Coyotes Eat Cats and Dogs in Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Has anyone seen any sandhill cranes lately? Oh no.
Played Sweetgum yesterday and Cane Garden Hibiscus/Allamanda today and saw several.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Sage

Yes Gracie, there were sandhills today on Destin course....Bonifay.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage
Default Eastern coyotes taking young calves in fl.

UF IFAS Range Cattle REC Special Report, June 2014 Ona Report

Over the last 30 years coyotes have expanded their range into peninsular Florida and more recently the population seems to have increased. Coyotes can be defined as an apex predator (top of the food chain) and play important roles in shaping wildlife populations, both positive and negative. Unfortunately, they are also a species that can interfere with livestock production, and are causing some early calf loss in Florida. This may be in part to the average size of eastern coyotes being 25% larger than western coyotes. In this developing study we want to answer: How often do coyote interact with cattle and cause calf loss? How does coyote behavior change during calving season? What is the occurrence of coyote calf loss across Florida? What has been the coyote population increase?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
UF IFAS Range Cattle REC Special Report, June 2014 Ona Report

Over the last 30 years coyotes have expanded their range into peninsular Florida and more recently the population seems to have increased. Coyotes can be defined as an apex predator (top of the food chain) and play important roles in shaping wildlife populations, both positive and negative. Unfortunately, they are also a species that can interfere with livestock production, and are causing some early calf loss in Florida. This may be in part to the average size of eastern coyotes being 25% larger than western coyotes. In this developing study we want to answer: How often do coyote interact with cattle and cause calf loss? How does coyote behavior change during calving season? What is the occurrence of coyote calf loss across Florida? What has been the coyote population increase?
Kitty... what do you want to have happen?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Kitty... what do you want to have happen?
Locally, to prevent attacks on pets and children by raising awareness.
Long Beach Coyote Attacks On Pets 'Out Of Control' Residents Say
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Sage

Spoke to our vet about this and she said you have more to fear from the large birds swooping down and getting them than you do coyotes.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
Spoke to our vet about this and she said you have more to fear from the large birds swooping down and getting them than you do coyotes.
Got research? Fm UF vet school geneticists and pathologists..
Coyote responsible for cat deaths in central Fla. | Gainesville.com

Fm the news article cited in the above link:

Before an animal was identified as the killer, a Lakeland veterinarian analyzed one of the cats and told police it was likely dismembered by a knife or sharp object. Further testing by a UF animal pathologist refuted that opinion.

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 10-18-2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrance View Post
the biggest threat in tv to dogs and cats is their owners. If they don't act responsibly but keep letting their cats out to roam, or letting their dogs out unleashed, they're jeopardizing their own pets' safety.

So far there have been two proven coyote attacks in tv. Everybody should be careful. Everybody should keep pets indoors or on leashes, and not out on lanais in the middle of the night..

I don't think citing every single coyote killing in the state of florida is necessary. It's just going to scare people. Coyotes are here; protect your pets!

Excellent post! Thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 05:15 AM

don't feed feral cats, please.
don't feed squirrels, please.
If you follow these 2 rules, you will not be feeding coyotes.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoas1@comcast.net View Post
don't feed feral cats, please.
don't feed squirrels, please.
If you follow these 2 rules, you will not be feeding coyotes.
Does the trash out in bags bother you?
Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Neither Bobcats or Coyotees will prey on humans. Therefore, dont let your cats out to roam. Don't leave cats on the lanai unless you have screen protectors and when walking your dogs be very cautious. Keep them on a short leash, carry a whistle. If it's dark out, carry a flashlight and be aware of your surroundings. If you follow through with protecting your pets, you should not have a problem. We are living in central Florida with a wonderful array of wild animals. Respect them and we can all live amicably.
Sending pm re human attack. Rare, but does happen.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Locally, to prevent attacks on pets and children by raising awareness.
Long Beach Coyote Attacks On Pets 'Out Of Control' Residents Say
I like your trying to raise awareness of the coyote problem here in the Villages and in other areas of the country.

I do worry about the large birds while I am at Doggie Doo Run Run but to my knowledge a bird had never taken off with a small dog in the 13 years or so DDRR has been open.

They do get the occasional snakes, voles, moles, gophers, etc.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Sage

My point is that these threads do nothing but scare people.

To my knowledge we only know of one dog that was taken by a coyote, and that dog either didn't have a lead or if it did, it was a retractable lead.

Let me give you something to think about.

These threads are put out here to get people behind killing the coyotes and it's being done with fear!

The Villages and the Ocala National Forest are 10 miles apart from each other. You will have to kill all the coyotes in the forest to rid us of coyotes! We are also aware that we have rats in The Villages. Coyotes kill rats!!!

Because of these threads people are now scared and are putting out poison to kill these animals. When your pet gets out they will eat the poisons that are being put out to kill the other animals.

I've lived here for 4 years... For those four years I've seen both the coyotes and the rats! Foxes, bears, bobcats, gaters, snakes, etc have been spotted in The Villages.

Don't let your cats out at night! Keep your dogs on a short lead

And by all means... Don't let people who live in fear, influence you to live in fear. I've actually seen posts of people carrying guns to kill them if they see them. What could go wrong with that????

We moved here because we LOVE the wild life... All of it. Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My point is that these threads do nothing but scare people.

To my knowledge we only know of one dog that was taken by a coyote, and that dog either didn't have a lead or if it did, it was a retractable lead.

Let me give you something to think about.

These threads are put out here to get people behind killing the coyotes and it's being done with fear!

The Villages and the Ocala National Forest are 10 miles apart from each other. You will have to kill all the coyotes in the forest to rid us of coyotes! We are also aware that we have rats in The Villages. Coyotes kill rats!!!

Because of these threads people are now scared and are putting out poison to kill these animals. When your pet gets out they will eat the poisons that are being put out to kill the other animals.

I've lived here for 4 years... For those four years I've seen both the coyotes and the rats! Foxes, bears, bobcats, gaters, snakes, etc have been spotted in The Villages.

And by all means... Don't let people who live in fear, influence you to live in fear. I've actually seen posts of people carrying guns to kill them if they see them. What could go wrong with that????

We moved here because we LOVE the wild life... All of it. Enjoy!
Well said.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
My point is that these threads do nothing but scare people. To my knowledge we only know of one dog that was taken by a coyote, and that dog either didn't have a lead or if it did, it was a retractable lead.

Let me give you something to think about. These threads are put out here to get people behind killing the coyotes and it's being done with fear! The Villages and the Ocala National Forest are 10 miles apart from each other. You will have to kill all the coyotes in the forest to rid us of coyotes! We are also aware that we have rats in The Villages. Coyotes kill rats!!!

And by all means... Don't let people who live in fear, influence you to live in fear.

I've actually seen posts of people carrying guns to kill them if they see them. What could go wrong with that????
I've snipped the above post to highlight some of the comments I feel are important, just my opinion.
Great post Angie!
Closed Thread

Tags
cats, coyotes, coyote, pet, screen, golf, past, disappear, neighborhood, cat, heard, walls, find, bob, suddenly, home, villas, mdlnb, thread, guess, education, excellent, rumor, videos, sounds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.