Animal Lovers - Help Needed

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2014, 05:29 AM
Default Animal Lovers - Help Needed - Update

Good morning, everyone! Please help me before I pull my hair out! I live on the beautiful historic side next door to a house occupied by three adults and a dog. The dog is tied up outside on the side of the house facing my direction and is tied up by a rope/leash which might be 5 ft. long. He is tied up out there all most 24/7 and barks continuously!!! If I move around in my house, the monster senses it and barks! Going out of the door is getting to be out of the question.

The people don't give a rat's behind so please don't suggest that route. Community Watch says to call animal control. Animal control doesn't actually exist in Lady Lake - you get the police dept. who have been called but haven't shown up after two calls.

I'm hoping that an animal activist type here on TOTV can direct me to some one or agency who might care that this dog is being abused and is driving me crazy!

Thanks in advance for your help!

p.s. This little dog is vicious and the owners have bragged to me that he has only bitten two people! I mention this because I have considered being his pal but he is unapproachable.

Last edited by CarolSells; 01-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

First off, it appears that the dog's behavior is a result of cruel owners. A little dog, tied up all the time with no freedom to be a dog, would make any dog bored and stressed enough to bark and growl. Maybe even unbalanced. I feel TERRIBLE for it, and angry at the owners.

And I feel terrible for you too. It would be awful to live next door. I so hope a knowledgeable person will read your post and know just how to handle it. Surely someone does. TOTV is a great place to start.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Thanks, Parker. Just your kind reply makes it better all ready!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
Thanks, Parker. Just your kind reply makes it better all ready!
Carol, how horrible for you and the dog. My heart goes out to both of you. I don't know much about the historic side, but do you have a home owners association like we do on the south side? When I had an annoyance here, I went to them, and they worked with me and the Sumter police to work out the problem and its been resolved.

I do hope that someone else on the forum can give you better information during the day, but that's the best I can do now. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 AM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

Carol, that stinks. Some questions/thoughts for you. And it really riles me when the structure of this 'friendliest' community plays the 'I don't do windows' game and sloughs it off to another agency.

See if there's a Lake County Animal control, not city level, county level.

You may have to get a lawyer to read covenants and restrictions.To lessen that cost it would seem really sensible for you and some of your like minded neighbors to work as one. Maybe, if your right to the enjoyment of your property is being violated, see if you can bring a suit for a money judgement. Again, you'd have to talk with an admitted attorney (I am not one.)

Who owns the property? You go to the Lake County clerk's records and make copies of the deed. That's a time saver ($$) with regard to the lawyer I would guess.

Who are these people? Are they the owners? Tenants? If tenants, maybe owner contact would help.

A situation like this happened to good friends of mine back in Long Island several years ago. They got a lawyer and went after the owner and matters were resolved happily. The tenants chose to live elsewhere.

Carol, you are not without some good arrows in your quiver. Hope my thoughts helped.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

LAKE COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL...approved the non thethering law..call lake co animal control...

Lake County approves dog-tethering ban
April 12, 2012|
By Eloísa Ruano González, Orlando Sentinel

TAVARES — The vote went to the dogs. County commissioners this week unanimously approved an ordinance that bans dog tethering unless owners are out in the yard with their pets. It also prohibits chaining up dogs during thunderstorms and extreme temperatures.

Commissioners initially considered a complete ban on "single-point" tethering, such as tying an animal to a pole or tree, after receiving complaints dogs were being left outside for days under the sweltering sun. Animal-rights advocates argued tethering was not only inhumane but it also caused dogs to be more aggressive.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Sage

Dogs that are chained are 3 times more likely to bite not to mention it is cruel. There is probably truth to the owner's bragging that the dog has bitten twice before.
There are several communities in FL that have anti chaining laws and they are in densely populated areas (like TV) mainly in southern FL. Unfortunately those laws aren't here but should be. While it isn't a short term fix, you might go to your state rep and ask that a bill be written. There should be little resistance.

Last edited by shcisamax; 01-21-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
Sage

Last edited by shcisamax; 01-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM

The historical side is in Lake county..it should apply to this dog
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Sage

PERFECTO! Good job Babbs445. Just the way I like to start my day. Problem poof!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
PERFECTO! Good job Babbs445. Just the way I like to start my day. Problem poof!
Assuming Carole can get someone willing to enforce this law. Seems like police are turning a deaf ear.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:31 AM

me too and as an animal lover if people can't give the love and affection to their the 4 leggers need..then they should not have animals...I would contact the licking co animal control and tell them what has transpired and find out if this anti tethering law applies...that the police are not enforcing the no tether law and the dog is a nuisance..or rather the owner is...lol
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM

I did not think people were allowed to tether dogs in The Villages. I would call the neighborhood association and ask them. It is cruel and they either need to get the dog a new home or take it inside.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Assuming Carole can get someone willing to enforce this law. Seems like police are turning a deaf ear.
They just need to be reminded there IS a law and that it needs to be enforced.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Platinum member

what about the Humane Society of Lake County
this is from their website:

Our Humane Society operates a no-kill shelter, and we are the only animal welfare agency in Lake County that investigates cruelty, abandoned and/or abused animals.

call them and report the dog is tied out all that time...that is cruelty. Some counties have even passed laws prohibiting dogs being tied out.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.