County Animal Licensing???????

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default County Animal Licensing???????

Just received notice that we needed to pay $8.00 for dog's license, which is seperate from rabies license, hmmmm!....My husband wants to know why he feels like someone owes him a kiss!....It's the little things that "irk" us....According to license, if dog is lost they can locate the owner, also check and see if up-to-date on shots???? Isn't that the purpose of a rabies tag....The kicker is you send this check to TEXAS!!!?? Huh!!!!..Are we the only ones that find this ODD! It use to be done by vets but now the county!
Bureaucracy at it's BEST! It's not the $5 ($3 senior discount), it's the principal!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 PM

What county????
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default Lake County

Not sure if it applies to other counties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherzberg View Post
What county????
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM

We live in Sumter County and just received our notice. $5 if sterilized or $15 if the pet is intact. Renewal at the county office or most local vets. We also need proof of valid rabies vaccination.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:51 PM

We live in Saratoga Springs, NY and have always had to pay a license fee to our town. Licensing is mandatory for all dogs and you must show proof of current rabies vaccination. Is this something new in Florida?
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

License was required in Virginia as well. When your dog received their Rabies vaccination at the Vet, they gave you a certificate showing that this was done and it also indicated if animal was "fixed". You then had to go to county/or city of residence to get appropriate license. Cost was less if dog was neutered.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Dog licensing is very typical around the country. Most places I've lived have required licenses. Not sure about sending the check to Texas though. That sounds strange to me. Can get it at local vet office. We are in Marion county.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Dog licensing is very typical around the country. Most places I've lived have required licenses. Not sure about sending the check to Texas though. That sounds strange to me. Can get it at local vet office. We are in Marion county.
Dog licensing fees and rabies fees are two different things, and most places I have lived you need to show the rabies certificate in order to get a license. These fees are usually used to fund the county animal control department. Sending the fee to Texas makes no sense at all. I expect Bogie to pop up with the website and phone number of the local animal control office so you can verify.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Gold member

Looks like Lake County uses Irving TX for collection: Lake County FL Animal Licensing, c/o PetData, PO Box 141929, Irving TX 75014-1929
Here is the website and info:
https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departm...t_license.aspx

Last edited by obxgal; 02-24-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Dog licensing was required in West MI too. I don't know where you are from, jebartle, or if this is your first fog, but rest assured it's not someone trying to irk you with little stuff. It's very common.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
License was required in Virginia as well. When your dog received their Rabies vaccination at the Vet, they gave you a certificate showing that this was done and it also indicated if animal was "fixed". You then had to go to county/or city of residence to get appropriate license. Cost was less if dog was neutered.
Yep. When I lived in Virginia there was a knock on my door one day. A county officer was going door to door checking on dog licenses. I showed him the rabies certificate from the vet. That wouldn't do. I had to pay a separate fee to the county for the dog license.

They were doing the door to door campaign because they felt there was a lot of revenue they weren't getting.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 PM

You have to pay for cat license too…. No problem to me… I'd rather be safe and have my pets licensed. They also get rabies shots too. I never got a cat licensed where I lived before, it was not required. Rabies shots were.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Platinum member

Hey y'all, it's just another tax!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Both cat and dog licenses required in Marion county. I do it through the vet or you can get them at Marion County Animal Services on Baseline Rd toward Ocala. Easier at the vet.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 PM

So, we have to license our dog in home state plus in FL?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.