Cat Sitter Cost

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
How old is the Cat with no teeth? And why did that happen?
Probably stomatitis, full mouth extractions cures the problem.

Feline Stomatitis • MSPCA-Angell

Joe
Old 09-14-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
How old is the Cat with no teeth? And why did that happen?
It is a genetic anomaly in some cats; some will get their adult teeth in but they come in soft and fall out. Others will lose their milk teeth and the adult teeth never come in. With mine, she never had half of her teeth, which caused difficulty eating, she had filled sinuses so had to breathe through her mouth, which caused decay in her remaining teeth, and those finally had to come out a couple of weeks ago. She's 10 years old, but she was half-toothless from the time she was a couple of months old until then.

Domestic cats with dental issues is not uncommon or rare. Toothless domestic cats are less common, but still not rare.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Some cats don't, or can't, eat dry food. My cat has no teeth. She is fed three times every day. First thing in the morning, a snack mid-day, and last thing before bed. She can only eat pate, no shredded food.

Cats don't have a "natural" thirst drive. If a cat is eagerly drinking water, it's usually because a) you refuse to give her wet food and she is dehydrated enough to actually drink water or b) way past that point and already suffering from renal failure.

Some cats like drinking water, but most do not, and if you fed them only wet food, and put a water dish beside the food dish, would never drink from the water dish. It's not in their nature to do so.

Feeding a cat kibble is unhealthy. Cats are obligate carnivores; their digestive systems are not designed to handle dried pea protein or alfalfa or potato starch. They are also gluten intolerant and can't efficiently digest wheat or most other grains, including rice.

Most domestic cats that are fed kibble, eventually die of renal failure. That's not true in most domestic cats fed exclusively grain-free wet food or a raw food diet including organ meat.

By the time a cat is diagnosed with kidney failure, he has already likely been suffering for years. Cats don't express pain in the same way dogs or other pets do.

If someone says they need a cat sitter to come 2-3 times a day to feed them, then they are being a responsible cat-owner. If you think self-feeding dry food for a few days at a time is all that's needed, I hope you are someone else's domestic cat in your next life, so you can see just how cruel that is for yourself.

And for anyone who claims kibble is good for teeth - I suggest you try to clean your teeth by eating stale biscuits for the next month, and keep your toothbrush in the cabinet. Good luck with that.
Thank you for the info. You obviously know a lot about feline health and dietary needs

I’ve had a number of cats over my lifetime and fed them moist food and real liver. None had any natural health issue except exceptionally old age.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
It is a genetic anomaly in some cats; some will get their adult teeth in but they come in soft and fall out. Others will lose their milk teeth and the adult teeth never come in. With mine, she never had half of her teeth, which caused difficulty eating, she had filled sinuses so had to breathe through her mouth, which caused decay in her remaining teeth, and those finally had to come out a couple of weeks ago. She's 10 years old, but she was half-toohttps://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2256610#thless from the time she was a couple of months old until then.

Domestic cats with dental issues is not uncommon or rare. Toothless domestic cats are less common, but still not rare.
I recall that my grandfather had a farm. He always had cats around but they never had names other than descriptive. They never got dental or medical treatment. They were on their own and he let them forage for themselves. Some would disappear and new ones would show up.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I recall that my grandfather had a farm. He always had cats around but they never had names other than descriptive. They never got dental or medical treatment. They were on their own and he let them forage for themselves. Some would disappear and new ones would show up.
Other than fleas, ticks (and a traumatic paralysis that can come with certain diseases that ticks can give to cats and dogs), distemper, FPV, feline leukemia, mange, infections and death to the females if they breed too young and too often, and being prey of almost every predatorial animal in the vicinity, farm cats can live a long time in relative health. They don't forage though. They are predators, and will eat only other animals if they're outdoor cats. They chew on grasses as a method of settling their stomach or forcing regurgitation if they eat something that doesn't agree with their digestive system. Sort of how we eat a mint after dinner.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Other than fleas, ticks (and a traumatic paralysis that can come with certain diseases that ticks can give to cats and dogs), distemper, FPV, feline leukemia, mange, infections and death to the females if they breed too young and too often, and being prey of almost every predatorial animal in the vicinity, farm cats can live a long time in relative health. They don't forage though. They are predators, and will eat only other animals if they're outdoor cats. They chew on grasses as a method of settling their stomach or forcing regurgitation if they eat something that doesn't agree with their digestive system. Sort of how we eat a mint after dinner.
Back at that time and situation, cats were considered disposable They provided a service of pest control. But, having no union, they were easily replaced at no cost. Seldom was a cat considered to be worth paying for dental or medical treatment. How life has changed!
Old 09-16-2023, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

