Dog Food Recommendation?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
I tried most of the commercial brands mentioned, she won't go near them.

The only thing she will eat is Sojos and Iams Lamb & Rice. I really like the Sojos, but you have to think ahead.

Does anyone know Gail with the doodle dog Becca? I heard she makes dog food.
Sojos is my next foray. Trying to work out proper amounts for the conversion. Do you give any nutritional suoolements?
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Sojos is my next foray. Trying to work out proper amounts for the conversion. Do you give any nutritional suoolements?
I use the grain free formula (no meat) and add my own meat or fish, usually whatever I'm making that night. I try to keep some beef cubes on hand just in case. Generally, I don't cook the meat. I don't add supplements, but I do give a little greek yoghurt.

If you order from the sojos website they ship for free. The customer service people really know what they are talking about.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Gold member

I would not use IAMS. They had a recall and my dog was one that got the samonella. I am now making my own dog food after spending over $500 in vet bills. He is doing just fine and loves it.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM

Scoob's loves"Hare Today", Evangers, & Primal. All are available at "Paws For A Moment".
Old 10-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarius 6 View Post
I feed my dogs only raw{ Hare Today }
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didiwinbob View Post
Scoob's loves"Hare Today", Evangers, & Primal. All are available at "Paws For A Moment".
I just went on the "Hare Today" website thinking it was something I might like to try. There were pictures of different sizes of guinea pigs, and also pictures of newly hatched chicks 1 to 3 days old ... it said 25 per bag .... is that what you feed your dogs?

Sojos looks like a food I might be able to handle. I think you add water and "reconstitute" it? This has been a very interesting thread. Obviously foods in the pet industry have changed a lot and I need to educate myself.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

Yes, with Sojos you just add water. You can get it with the meat already in it (I've never tried that one). I've found the easiest way is to set it up the night before, if you don't you have to wait about 45 minutes before you can feed it.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Default dogfood

Our 2 little dogs love Pet Fresh. It is kept in a fridge
And can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target and Winn Dixie.

WCS
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I just went on the "Hare Today" website thinking it was something I might like to try. There were pictures of different sizes of guinea pigs, and also pictures of newly hatched chicks 1 to 3 days old ... it said 25 per bag .... is that what you feed your dogs?

Sojos looks like a food I might be able to handle. I think you add water and "reconstitute" it? This has been a very interesting thread. Obviously foods in the pet industry have changed a lot and I need to educate myself.
Bare, you might have been on the wrong web site. try here: https://www.hare-today.com/faq.php

interesting reading, esp. the part about being careful what is in "ground" raw food.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Bare, you might have been on the wrong web site. try here: [url]https://www.hare-today.com/faq.
If you look under "Whole Prey Pet Foods" on the Hare Today website, you will see the bags of baby chicks and four sizes of guinea pigs. I'm not criticizing others' choice of pet food, it just makes me queasy to think about it. I think my dogs are stuck with Orijen Six Fish formula!
Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 AM

Whole Earth Pet Supply on Bella Cruz and 441 is where I get Arcana for our 14 year old Golden Retriever. I ended up switching 2 years ago after another recall and have been very happy with it.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 PM

When we moved to TV, I fed our dog a kibble based diet. We have since gotten a 2nd dog and they both eat and are thriving on RAW FOOD DIETS. They are currently in love with raw beef tripe and chicken. They get 3 and 4 ounces daily over two feedings. Sounds like starvation but they are both healthy, happy, have amazingly white teeth and fantastic temperaments.
Bandit and Tahlula love the dog parks here and at 3 yrs and 1 year of age, they are amazing.
We get the food pattys at Paws For A Moment and they are so helpful and informative there. No kibble as NO GRAIN is good for them.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Sage

Recommend you do just like me...LOL. I cook for my dog. She's a boxer with inbred nubs for teeth. She was 20 lbs underweight when adopted due to Pedigree dry food for big dogs. basically hard corn.
I have a back up of some canned foods with high protein and a bag of too expensive food, but she so loves getting some meat, veggies and carbs made from scratch. it's not hard and is less expensive to make. PM if you want tips.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Sage

me again...Emma ate it all tonight. some ground beef bought for a buck a pound, oatmeal and potatoes on the cheap, left over cabbage and Brussels sprouts. who knew she would suck up brussels sprouts like they were a delicacy.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
When we moved to TV, I fed our dog a kibble based diet. We have since gotten a 2nd dog and they both eat and are thriving on RAW FOOD DIETS. They are currently in love with raw beef tripe and chicken. They get 3 and 4 ounces daily over two feedings. Sounds like starvation but they are both healthy, happy, have amazingly white teeth and fantastic temperaments.
Bandit and Tahlula love the dog parks here and at 3 yrs and 1 year of age, they are amazing. We get the food pattys at Paws For A Moment and they are so helpful and informative there. No kibble as NO GRAIN is good for them.
That certainly is a glowing recommendation! I think I'll visit PAWS and start experimenting with Raw Food, hopefully chicken or fish.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
me again...Emma ate it all tonight. some ground beef bought for a buck a pound, oatmeal and potatoes on the cheap, left over cabbage and Brussels sprouts. who knew she would suck up brussels sprouts like they were a delicacy.
Dr. Wessner told me that with the veggies you should break them down so that they mimic the stomach contents of prey. In the beginning I used the food processer but got tired of cleaning it. Now I use a little hand grater on the veggies.

Mine loves baked sweet potato, broccoli and salad. I give carrots for treats.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.