Dog Fever

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Default Dog Fever

Every now and then I so want to adopt a dog. The problem is, though I love all animals, I have always been a cat person. This said I am always visiting places where dogs are brought to be adopted. This past Saturday we were at PETCO and my husband and I were drawn to a 9 month old mix. We are still considering adopting her as she is still available. Any advice? Will my cats disown me? Knowing nothing about dog training will I be able to handle all that needs to be done? I need to make a decision soon one way or another.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Sage

MSNPA,

Have your cats ever been around dogs before? It might not be a bad idea to borrow one from someone and bring them around the cats as a test, just to see the reaction. Its so hard to say what will actually happen because so much depends on the temprement of the dog. If it is an aggressive dog or overly playful it will no doubt scare your cats to death for a period of time. I have found that eventually they do get used to each other but it may take alot of time and patience and you may have to keep your new pup confined to a seperate area for quite a while until the cats can get used to the idea of it being there.

I know how your feeling, Everytime I walk into a pet shop I want to buy a bird so badly( I just love birds) but I dont know how my dogs would react or my husband. I may lose my happy home! LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Dogs and Cats....

We are cat people - that being said you can see a cute doggie in my avatar.

We have three cats - Tommy, Tad and Miss Claudie. We got T & T two days before our wedding in 2002. They were from separate litters, but the pet shop where we purchased them (they were rescue kitties that the shop was helping to find homes for) kept them together for the week we were on our honeymoon. When we brought them home, I honestly do not think they remembered a time without each other. Three years later Miss Claudie sashayed her way into our lives. Bare asked me to post her story here - so you can find it if your search. It took them all awhile to get to like each other - but all was good.

They I got puppy fever! We brought Finley home in February 2008. It took a little while, but, as you can see, he and Tommy do get along. Tad is the shyest cat and still avoids him; Claudie rules the roost and boxes his ears if he gets out of line.

I don't think I would introduce a doggie to a home with elderly cats - it might be too much for them.

Nonie, I love birds, too - but Jim draws the line there.!!!

Last edited by katezbox; 10-06-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh I so love doggies.

But Mikey has told me in NO uncertain terms after our granddog came to stay for awhile, that they,the cats, do not love doggies.

So, Our TWO cats, TWO that are allowed by the rules of TV, THose TWO, whose names are Mikey, Harry and Hershey, they will be our only two pets unless I get further directions.

So I am very big on having friends with pups who don't mind me petting and loving on them.

You hear that Karen, Kathie, Kate, Bare, Rhonda, Beady,Iris, etc?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

OOoh Gracie - You can pet Finley any time you like. And I forgot - I only have one cat -Tomtadclaudie!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNPA View Post
Every now and then I so want to adopt a dog. The problem is, though I love all animals, I have always been a cat person. This said I am always visiting places where dogs are brought to be adopted. This past Saturday we were at PETCO and my husband and I were drawn to a 9 month old mix. We are still considering adopting her as she is still available. Any advice? Will my cats disown me? Knowing nothing about dog training will I be able to handle all that needs to be done? I need to make a decision soon one way or another.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Oh, my favourite topic .. dogs!

MSNPA, yes, definitely, you will be able to handle all that needs to be done. You would make a great dog owner. I would love to see you adopt the rescue puppy. Dogs are such a constant source of love ... I'm sure you would be so happy with your decision.

Dogs are very easy to have as pets as long as you are firm, fair and calm (which I know you are). And above all, you have to be consistent with your dog training. Dogs respect boundaries, they just have to be gently educated to know your rules. For instance, we don't allow the dogs in the room when we're eating meals. Our ten pound dog and our cat are allowed on the bed but our large dog is not.

Pehaps the nine-month old puppy has had previous experience with cats. The adoption people should be able to tell you that, or they could introduce the dog to a couple of cats in their shelter and see the reaction. I wouldn't get an aggressive hyper-active dog around old cats. But most dogs are pretty good around family cats.

You can bet that your cats may be a bit miffed if you introduce a puppy. But they'll adjust after a week or two. I would keep the dog on a leash for a few days when around the cats so the cats don't have to be afraid. And so the dog knows it is unacceptable to chase the cats.

We adopted a two-year old rescue in April. Lolli-Pup who weighs 63 lbs and is very playful. We have a 17 year old Himalayan cat. Lolli obviously had been around cats previously and was very respectful of the cat. At first the old cat wasn't wild about the new dog. Now they get along perfectly. They sleep curled up together in the back seat when we travel.

I think it would be a wonderful thing if you adopted the nine-month old resue and that it would bring you much joy. And I'd be happy to give you my e-mail address if you have any questions or training issues.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Perhaps you can get something with the puppy's scent on it and introduce it to the cats before you bring the puppy home. I think that the introduction is critical since cat's have very looooooooong memories and do not forgive easily. A calm, controlled introduction using a leash is a good idea. Caesar
Millan (the dog whisperer) has a new book out about raising a puppy and it shoud be worth it's weight in gold. Be prepared for a fun adventure full of unconditional love.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.