professional sitters, depending upon the cost of living, make about 25-30$ per cat per hour. . . granted that can appear to be high, like a fire department increase in percentage terms, (but worth the cost when you need them and quickly) but there is travel, multiple locations, unfriendly animals, etc, involved, and peoples' companions, so if you have pets, just pay the rate for good service
Old 09-16-2023, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtraupman View Post
What is the typical cost for a cat sitter to come to your house twice a day to feed and water your cats, clean litter box, etc.?

What Village are you in?
Old 09-17-2023, 03:43 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
We pay $20 a day for two cats.
I am currently renting in TV as I make a final decision on purchasing and becoming a FT resident when I retire later this year. When I do become FT in TV I will come with seven cats (Please no cat lady jokes, thank you…) All of them are rescuers under 2 years old. One cat requires seizure prevention meds 2 times a day.

For those posting their rates, what would be a daily rate for 2 daily visits, one early AM and the second early PM to feed, change/clean litter, play/interact/housesit for 1 hour min each visit?

Daily pics are not needed, I will have a bedroom dedicated to the cats and will have 2 observation camera’s in the bedroom and other cameras throughout the house.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
I am currently renting in TV as I make a final decision on purchasing and becoming a FT resident when I retire later this year. When I do become FT in TV I will come with seven cats (Please no cat lady jokes, thank you…) All of them are rescuers under 2 years old. One cat requires seizure prevention meds 2 times a day.

For those posting their rates, what would be a daily rate for 2 daily visits, one early AM and the second early PM to feed, change/clean litter, play/interact/housesit for 1 hour min each visit?

Daily pics are not needed, I will have a bedroom dedicated to the cats and will have 2 observation camera’s in the bedroom and other cameras throughout the house.
I hope all 7 are strictly indoor cats. I also hope you understand, acknowledge, and agree to abide by the rule that you're only allowed 2 pets per household - so you won't be allowed to replace any, until you only have one left. And then, you can replace - one.

I'd happily come to feed, water, clean the litter box, and spend some "human-pet quality time" with neighborhood cats. I wouldn't charge a thing. But you couldn't pay me enough to take responsibility for your 7 cats. Especially if one of the seven has daily medical needs. And if I had a cat with daily medical needs, I'd never leave her to strangers in the house.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Some cats don't, or can't, eat dry food. My cat has no teeth. She is fed three times every day. First thing in the morning, a snack mid-day, and last thing before bed. She can only eat pate, no shredded food.

Cats don't have a "natural" thirst drive. If a cat is eagerly drinking water, it's usually because a) you refuse to give her wet food and she is dehydrated enough to actually drink water or b) way past that point and already suffering from renal failure.

Some cats like drinking water, but most do not, and if you fed them only wet food, and put a water dish beside the food dish, would never drink from the water dish. It's not in their nature to do so.

Feeding a cat kibble is unhealthy. Cats are obligate carnivores; their digestive systems are not designed to handle dried pea protein or alfalfa or potato starch. They are also gluten intolerant and can't efficiently digest wheat or most other grains, including rice.

Most domestic cats that are fed kibble, eventually die of renal failure. That's not true in most domestic cats fed exclusively grain-free wet food or a raw food diet including organ meat.

By the time a cat is diagnosed with kidney failure, he has already likely been suffering for years. Cats don't express pain in the same way dogs or other pets do.

If someone says they need a cat sitter to come 2-3 times a day to feed them, then they are being a responsible cat-owner. If you think self-feeding dry food for a few days at a time is all that's needed, I hope you are someone else's domestic cat in your next life, so you can see just how cruel that is for yourself.

