Coming down! What need I know?

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2023, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitsee View Post
Contrary to popular belief....The Villages is not as dog - friendly as the sales representatives would want you to believe - IMO

I speak from 15 years experience with my dogs in The Villages.
We snowbird in Northern Wisconsin where our dogs have unlimited freedom , safe lakes to swim in, off leash walking trails that go for miles, and plenty of chipmunks to chase !

When we come here for the winter we have a nice yard with our CYV for them to lounge in.
We take them to the nice dog parks occasionally but beware of the usual " Click" groups that frequent those parks....they will scrutinize you and your dog(s) up and down as you will be the new interloper that has entered.

We also tether our dogs in our golf cart to ride in at night and they seem to enjoy that very much as well.

We go to the squares and listen to the bands, but never do they leave that cart to walk the squares.

And Please never leave your dog(s) unattended in your cart either, that is irresponsible to say the least.

Other than that our dogs are quite stifled from thier normal Wisconsin routine when we get there but they always behave amazingly enough.

I also seem to forget alot of folks are not dog people and you need to respect the rules and regulations regarding pets in TV because believe me you and your dog(s) will be confronted if you don't...just saying.

Wish I could paint you a prettier picture ~ Sorry.

Could I have misunderstood? You don’t really tether your dog to your golf cart and allow your dog to run along? I can’t think of many things more dangerous for your dog. Wow!
Old 06-16-2023, 06:18 AM

The Villages is very dog-friendly. The people who live here...not so much.
As you can see from some of the responses to your post, they make no bones about their disdain for dogs (no pun intended).
Old 06-16-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post
As a dog parent, what would you have liked to know…about The Villages and/or the area…before coming to retire?

Great stuff?

Not so great?
Here only parts of the year, but this is what I see. Dogs here are among the calmest, most well-trained dogs I've encountered anywhere in my travels. I've met them in the squares, at the farmer's market in Brownwood, and during what I call the "dog parade" in the early morning or evenings. You'd think there would be a bark-a-palooza, but nope. These dogs I've met are all well socialized and obedient. I've learned to stop laughing at the dog "baby" carriages and booties, a necessity because of the heat. I always ask if it's OK to approach, just like everywhere else. Most people here seem to like dogs as well, as long as they (dogs, but maybe the people too!) are polite, well-trained, and don't assume a welcome. Definitely line up your vet and dog care services in advance. And be aware that tiny dogs can be seen as supper by predators, but that's kind of true everywhere.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage

IF your dog(s) love to be free...this community will make them unhappy as there are leash laws. Also if they love the water....too bad as all the ponds, lakes have gators and it's not a good idea to let Rover or Mitzi take a plunge. Yes, you can rent or purchase a court-yard villa with a fence but as another stated we do have cayotes, bear, hawks and other wildlife that will attack if they can. You won't want to just "let" poochie out on it's own.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Could I have misunderstood? You don’t really tether your dog to your golf cart and allow your dog to run along? I can’t think of many things more dangerous for your dog. Wow!
I think you very much misunderstood. "We also tether our dogs in our golf cart" You missed a rather important word. The dogs ride not run.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
No, no, no - that’s not what was meant. Most all dogs love golf cart rides, but for their safety you need to use something as a seat belt for them.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:40 AM

There are a lot of dogs and dog-lovers in the Villages. Sadly there are also many people that complain about the number of dogs and dogs using their lawns for rest-stops. You will see loads of "dog poop" threads on this site. ☺️
There are dog parks in most areas and many paths to walk your dog. Some homes have fences, Verandas, Courtyard Villas and some of the newer Patio Villas in Marsh Bend. If you are a responsible dog-owner, and you must be or you wouldn't be
Inquiring, keep your pup leashed, watch for hot pavement, and don't get too close to any ponds. If there's a pond there's probably an alligator. Welcome to the area. Hope your dog enjoys it.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoDogsDad View Post
As a dog parent, what would you have liked to know…about The Villages and/or the area…before coming to retire?

