Dog Food Recommendation?

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We've been feeding our dog Dick van Pattens Natural Balance (or whatever his is called) for five years. A few weeks ago I noticed that his hair was dull and coarse feeling, even though we supplement with salmon oil. I didn't know why. Used to be smooth & shiny.

The lady at Paws for a Moment gave me a lot of information on feeding raw and/or good-quality kibble. Since Crosby's going to the sitter's for two weeks, I decided to go with the kibble till after we get back. Easier on the sitter. The Paws lady has several different brands of food in her store, but she likes Logic the best. She said for some reason she noticed a change in her dogs' coats immediately with Logic. And guess what--so did we! I did buy some frozen tripe nuggets that I'm throwing on top of the Logic kibbles.

She also informed me that Natural Balance changed its ingredients sourcing and is now using lesser-quality food, some of which is from China. I guess that explains our dog's coat turning to steel wool.

When we get back from our trip, I'm switching to an all-raw diet using ground beef plus meats from her store, which comes from grass-fed animals in PA.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Location: Pinellas, from St James from Kennebunk, Me from Bingham, Me

I recommend blue, wet and the grain free dry.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Sage

I like variety and home cooking. just bought chicken thighs for .99 a lb. planning to mix with red potatoes. this week, my girl ate burger with Brussels sprouts and oatmeal, and then a basically ham sammich: ham, mayo, raw egg, leftover bread, fresh tomatoes.
I have backup expensive canned and dry food that Emma eats sparingly, for crazy busy days.

shiny coat, healthy, sleek...kitty is a bit dry coated, so we're making sure the fish oil is in the bowl. he loves meow mix, but he'd kill me for real fish.
If I don't post for a few days, somebody send the paramedics...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Gold member

Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula. A feed store in Kentucky recommended it for our dog while traveling last year and we have stuck with it after reading reviews.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Pro-Plan Salmon and Rice or Lamb and Rice - We mix it though with cooked hamburger and chicken and also put some oat bran in it as well. Vet says our dogs are thriving and blood work always excellant.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 AM

Doyle the Dog, beautiful Black Lab lived a great life for 14 1/2 years. Never sick, just grew old. Along with the plentiful amounts of unconditional love she received every day, she only ate Purina One topped off with a heaping table spoon of yogurt. Never changed her diet. She was healthfully thin her entire long happy life.
She was my first dog. She's been gone about two years now, but still miss her every time I breath.
She also enjoyed a treat every day.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 AM

Orajen is the best hands down. You can get it at Paws for a Moment in Buffalo Ridge near Little Bits Cafe. It is biologically tailored for dogs and doesn't have the grains and "meat by-products" that usually make dogs sick. It's not cheap, that's for sure. But my two Boston Terriers have been on it since they were taken off puppy food and they are happy, healthy doggies.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.