Coyote tore out our lanai screen, took cat

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I would certainly keep an eye on your cats, but don't be a nervous wreck over it. You ask why someone would post such a thing. There is a group of folks who are of the mindset that the Coyotes should be killed.....or trapped and removed. Killing them is just plain wrong. Trapping them would be an ever ending chore, because they would continue to flourish here. Folks just have to keep the cats indoors and always leash their dogs and watch them carefully. Every time the subject dries up for a week or two, it is resurrected by a false claim of a cat being taken. As far as I have seen....there was one dog taken that was let out at midnight without a leash. An incident of a cat being taken was two women who said their cat went missing and they "assume" it was a coyote. It may have just run off. There have been incidents of sightings for sure. But, don't over worry about this, just keep a close watch on your animals. We are in mid Florida and there are many threats out there.
Thanks. We lived down south in Florida, and I was never afraid. Possums and such just walked along, and much everything else was afraid of the cats...rats, snakes. This is something new to me and it frightens me. They have never been out and I would never allow that, both for their safety and cleanliness, but the thought of something coming IN after them is just crazy.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
I am a nervous wreck about this coyote/cat thing! I am so afraid to let the cats on the lanai unless one of us is out there with them. It seems most of you are skeptical of this post, and I get some of the reasons, but what I don't get is WHY would someone post this if it's NOT true? What do they gain? I'm serious...just confused and petrified for my kitties. I would just die if something I did caused them harm. I am ready to get bars on my screens!!
Perhaps a couple of guard roadrunners might help (Beep Beep)
Old 10-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks. We lived down south in Florida, and I was never afraid. Possums and such just walked along, and much everything else was afraid of the cats...rats, snakes. This is something new to me and it frightens me. They have never been out and I would never allow that, both for their safety and cleanliness, but the thought of something coming IN after them is just crazy.

In answer to your very sincere question about why would someone DO that, make this up?

The answer is that for some these kinds of forums are a game, and they enjoy getting people upset.

I think you should continue what you have been doing and I believe your kitties will be safe. I understand your love for them, they are family to us too.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I'm sure il be corrected for this, but I do not believe than any coyote has torn into anyone's lanai. Someone did say that a coyote came in their cat door, took the cat.......I would say that the cat just went out through his door and is now......gone....
Old 10-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Perhaps a couple of guard roadrunners might help (Beep Beep)
where can I get some?? and what do they eat??
Old 10-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I'm sure il be corrected for this, but I do not believe than any coyote has torn into anyone's lanai. Someone did say that a coyote came in their cat door, took the cat.......I would say that the cat just went out through his door and is now......gone....
I never thought that would happen, either. I never immunize my cats, except for their baby shots. I always said my cats never go out, and if something comes thru the screen to get it, chances are they would never survive because it's gotta be a big and rabid animal. The screens (new) are pretty secure, I thought, but hearing about this ripping, tearing thing is some thing I never thought would happen. I hope my own cavalier words don't come back to haunt me.
Thank you for some reassurance. For now, I think I'll still stay out there with them.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
In answer to your very sincere question about why would someone DO that, make this up?

The answer is that for some these kinds of forums are a game, and they enjoy getting people upset.

I think you should continue what you have been doing and I believe your kitties will be safe. I understand your love for them, they are family to us too.
Thanks! I would be absolutely bereft if something befell them that I could have prevented.
And as far as the other, I still can't comprehend that. You know I speak my mind, and am not afraid to be known as who I am...right or wrong...but I just don't get people outright lying and making sh-- up! CRAZY, if you ask me. What is their gain? Oh, well...
Old 10-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
where can I get some?? and what do they eat??
You can probably import them from Arizona and New Mexico
They eat Purina roadrunner chow
Old 10-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You can probably import them from Arizona and New Mexico
They eat Purina roadrunner chow
Old 10-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

Wow! I bet the OP will never post here again! I hope they read the thread about "Thin Skin Villagers". Such negativity....
Old 10-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-03-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-03-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Wow! I bet the OP will never post here again! I hope they read the thread about "Thin Skin Villagers". Such negativity....
I think I can safely speak for us skeptics when I say if the OP lost 2 cats in the manner described, we are sincerely sorry for her (and the cats)especially given all the effort to train them in the manner posted in 2010. But there just is something about the whole story that doesn't hang together, hence the twilight zone comment. My 16 year old cat, who never left our property, went missing 10 days ago, so I am sympathetic to anyone who lost a pet. Best guess is a red fox got her (the animal, not the actor)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Seems sad if she was so emotionally low she had to make up a story to get attention. Let's therefore give her the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Seems sad if she was so emotionally low she had to make up a story to get attention. Let's therefore give her the benefit of the doubt.
You are absolutely right. I've deleted my two recent "skeptical" posts.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-03-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, lanai, door, timmer, screen, young, back, tore, animal, night, coyote, shut, tight, door;, thought, safe, beautiful, sad;, sweet, loved, scared, screened, escape, house, birdcage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.