Do you make your Pet Food

Old 02-09-2024, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts
Default Do you make your Pet Food

It seems that lives revolve around their pets in TV. So I am guessing many want to insure their pets eat healthy, making sure their wellbeing is at the top of the list.

We have always made our own pet food, taking only 20 minutes weekly to make healthy no additive high quality pet food. Rotating weekly different menus of protein.

That said looking to sub in on occasion something like Farmers Dog, or a product similar. Hopefully there are many who can weigh in on benefits of fresh food, products you are using.

Not looking for any canned, or dry kibble info.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We don't have the storage space to cook for 95 pounds of dog, but our neighbors have a four-year-old Sheltie who competes in agility trials. They have always made her food and will top it with Farmer's Dog, or use that when traveling.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:26 PM
Gold member

The dog food I make contains a rotating protein, carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin and other veggies I may have on hand plus rice from time to time.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:16 PM

My little babies have me as their personal chef, but I can fine chop in some Fresh Pet chicken flavor with their homemade chicken dinner and get away with it. I've even come home late and fed fine chopped Fresh Pet that I zap the refrigerator chill off of. They give me that look of disdain but eat it. I think it would be best to titrate up the mixture until you could pull off the full fake food meal. If I choose to buy it, it's readily available at Walmart and looks like bologna with carrots and rice in it...lol. Once you open it the clock is ticking on freshness, and it's a 6 pound tube steak that's not really cheap to buy if your pup don't like it
Old 02-10-2024, 12:16 AM

I have a small mixed-breed who is 14+ years old. I used to feed her a mix of dry kibble mixed with wet food and a little cooked chicken on top.

About 5 years ago she was having digestive issues that resulted in less appetite, off-colored and loose stool. It didn't seem to relent so, I tried some other foods. Didn't help much. I then began shifting away from dog food and making my own for her which worked much better and I later added a multi-vitamin which also produced positive results. What I figured-out myself (fortunately! Without spending hundreds or thousands on Vets and tests) was that she cannot process fats well anymore. A pancreas issue, I assume.

So, for 5 + years, I've made a mash-up of some combo of carbs - potatoes, white and sweet, pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous, grits - along with cooked veggies plus black or kidney beans and only cooked chicken with no fats added for protein. That's all that will work otherwise, she has problems. Just to make her sniffer happy, I sometimes add a tiny bit of cooked pork or beef on top so she isn't bored out her mind.

Notable observations: She throws up less on this diet and she scooches her bottom on the floor a lot less also. Small dogs are known to get impacted anal glands and that's why they do that. Well, it may be the commercial food that's causing it -- too much junk or fat in it.

Also, let me mention something from a prior dog that had digestive issues for a time. That one did cost me a bit at the vet but, the solution was simple. No dog foods with Red dye #40 in them! That was his issue. Changed his food, problem resolved. FYI, many dog foods have it - read the ingredients.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:50 AM

For the past several years for a variety reasons, we have been cooking our dog’s food in a crockpot. Recipe is 1.5 lbs ground turkey, 162 g brown rice, 36 g frozen peas, 276 g frozen butternut squash, 120 g carrots, 125 g frozen spinach, and 2 cups water. Put it on high for four hours , stirring every hour so things don’t stick. For our Shih Tzu (20 lbs), we feed him 150 g twice a day. We freeze it so that we can take out 4 to 5 days food at a time. It also allows us to put it in a cooler when we take multiple day trips.

I know that I have mixed the English and metric systems. However when we buy meat, it comes in pounds. Also, as cooks we have gone to weighing most major ingredients.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)

Tags
food, pet, healthy, pets, weekly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.