And for anyone who claims kibble is good for teeth - I suggest you try to clean your teeth by eating stale biscuits for the next month, and keep your toothbrush in the cabinet. Good luck with that.
Do you have nothing better to do than rudely criticize someone when all they were doing was asking for help? It really isn't your business how someone takes care of their animals anyway. Some people aren't over the top when it comes to their pets. Try being kind instead of critical.

Last edited by KatieRN; 09-18-2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieRN View Post
Do you have nothing better to do than rudely criticize someone when all they were doing was asking for help? It really isn't your business how someone takes care of their animals anyway. Some people aren't over the top when it comes to their pets. Try being kind instead of critical.
1. The person I responded to wasn't asking for help. The person I was responding to was telling the OP how they handle a few days away, and I was pointing out why that method was not ideal, in detail.
2. Any time someone posts information about their lives, their pets, how they care for them here on a public forum, it becomes the business of everyone who reads the post. If people don't want other people commenting about their personal lives, they should stop posting about it in public forums.
3. Rather than criticize me, try criticizing the information, the context of the post. Since, y'know, them's the rules around here.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:37 AM

CAT FIGHT!!!

Old 10-14-2023, 06:11 PM
Location: Native to West Palm Beach, FL I am renting current home, yet to decide if TV will be next move.

Quote:
I hope all 7 are strictly indoor cats. I also hope you understand, acknowledge, and agree to abide by the rule that you're only allowed 2 pets per household - so you won't be allowed to replace any, until you only have one left. And then, you can replace - one.
Yes, all my cats are INDOOR ONLY Spaded and Neutered, full shots and micro-chipped.

As for the so called "rule" of the number of pets you say I need to abide by, the owner of the house I am renting has 3 small dogs, she has been a multi-unit owner in TV for over 10 years. Her neighbor, who has lived in TV full time for 8 years also has 4 (indoor only) cats and a saltwater tank with 15 coral fish. I am assuming this "2 pet only" rule you mention seems to be either flexible and/or not enforced.

Quote:
I'd happily come to feed, water, clean the litter box, and spend some "human-pet quality time" with neighborhood cats. I wouldn't charge a thing. But you couldn't pay me enough to take responsibility for your 7 cats. Especially if one of the seven has daily medical needs. And if I had a cat with daily medical needs, I'd never leave her to strangers in the house.
Even at no charge, I would never have you near my cats anyway, your a complete stranger. As for the cat with daily medical needs, its only providing 1/2 a pill twice a day, vet has validated as long as dosage is given there should be no issues to prevent me traveling. I have never had any problems before with using a friendly, qualified and vet recommended home pet sitter, in fact most vets highly recommend using a home sitter instead of boarding. All previous siters I have used I have fully qualified and made sure the sitter and my cats get interaction time before I travel.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, all my cats are INDOOR ONLY Spaded and Neutered, full shots and micro-chipped.

As for the so called "rule" of the number of pets you say I need to abide by, the owner of the house I am renting has 3 small dogs, she has been a multi-unit owner in TV for over 10 years. Her neighbor, who has lived in TV full time for 8 years also has 4 (indoor only) cats and a saltwater tank with 15 coral fish. I am assuming this "2 pet only" rule you mention seems to be either flexible and/or not enforced.

Even at no charge, I would never have you near my cats anyway, your a complete stranger. As for the cat with daily medical needs, its only providing 1/2 a pill twice a day, vet has validated as long as dosage is given there should be no issues to prevent me traveling. I have never had any problems before with using a friendly, qualified and vet recommended home pet sitter, in fact most vets highly recommend using a home sitter instead of boarding. All previous siters I have used I have fully qualified and made sure the sitter and my cats get interaction time before I travel.
If you would only consider qualified, vet-recommended home sitters, then why would you be asking on a public forum, to total strangers, what they charge? What difference does it make what these people charge? They're complete strangers that you wouldn't let near your cats anyway, just like I am.
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, sitter, cost, feed, box

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.