Coming down! What need I know?

Closed Thread
Old 06-17-2023, 06:30 PM

I'm appreciative of the curiosity and the insight.

I have a coonhound/terrier mix and an English setter. Both ARE accustomed to a fenced in yard that they can hang out in.

But, we three (I'm a singleton) are going to be in for changes and we'll adapt. They are both around 40 pounds. So, not ankle-biters, but not of an intimidating size.

I envision that elimination will occur on MY property to the absolute extent possible. I pride myself on being both a good "dog dad" AND a courteous and considerate neighbor.

Leash walks and dog park visits will be the "new normal".

And.....we have over two years before we arrive, there. They will both be seniors, and mellower, by then.
Old 06-18-2023, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

I have 2 dogs. I’ve never experienced any negativity. My neighborhood is very dog friendly. I don’t take my dogs out and about though. They bark too much. But there are lots of people here with dogs. Using common sense is all it requires. I’ve never encountered any negativity with or about my dogs while out and about, I think this site in particular is where all the negative nellies are.
Old 06-18-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I’ve never encountered any negativity with or about my dogs while out and about, I think this site in particular is where all the negative nellies are.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
I have 2 dogs. I’ve never experienced any negativity. My neighborhood is very dog friendly. I don’t take my dogs out and about though. They bark too much. But there are lots of people here with dogs. Using common sense is all it requires. I’ve never encountered any negativity with or about my dogs while out and about, I think this site in particular is where all the negative nellies are.
Same here... Some of our neighbors (who don't have dogs) greet us on our walks and have dog treats with them. They always ask if they can giver her one.

When we first moved in, we met our neighbors behind us. We walked over and said hello. Maggie promptly dropped a deuce on their lawn. My wife apologized profusely. They said, "Don't worry about it. Just please clean of after her" (which we always do...)

-Tom Petty
Old 06-18-2023, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
In eight years we only experienced negativity once. We were walking through Spanish Springs on a quiet afternoon, minding our own business with our dog on a short leash, and some guy sitting on a bench purposely swung out his leg at our passing dog trying to kick her for absolutely no reason. My wife literally had to jump on my back to keep me from pummeling the f’in douchebag.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:48 AM

I have seen many humans that are much dirtier and messier than any dog
Old 07-20-2023, 12:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeikenberry View Post
Small dogs can be lunch for eagles and hawks...don't let them out alone in a courtyard. Keep it on a leash, and know not everyone loves Fido or wants him to approach them. Dogs have no place at the squares during music venues. Pick up the poop and respect other people's lawns. Otherwise you're good.
Are there rules about dogs in squares? I do not know for sure.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
You will find the State of Florida to be fairly dog unfriendly when it comes to the beaches. Most public beaches do not allow dogs. It is strange, at least to me, that you can drive your car onto many beaches, and let it leak oil all day, but you cannot bring your dog.
We have a great dog beach in Venice. I have found Florida to be friendlier than NY concerning dogs. Many restaurants have outside seating that is dog friendly, and will give the dog a frisbee and water. On St Armands in SRQ or the main strip oin Naples the stores keep treats for the regulars. Just be considerate. There are some extreme cases on both sides that get most of the attention (ie bringing your dog to a neighboprs lawn to relieve itself or yelling at a dog if it barks.)
Old 07-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Could I have misunderstood? You don’t really tether your dog to your golf cart and allow your dog to run along? I can’t think of many things more dangerous for your dog. Wow!
Excuse You! You are mistaken. To do my part to fight Global warming, I tether my dog to my cart to pull it, not run alongside it. I am saving the Earth, you are welcome.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
IF your dog(s) love to be free...this community will make them unhappy as there are leash laws. Also if they love the water....too bad as all the ponds, lakes have gators and it's not a good idea to let Rover or Mitzi take a plunge. Yes, you can rent or purchase a court-yard villa with a fence but as another stated we do have cayotes, bear, hawks and other wildlife that will attack if they can. You won't want to just "let" poochie out on it's own.
I am from a place called Tuxedo Park in NY. 90% of the dogs ran free. We had thousands of acres and three lakes. You would think it paradise for dogs. We also had rattlers, bears, coyotes and raptors (Bird type, not dinosaur THOUGH there was the Lake Monster (different story). Many times I would find a neighborhood dog many miles away trotting by a highway after it got lost after chasing deer or turkey beyond its normal range. IMO, and only that, I wouldn't let a dog run loose out of your sight. Here, with gators especially.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:34 PM
Gold member

Been dog owners for many of the years we've lived here. We've had a variety of homes in The Villages, couple of courtyards etc. All the homes have worked with a dog because he gets goods walks, thered golf cart rides, now he loves the walking paths and fields. When we were in the courtyard, we did not leave him alone by the pool or in the yard to bark. Nothing really changed from when we moved from Maine to here. No eagles ever circled my dog to eat him.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Dog owners who go for long walks for exercise, with proper short leash, never allowed to enter yards, respect their neighbors, and leave deposit in their yard only. They realize some work hard to try keep a green healthy lawn. ( that is difficult in FL) The lawn owner is Glad to be Mowing without stepping in remnants of left behind presents. Many who no longer own dogs, would like their lawn to stay dog free. Not dog haters just tired of upkeep from dogs they do not own.
It is unconscionable to not pick up after your dog, but it is also unrealistic to expect a dog being walked through the neighborhood to never use the grass as a potty.
Old 07-20-2023, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
It is unconscionable to not pick up after your dog, but it is also unrealistic to expect a dog being walked through the neighborhood to never use the grass as a potty.
Our "behind the house" neighbor (they live on a street parallel to ours) has a dog and they let the dog out to do his business twice a day in the yard. He's chosen OUR yard to pee on and we have the burned grass marks to show for it. Unfortunately we're not out to monitor when this dog is running around, and it's not the same time every day and evening. We have spoken to the owner the couple of times we've actually watched it happen, but the owner doesn't really seem to care.
Old 07-21-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Our "behind the house" neighbor (they live on a street parallel to ours) has a dog and they let the dog out to do his business twice a day in the yard. He's chosen OUR yard to pee on and we have the burned grass marks to show for it. Unfortunately we're not out to monitor when this dog is running around, and it's not the same time every day and evening. We have spoken to the owner the couple of times we've actually watched it happen, but the owner doesn't really seem to care.
That's fair, and your neighbor is being rude. I'm talking about actually walking the dog on a leash around the block, and expecting the dog not to stop, sniff and pee.
Old 07-21-2023, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
That's fair, and your neighbor is being rude. I'm talking about actually walking the dog on a leash around the block, and expecting the dog not to stop, sniff and pee.
Hope you have a thick skin... The wrath of the "poop patrol" will soon be upon you...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
coming, great, stuff, retire, area…before

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.