Coyotes Eat Cats and Dogs in Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
It is difficult to believe it is bobcats unless the animals stray or left outside as many do in the north as we were surrounded by bobcats, some living in an empty lot next door. I don't think they left my two cats alone out of courtesy but that they were always in our screened lanai. I do know cats if terrified by thunder will rip the lanai screen to escape.

As far as coyotes go, they indeed are different and like all animals looking to eat as they want to survive. Like a previous poster said, they have grown in numbers rapidly because the new breed has bred with eastern wolves and they have become amazingly intelligent. If the food supply is good, they live harmoniously around the populous neighborhoods.

I urge you to get perspective and use the search on Netflix for the well-done film on coy wolfs. You WILL see them differently and I did have more respect for their amazing capability but also got a sense of calm.

Most of my life I've lived in a forest setting due to my profession and watched the wildlife carefully. IMHO, do not panic but learn, respect and protect your pets. If not, remember the Beavers and Bison.

I wish I had a Netflix link to share as so many seem so upset with this.
I am not sure if any one in Lynnhaven actually saw a bobcat, but I am getting this information second or third hand. One bobcat though in Central Florida might act differently than bobcats in some other region given all the developments in this area. There is an area about a mile from Lynnhaven getting quite a lot of construction.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:19 PM

A year ago we had a feral cat problem so now the coyotes moved in to feed on the cats. I don't see any more feral cats maybe the coyctes will move on.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Has anyone seen any sandhill cranes lately? Oh no.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

If these coyotes or "coy-wolves" are so intelligent, maybe we could domesticate and train them. Plenty of uses I can think of----

Patrol the squares and keep line dancers and seat savers under control
Fetch 8 inch garden gnomes and bring them to deed compliance
"Correct" those that leave dog poop where it doesn't belong
Sniff out inebriated or drug impaired cart drivers
Watch for burglars
Guard kitty from bobcats
Fetch wayward golf balls--would speed up play--they could also drag very slow golfers to the next tee by the seat of their pants
GG could train them to hunt posters negative about TV, Tal could send them after anyone critical of his law project, Tom could have them find those lacking humor, and I could send them to eat those critical of the medical profession
Old 10-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Re: Do we have eastern coyotes?.....I think it is a good possibility. We would have to ask those who saw the few sighted and whether they had the long legs, short ears and long bushy tail unlike the older breeds that tend to avoid urban areas. Their size is much smaller than a wolf but bigger than the western coyote. It's interesting that they will breed with both and are called the smartest animal on the planet.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But exactly the level of danger is not clear in my mind. I know people pretty well after a long time on this earth. Was that original dog on a leash? There are a LOT of rumors, and exaggerations and half truths and downright fibs going around this community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I am not sure if any one in Lynnhaven actually saw a bobcat, but I am getting this information second or third hand.
You're right GG, there are a lot of rumors being shared, and fear mongering going on.
I haven't seen many facts about what is actually happening in The Villages, mostly just gossip from friends of friends.
All I know is that I will continue to always walk our dogs on leashes and be extra vigilant.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1130512]That sounds like lawyers playing games. I have heard talk from the Lynnhaven group that they may collect money for a trapper for the bobcat. Have not had any more information about this. That would be private action though.

Wouldn't it be easier to make sure cat is not left unattended on the lanai?
Old 10-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
As a lifelong Florida resident, I can tell you that we never had as significant problems in Rural Fl as we now have in TV. From reads, the decimation of red wolves made coyotes king. Their population is swelling everywhere in US and Canada, and there is not one urban area with an effective solution, whereas livestock farmers use a multitude of methods with modest success.

Trapping is not that effective bc coyotes are intelligent and adapt quickly and generally avoid traps and certainly do after one of the pack dies that way (info from local trapper.)

The solution is perpetual extermination, and that is out of the question. Developer cannot assume liability by taking any action, otherwise becomes potentially liable for any/all damage by coyotes (info fm claims agent.)
Just goes to show you you can't mess with Mother Nature. Get rid of the wolves, and the coyotes move in. Perpetual extermination? I don't even think that's possible unless it's country-wide. Plus is it even ethical?

The biggest threat in TV to dogs and cats is their owners. If they don't act responsibly but keep letting their cats out to roam, or letting their dogs out unleashed, they're jeopardizing their own pets' safety.

So far there have been two proven coyote attacks in TV. Everybody should be careful. Everybody should keep pets indoors or on leashes, and not out on lanais in the middle of the night.

I don't think citing every single coyote killing in the state of Florida is necessary. It's just going to scare people. Coyotes are here; protect your pets!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Platinum member

Neither Bobcats or Coyotees will prey on humans. Therefore, dont let your cats out to roam. Don't leave cats on the lanai unless you have screen protectors and when walking your dogs be very cautious. Keep them on a short leash, carry a whistle. If it's dark out, carry a flashlight and be aware of your surroundings. If you follow through with protecting your pets, you should not have a problem. We are living in central Florida with a wonderful array of wild animals. Respect them and we can all live amicably.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Platinum member

CFrance, we were typing at the same time and pretty much posted the same thing.........Just protecting our beloved pets is the key. 😊
Old 10-17-2015, 04:32 PM

I am fairly new to the villages, and my cat just ran away...she could be anywhere in the villages because I moved way south and I was way north. I'm sure she's trying to head back to Chatham. If anyone sees a cat~~ a tiger with a white bib and white paws could you please notify me? Thank you so much
Old 10-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia1787 View Post
I am fairly new to the villages, and my cat just ran away...she could be anywhere in the villages because I moved way south and I was way north. I'm sure she's trying to head back to Chatham. If anyone sees a cat~~ a tiger with a white bib and white paws could you please notify me? Thank you so much
It might be a good idea to start a new thread in the All About Pets section. Go to the Home page of TOTV, go down to All About Pets, open that section and click on the green button that says Start New Thread. If you have a picture of your cat, that's good. Or PM me with all the information and I will do the thread for you.

Maybe someone will come on with the name and number of the TV radio station so you can call them. Good luck. I'm sure your cat will come home. Most do.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage

...and yet I still have seen cats roaming outside (not feral ones neither). People are letting their cats out and that shouldn't be happening.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
...and yet I still have seen cats roaming outside (not feral ones neither). People are letting their cats out and that shouldn't be happening.
That's really too bad. Just feeding the wildlife. No wonder the coyotes stick around. Keep your cats in folks. Just plain stupid not to.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:47 PM

We had a sighting last week in Santiago of coyotes in the Preserve, of which, is close to Glen View Golf course. Made sure all neighbors new to keep their dogs on leashes and cats in the house. Shut the cat door so the cats or dog cannot go out into the lanai during the night then you do not need to worry about them missing in the morning
Closed Thread

Tags
cats, coyotes, coyote, pet, screen, golf, past, disappear, neighborhood, cat, heard, walls, find, bob, suddenly, home, villas, mdlnb, thread, guess, education, excellent, rumor, videos, sounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.