Great stuff?

Not so great?
Not a resident, but we’ve been on two lifestyle visits and are coming back for two weeks this summer with our dog. We’ve brought her each time and had nothing but good experiences. Just use common sense; pick up, keep them constrained, if they’re loud put them up, etc. We had several people approach us and love on our dog and tell us how pretty she is, pet her, etc. Had a nice conversation with three ladies at LSL who told us all about their dogs. We brought her to the squares (while shopping, not to the nightly music) as well as Edna’s and either kept her in our lap or tightly constrained and had no problems. You know how it is, there’s good dog owners, and seemingly clueless dog owners. Be the good dog owner, lol.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Get your little buddy treated with a hookworm preventative, especially if you bring him/her to dog parks. Many people don’t properly clean up after their dogs and in the Florida climate hookworm can easily be spread through feces. Trust me, we learned that the hard way with our Border Collie. Also, good veterinary care is hard to find here and the good ones are very busy. Establish a relationship with a veterinarian ASAP because if you wait for an emergency it will be to lake. Welcome and best of luck.
What is the prevention of it?
Old 06-16-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahcme View Post
Here only parts of the year, but this is what I see. Dogs here are among the calmest, most well-trained dogs I've encountered anywhere in my travels. I've met them in the squares, at the farmer's market in Brownwood, and during what I call the "dog parade" in the early morning or evenings. You'd think there would be a bark-a-palooza, but nope. These dogs I've met are all well socialized and obedient. I've learned to stop laughing at the dog "baby" carriages and booties, a necessity because of the heat. I always ask if it's OK to approach, just like everywhere else. Most people here seem to like dogs as well, as long as they (dogs, but maybe the people too!) are polite, well-trained, and don't assume a welcome. Definitely line up your vet and dog care services in advance. And be aware that tiny dogs can be seen as supper by predators, but that's kind of true everywhere.
LOL You havent met my Rocky then he lives up to his name..........NOT well trained but hates birds has to check you over and is a bit of a fighter.......couldn never break him of these habits at 8 weeks old..........
Old 06-16-2023, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Lots of thunderstorms/lightning here in the summer. Is your dog afraid? think about it.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
What is the prevention of it?
There are different medications veterinarians can give a dog to prevent commonly found parasitic infections in different geographic locations, including hookworm which is common in the Villages area.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:14 PM

A lot of info already. Over many years we had many dogs. When all 5 kids are gone and married we never bought another for us. I don't take them anywhere other than a walk. It's great for the. You can have the electrical fence so you can leave out around your home. Do not, I repeat, do not take dogs to your postal address as they all get off the cart and immediately take a p__sprobably 100 per day. Don't walk it around the squares, home depot, resturants. That should be enough. Crazies her are losing it. There is a law re. Dogs ability to service a owner that always work and work well. They are very expensive an
Old 06-16-2023, 04:16 PM

Reply on paper as well. Many people have tiny dogs claiming that's what they have. I know differant. They really tend to get in people's way. Probably much worse than you are. God Bless
Old 06-17-2023, 01:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool The Other Side of the Coin

I'm just curious . . . What breed is your dog or what size is she/he? THAT could matter.

If your dog is a yapper, you will have a problem. If your dog is large, you could have a problem, but most people will simply cross the street.

Take your dog out in your own yard to "go" before you take him/her for a walk. Mid day the street is too hot for your pup's feet. If you walk your dog close to the street/gutter on someone's grass they will probably be P.O.'d and let you know about it in Spades. Keep in mind that you are walking your dog on a county easement (even though the owner mows the grass) but the owner doesn't care; he thinks it's still his grass.

You cannot have a fence and the villas only have very limited contained outdoor space. On a serious note, you might want to consider looking for a home elsewhere if you want a fence and I can recommend a Realtor if that is the route you choose to go. It isn't easy to be a dog owner in The Villages and YOU must be vigilent as a dog owner, in doing what other owners think you should do.

Tags
coming, great, stuff, retire, area…before

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.