Coming down! What need I know?

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2023, 06:47 PM
Default Coming down! What need I know?

As a dog parent, what would you have liked to know…about The Villages and/or the area…before coming to retire?

Great stuff?

Not so great?
Old 06-14-2023, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post
As a dog parent, what would you have liked to know…about The Villages and/or the area…before coming to retire?

Great stuff?

Not so great?
We knew we wanted a yard for them to run around in so we knew we wanted a courtyard villa with the biggest yard that we could find and also a 2 car garage. We hunted around until we found one. They are happy and we are happy.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

One could write a book.

Love this place but suggest you spend some time on here reading threads on what goes on
Old 06-15-2023, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It’s summer, if you choose to walk your dog on the sidewalk or road…..Please take off your shoe and stand on that surface. If it’s too hot for you to stand for more than a few minutes that it’s really too hot to walk your dog for 1/2 hour. Please invest in booties for you pup, we used them in winter and hot summer months
Old 06-15-2023, 01:14 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts
Default No Dogs Allowed

Quote:

Great stuff?

Not so great?
If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is a barking dog. I will politely ask the dog owner to keep the animal quiet one time but the next time the dog has a fit of prolonged barking I will let the police handle it. Believe it or not but there are a number of us who don't like dogs, don't want friends & neighbors bringing their dog to the house, and definitely do not want to see a dog in a restaurant under the guise of being a service dog. Dogs do not belong at public gatherings such as neighborhood parties and they should never be allowed at the squares. As a helpful warning, do not walk your dog within 15 feet or so from the edge of the ponds or the dog (or you) could be an alligators next meal. Stay on the paved trail and you will be fine.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Get your little buddy treated with a hookworm preventative, especially if you bring him/her to dog parks. Many people don’t properly clean up after their dogs and in the Florida climate hookworm can easily be spread through feces. Trust me, we learned that the hard way with our Border Collie. Also, good veterinary care is hard to find here and the good ones are very busy. Establish a relationship with a veterinarian ASAP because if you wait for an emergency it will be to lake. Welcome and best of luck.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:23 PM

Contrary to popular belief....The Villages is not as dog - friendly as the sales representatives would want you to believe - IMO

I speak from 15 years experience with my dogs in The Villages.
We snowbird in Northern Wisconsin where our dogs have unlimited freedom , safe lakes to swim in, off leash walking trails that go for miles, and plenty of chipmunks to chase !

When we come here for the winter we have a nice yard with our CYV for them to lounge in.
We take them to the nice dog parks occasionally but beware of the usual " Click" groups that frequent those parks....they will scrutinize you and your dog(s) up and down as you will be the new interloper that has entered.

We also tether our dogs in our golf cart to ride in at night and they seem to enjoy that very much as well.

We go to the squares and listen to the bands, but never do they leave that cart to walk the squares.

And Please never leave your dog(s) unattended in your cart either, that is irresponsible to say the least.

Other than that our dogs are quite stifled from thier normal Wisconsin routine when we get there but they always behave amazingly enough.

I also seem to forget alot of folks are not dog people and you need to respect the rules and regulations regarding pets in TV because believe me you and your dog(s) will be confronted if you don't...just saying.

Wish I could paint you a prettier picture ~ Sorry.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Bring poop bags. It's a sore subject here...
Old 06-15-2023, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
If there is one thing I cannot stand, it is a barking dog. I will politely ask the dog owner to keep the animal quiet one time but the next time the dog has a fit of prolonged barking I will let the police handle it. Believe it or not but there are a number of us who don't like dogs, don't want friends & neighbors bringing their dog to the house, and definitely do not want to see a dog in a restaurant under the guise of being a service dog. Dogs do not belong at public gatherings such as neighborhood parties and they should never be allowed at the squares. As a helpful warning, do not walk your dog within 15 feet or so from the edge of the ponds or the dog (or you) could be an alligators next meal. Stay on the paved trail and you will be fine.
Well, at least the last part of your post was helpful...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-15-2023, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Bring poop bags. It's a sore subject here...
It's a sore subject even if you do bring the bags...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-15-2023, 06:57 PM

We are coming from Dane County and have spent many great weekends in Arbor Vitae....

I'm very appreciative of the unvarnished observations. I was/am seeking a realistic set of viewpoints.

Many thanks from a fellow Badger
Old 06-15-2023, 06:59 PM

Can I impose for elaboration?

I would not dream of leaving any poop behind, anywhere.....with a considered effort to have most voiding occur on my own property.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:01 AM

Small dogs can be lunch for eagles and hawks...don't let them out alone in a courtyard. Keep it on a leash, and know not everyone loves Fido or wants him to approach them. Dogs have no place at the squares during music venues. Pick up the poop and respect other people's lawns. Otherwise you're good.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

You will find the State of Florida to be fairly dog unfriendly when it comes to the beaches. Most public beaches do not allow dogs. It is strange, at least to me, that you can drive your car onto many beaches, and let it leak oil all day, but you cannot bring your dog.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Can I impose for elaboration?

I would not dream of leaving any poop behind, anywhere.....with a considered effort to have most voiding occur on my own property.

Dog owners who go for long walks for exercise, with proper short leash, never allowed to enter yards, respect their neighbors, and leave deposit in their yard only. They realize some work hard to try keep a green healthy lawn. ( that is difficult in FL) The lawn owner is Glad to be Mowing without stepping in remnants of left behind presents. Many who no longer own dogs, would like their lawn to stay dog free. Not dog haters just tired of upkeep from dogs they do not own.

Then there are the lawns usually the corner lots that can become the “dog” park of their neighborhood, baggies for waste removal can be only a suggestion for some. It’s hard for some of those owners who can no longer pick up after your dog.

It is and always will be those who think everyone’s lawn is their personal dog park, ( because every lawn has an easement and it’s perfectly proper to allow your dog to use anyone’s easement lawn).

All of our very large Belgians were never allowed to walk on someone else’s property easement or not. They were train to use their lawn, and walks or runs were for exercise. . My father in law was attacked, from behind, with serious damage to his hand and fingers by a large shepherd, running loose while in his yard. He wouldn’t come to our house unless we penned our dog, and that was only once a year at Christmas, never any other gatherings.

OP you will find this subject can become very uncivilized. But realize there are people who really are not comfortable around dogs, good or very well trained. Plus it’s pain to watch our 90 plus year old neighbor bend down to pick up after dogs in his easement part of the yard. For a dog that he doesn’t own.

Last edited by asianthree; 06-16-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
coming, great, stuff, retire, area…before

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.