How do pets beat the heat?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Default How do pets beat the heat?

We are moving to TV in June. We have a little bulldog who loves to take long walks but is really sensitive to heat. Are there any inside walking areas for pets at TV or do we just need to walk him at the crack of dawn or late at night? Might be a silly question but it is worth asking.

Thanks for any responses.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvillagegirl View Post
We are moving to TV in June. We have a little bulldog who loves to take long walks but is really sensitive to heat. Are there any inside walking areas for pets at TV or do we just need to walk him at the crack of dawn or late at night? Might be a silly question but it is worth asking.

Thanks for any responses.
Actually no , its not worth asking , This is Florida , Its the southern most spot in the US. ITS GETS HOT, I would suggest you take him out at the crack of dawn .....The asphalt is still hot in the evening and he might do a Fred Astaire impersonation ......

oo-ow-oo-oo wow oo ....fumar
Old 05-09-2011, 08:29 PM

We wonder and worry about the same thing regarding our dog. He runs for shade as soon as temps hit 70.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Sage

If you have a treadmill, remember you can teach the dog to walk on it with the speed set low. Takes patience, but soon, doggie learns and gets some needed exercise. Mornings aren't bad for walking your dog, the pavement hasn't heated up yet, the sun isn't quite as warm as later in the day and you'll get a chance to see lots of other walkers, some with doggies, some without.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
14thMed

Fumar .. I think the most southern part of the U.S. is in hawaii... is that spelled right?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Some dogs tolerate the heat better than others. Sadly, pugs, bulldogs (English. French) and other short-snouted pups have it a little harder because of the humidity. Morning walks (before 10:00 am); walks after 9:00 pm should be fine. You can always test the asphalt -- if it burns your feet, it will burn your dog's. Golf cart rides to the doggie parks are always fun -- just skip the middle of day (not enough shade except at the Paradise park).

If you're going for long walks, take some water for the fuzzbutt. Dehydration is a biggie here for all critters.

The golf cart rides will more than make up for the missed walks in your dog's mind. Have only seen two dogs that don't like riding in the carts -- one was a mastiff and just didn't fit comfortably; the other was a lab who had fallen out of a cart and never quite forgave the cart nor the owner for the mishap.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default paradise dog park

has lots of shade most of the time and if other dogs in park your pooch will get more than enough exercise BESIDES every dog needs to sniff some butt!...giggle, giggle, snort, snort!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Fumar...nice about a dog?

Wow, I can't let that one go....The Great Fumar has posted a kind and considerate response about Dogs! Now I have seen it all hahahaha
Old 05-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Gold member
Default Fumar mellowing?

I haven't met Fumar (we non-confrontational types with dogs don't need the stress at our ages , but maybe he is mellowing? Actually, I secretly suspect he has multiple dogs (more than the allowed 2 pets), and his posts are just a smokescreen . . .

Back to the subject - we always take (at least when we remember), a plastic container of ice on golf cart rides - it soon melts, although our dog - an old miniature poodle - likes to lick the ice also. We found out by accident that he will also drink/lick from this on car trips - he will refuse regular water, and long trips were really stressing him out until we discovered this. You can get another cup of ice at McDonald's on the way or bring some in a cooler.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Nobody would think to wear a fur coat in Florida during the summer time. Dogs really have no choice; they are kind of stuck with it. Dogs rely on their owners to look out for them. Walks on summer afternoons early evenings is out of the question. Early morning walks are the best time for walks. As mentioned, the blacktop is very hot during the day and does not cool down for hours. It might seem like acceptable conditions for you, but your four legged friend does not wear shoes and hot pavement does burn their padded little feet! Allowing a dog to run along side a golf cart or a bike is not a wise decision on the part of the dog’s owner.

There is a doggy park called “Doggy Doo Run”. It has very large running areas for different size dogs, plenty of fresh water, fences, and they pick up the dog drops after you place a flag down. For a small monthly fee: ($30.00), or you can pay a $3.00 daily fee using their honor drop box at the gate, it is well worth the cost so your dog can run and socialize with the other dogs. I think they close at 7 PM so you might want to get there in the morning. I would not take them during the daytime for the same reason stated earlier. Heat! It is pretty much open pasture land with some trees on the fenced borders.

During your walks in the morning in TV you will find other dog owners who enjoy sharing their dog stories, making it enjoyable to take those walks with your dog and having the opportunity to meet new friends. Enjoy...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Lots of good advice here. I'm a cat person so this is not my field, but my good friend across the street tells me he takes his little sweet dog out early in the morning for a good walk before the pavement heats up. Later in the day, when he takes her out, he takes her by golf cart to the area surrounding the neighborhood pond and walks her on the grass, which she just loves.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I see folks letting the dog run along next to the golf cart... Seems very efficient to me....dog gets a ride and then a good long run. I'm sure 15 to 20 minutes at 15 mph will do ....
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Ditto on Doggie Doo Run Run......absolutely wonderful for the doggies and they also have 2 small pools. I thought the price was $25 for a month? And they are open until 6pm, fabulous place - will be there Sunday!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Ditto on Doggie Doo Run Run......absolutely wonderful for the doggies and they also have 2 small pools. I thought the price was $25 for a month? And they are open until 6pm, fabulous place - will be there Sunday!
$25 for one dog per month and $30 for two dogs.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
Fumar .. I think the most southern part of the U.S. is in hawaii... is that spelled right?
OK OK , I misspoke , I should have said continental US...However your spelling needs work, Hawaii is a state therefore spelled with a capitol letter....
I can only give you a 50% on that.................

Mensa fumar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.