Coyotes Eat Cats and Dogs in Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Still in NY. Hope is fading. She had collar, ID tags with address and phone number.
I think either she:
1) tangled with a red fox
2) was found by someone who really, really wanted an all black cat for Halloween
3) Or was sick in some way not evident, which cats hide well, and wandered off to pass away, which cats will do also.

1 & 3 are most likely--she never went more than 150 feet from the house, and the dogs would have handled an intruder

I am sorry your kitty is missing. I bought a trap online for abt $35. Can be gotten at box stores. 32x12x12.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I am sorry your kitty is missing. I bought a trap online for abt $35. Can be gotten at box stores. 32x12x12.
For an intruder??? I don't think the courts would allow that
Old 10-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Platinum member
Smile They are here to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Neither Bobcats or Coyotees will prey on humans. Therefore, dont let your cats out to roam. Don't leave cats on the lanai unless you have screen protectors and when walking your dogs be very cautious. Keep them on a short leash, carry a whistle. If it's dark out, carry a flashlight and be aware of your surroundings. If you follow through with protecting your pets, you should not have a problem. We are living in central Florida with a wonderful array of wild animals. Respect them and we can all live amicably.

Although they don't prey on humans, there have been occasions when they attack humans, so don't be complacent if you encounter one.

The fact is that no urban area where coyotes have intruded has ever been able to eliminate them. There have been coyotes in the woods adjacent Tampa International Airport for decades. They have recently been videotaped in residential areas of St. Petersburg during daylight hours. The Villages will not be an exception.

Act accordingly, as outlined above, in order to protect your pets.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
If these coyotes or "coy-wolves" are so intelligent, maybe we could domesticate and train them. Plenty of uses I can think of----

Patrol the squares and keep line dancers and seat savers under control
Fetch 8 inch garden gnomes and bring them to deed compliance
"Correct" those that leave dog poop where it doesn't belong
Sniff out inebriated or drug impaired cart drivers
Watch for burglars
Guard kitty from bobcats
Fetch wayward golf balls--would speed up play--they could also drag very slow golfers to the next tee by the seat of their pants
GG could train them to hunt posters negative about TV, Tal could send them after anyone critical of his law project, Tom could have them find those lacking humor, and I could send them to eat those critical of the medical profession
Thanks for the laugh. Coyotes have been spotted here in LaBelle. My neighbor told me one strolled across our yard a few months ago early morning. We have them in Michigan as well. As pet owners it's our responsibility to safe guard them.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioSquared View Post
Thanks for the laugh. Coyotes have been spotted here in LaBelle. My neighbor told me one strolled across our yard a few months ago early morning. We have them in Michigan as well. As pet owners it's our responsibility to safe guard them.
We have them in Central NY as well---I hear them but haven't seen any. We have a few bobcats, but the main predators are foxes.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Ya'll know that howl that coyotes make?? That is me when I log back on and see this thread still going strong.. Come on people , we need to chill on the coyote and concentrate on the killer rats that will overrun The Villages once the coyotes are all gone.. And if you are putting out poison to kill the coyotes , please know you are killing birds, squirrels, owls, etc and hopefully NOT some unsuspecting wandering lost dog or cat.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage

I do not know anybody who would put out poison. Angie apparently does.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Ya'll know that howl that coyotes make?? That is me when I log back on and see this thread still going strong.. Come on people , we need to chill on the coyote and concentrate on the killer rats that will overrun The Villages once the coyotes are all gone.. And if you are putting out poison to kill the coyotes , please know you are killing birds, squirrels, owls, etc and hopefully NOT some unsuspecting wandering lost dog or cat.
I came on to post a quote from someone in another group about the poison. Jaggy is correct! If you kill the coyotes you will then have to worry about the rats! And the Poison will kill the rest of our wildlife.

Hunter Hampton wrote " If you put out poison, to kill coyotes, rats, mice or anything else.... you have also just killed a Bald Eagle, an Owl, a Hawk.... and any other animal, including pets who might see that poisoned animal and eat it. It's called a secondary kill...... "

For crying out loud. What did you think you were doing moving to Florida, next to a national forest??? We have nature here! For most of us, it's why we moved here. Shame on you trying to kill it!

As to the missing pets and the torn lanai.... Yes, I've seen those posts. Yes I believe those pets are missing and something broke through that lanai. We don't know anything else about what happened to those pets or what broke into the lanai.

I know I have heard that people in my hood are putting out tainted meat to kill the coyotes. Do you think the coyotes are the only animal that is eating it? Don't you suppose the cats and dogs as well as everything else would get into it?

These posts are causing more problems than they are helping! Use your head people..... It's the circle of life. The coyotes and snakes eat the rats!

Pardon the pun... but ....

Pick your poison!

And yes... I have two small dogs. I keep them on a short leash.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Yes, but once the coyotes are gone, the kitties on the lanais will be safe and can go hunt the rats
Old 10-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

Indoor cats do require a litter box that has to be cleaned daily. Outdoor cats trespass on neighbors' properties, damage flowerbeds, get into garbage and may kill birds and small animals.*

Re: litter boxes that need to be cleaned daily....not any more....now they have an automatic box called a cat genie...works like a charm!
Closed Thread

Tags
cats, coyotes, coyote, pet, screen, golf, past, disappear, neighborhood, cat, heard, walls, find, bob, suddenly, home, villas, mdlnb, thread, guess, education, excellent, rumor, videos, sounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.