to successfully remove the undercoat. a long, expensive job, but your dog will appreciate it
Old 01-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shansonmarx View Post
Congrats!!! I view the Talk of The Villages daily. My husband and I are 54 years old and just completed our preview in December. We loved it and plan on moving within the next 24 months from Wisconsin. We have 2 bassets that we will bring with us. Have you found your home? Our biggest concern is having an enclosed back yard. Our contact is Dave Luce - Realtor. He is great. From Michigan. Any questions related to moving from cold to warm year round, he's your man! Good Luck!
welcome future neighbor!! you' ll love it here!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev View Post
I can’t believe it is really going to happen. In just a little over 5 months, we will be moving to The Villages. “We” is my wonderful wife, Blondie (our 9+ year old lab) and me.
Blondie loves to lay out on the driveway, when it’s 20 degrees outside. It’s her winter coat. To you Lab owners, how did your Lab adjust to the Florida warmth. We will be year-long Villagers. I’m worried about her coat adjusting.
Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help.
From Minnesnowtans, Kevin and Teresa.
I,ve had 3 labs. They will acclimate to the heat. ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING. DO NOT THROW BALLS OR OTHER TOYS IN THE PONDS HERE. BECAUSE SHE'S A WATER DOG SHE PROBABLY JUST JUMP IN. THERE ARE ALIGATORS ALL THROUGH THE MANY PONDS,LAKES THERE IN TV.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Blondie will likely shed her winter coat just as she did in the warm weather before you moved to Florida and it is unlikely it will return. I’ve had a yellow lab and a black lab. Chelsea, my black lab, found lying in the sun uncomfortable due to the color of her fur, but by her name I’m guessing Blondie is a yellow lab. She will adjust and enjoy her new lifestyle. Welcome to TV!
Old 01-04-2021, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev View Post
I can’t believe it is really going to happen. In just a little over 5 months, we will be moving to The Villages. “We” is my wonderful wife, Blondie (our 9+ year old lab) and me.
Blondie loves to lay out on the driveway, when it’s 20 degrees outside. It’s her winter coat. To you Lab owners, how did your Lab adjust to the Florida warmth. We will be year-long Villagers. I’m worried about her coat adjusting.
Thanks everyone, in advance, for your help.
From Minnesnowtans, Kevin and Teresa.
Since you are asking, surely you are aware. Five months from now is May or June. It is HOT.
You will worry. Your dog will learn quickly that an afternoon nap in air conditioning is a happy normal.
Reincarnation? I'm not sure I believe in it but, if it is reality and I have a choice, I'm coming back as a Villager's dog. Just please don't get me one of those outfits or a stroller. The people who bought a deluxe four seater golf cart for their retriever-how do I get one of those????????
Old 01-04-2021, 10:24 AM

Walk in the coolest times of the day. You can purchase a cool vest which helps. You wet and refrigerate it. The evaporating water helps cool the dog. Our Border Collie uses our pool more than we do.
Closed Thread

Tags
lab, it’s, coat, blondie, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.