Dog parks..ERRR

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2023, 08:07 AM

98+% of the dogs are pretty good - I have actually been surprised there aren’t occasionally more dust-ups. If the dog won’t behave or continually aggressive towards 1 or any number of dogs - they need to vacate until such time they’ve been trained or chilled out. Had 1 dog that would go after ours every time she entered…. Would hide under the bench - I just refuse to put my dog in that situation anymore.

Our dog has gotten a couple of bouts of giardia as well - not sure where we’re getting that from which is part of the problem. I do like watching the dogs run & play - and 10 minutes there for our dog is better than 10 times around the block. That said, we may have to moderate our visits a bit or perhaps try others. Haven’t seen in the winter yet as we just got the dog in March and it was April/May before shots had all been had.

Respectfully, DB
Old 08-31-2023, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh my, with all the rental homes in TV why did you rent that home, please don’t say you liked the location when there’s lots of very nice locations in TV. Sorry to hear about your pet!
Old 08-31-2023, 08:37 AM
Default Doggie Do Run Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi9877 View Post
Not a fan of dog parks, but we are renting a home with no fence and I have a semi big dog, that needs to get energy out.. I have been to the majority of them, and I prefer one... With that said, we have had LUCK with no aggressive dogs till a few weeks ago.. If your dog has aggressive tendencies DO NOT bring them to a dog park...The first time my dog went to greet other dogs coming at the gate and this dog who was in the park with her came running over and started to attack her. The owner was quick and got her.. She said "oh its the gate" 2 weeks later I was sitting on the bench and my dog was next to me her dog came over and attacked her again. (She said its the bench) again she leased him up and left.. I should have known better when I saw that dog in the park but I gave him and the owner the benefit of the doubt.. Last night I was brushing my dog and noticed scabs around the spot the dog went after her I had checked at the park I didn't see any blood and she has been acting fine so I never thought twice until I saw the scabs. Needless to say if I see this lady with this dog in the park I will Not go in.. But People Please do not bring aggressive dogs into a dog park!!! Sorry I had to vent!
I would recommend Doggie Do Run Run located on CR 101 north of 466. Doggie Do Run Run is a private membership based facility. The park is approximately 10 acres in size with 3 separate fenced enclosures.

Management are on site and any aggressive dogs / owners are removed from the site.

As an added bonus - your mark your dogs poop with a small flag (similar to those used to mark water lines etc) and the park staff pick up and dispose of the poop.

I have been going there for 9 years and have been very satisfied.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:02 AM

Geez what dog park are you going to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letue View Post
Unfortunately there are many aggressive dogs that are taken to the dog parks here - especially during the high season when we get many visitors. I won't enter unless I know the other dogs. My dog has been attacked twice and that was enough for me to change my visit times to avoid some dogs. You were lucky that the owner was on top of the situation since many that are not. Be very careful when visiting.....
Old 08-31-2023, 09:02 AM
Default report any aggressive dog

there is a phone # on the gate to report any aggressive dog. They are banned. Take a photo of the dog and owner if you can. If you do not report it will continue to happen.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:33 AM

Any dog can be an aggressive dog to a different dog. I was a mailman for 32 years and the damm little dogs gave me more problems than the bigger dogs! I call them ankle biters for good reason.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterstang View Post
Any dog can be an aggressive dog to a different dog. I was a mailman for 32 years and the damm little dogs gave me more problems than the bigger dogs! I call them ankle biters for good reason.
The rather new movie Strays has some very funny jokes about mailmen and dogs. It is quite a crude movie though. Lots of bathroom stall like humor. And that at a Junior HS.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Take Em

Take your dogs to the dog park, I don’t want them in my yard. I can’t stand the rude people who think it’s OK for their dog to go in any yard. Kill your own grass, leave mine alone.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 08-31-2023, 02:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I take my dog to the park every single day. He's like an alarm clock.

Dog greetings sometimes look vicious, but you have to give them a chance to work things out themselves. A real attack is more than just a little growling and fake nips, though. They go for the neck and won't relent until you stop it.

My dog has been attacked at the dog park twice in two years, and both times the owners were obviously too young to be property owners.

In one case, they admitted they weren't even staying in the Villages. My dog was hiding behind me while their vicious animal attempted to get by me for a third attack, so I kicked him. Not hard, just enough to make the point. You would have thought I'd murdered their child. The woman started screaming "You kicked my dog!" and "Why are you people so mean?". The man ran up to me like he was going to start a fight, but then just started yelling that he was going to call a cop. I said "You can't bring a viscous dog here. I'm here every day. If lived here I would recognize you.". I got my own phone out and started to dial. He backed down and they left, whining the whole way out about how I'd "kicked their dog" and how "mean all you old people are" (I cleaned up the language).

I think the vicious dog issues would go away if everyone had to swipe their card to get through the gate.
Swiping a card will not fix the problem.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Take your dogs to the dog park, I don’t want them in my yard. I can’t stand the rude people who think it’s OK for their dog to go in any yard. Kill your own grass, leave mine alone.
I have never had a dog damage my grass. And I’ve owned many, all females. Never saw damage from other dogs using my yard either. Normal dog urine does not hurt grass. Only if they have a problem that causes a high acidity level. Guess the sick ones like your yard.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Not a fan of dog parks, but we are renting a home with no fence and I have a semi big dog, that needs to get energy out.. I have been to the majority of them, and I prefer one... With that said, we have had LUCK with no aggressive dogs till a few weeks ago.. If your dog has aggressive tendencies DO NOT bring them to a dog park...The first time my dog went to greet other dogs coming at the gate and this dog who was in the park with her came running over and started to attack her. The owner was quick and got her.. She said "oh its the gate" 2 weeks later I was sitting on the bench and my dog was next to me her dog came over and attacked her again. (She said its the bench) again she leased him up and left.. I should have known better when I saw that dog in the park but I gave him and the owner the benefit of the doubt.. Last night I was brushing my dog and noticed scabs around the spot the dog went after her I had checked at the park I didn't see any blood and she has been acting fine so I never thought twice until I saw the scabs. Needless to say if I see this lady with this dog in the park I will Not go in.. But People Please do not bring aggressive dogs into a dog park!!! Sorry I had to vent!
I don't know what dog parks in TV you folks are going to, but I'm at a dog park in TV, every single day, from Oct - June. There's hardly ever a serious problem and when that arises, it's usually quickly brought under control. I've probably one seen it a couple of times and the dog owners were as much to blame as the dog.

Like everything else in the pet world, it's usually the owners who need to do better.
Old 08-31-2023, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
I have never had a dog damage my grass. And I’ve owned many, all females. Never saw damage from other dogs using my yard either. Normal dog urine does not hurt grass. Only if they have a problem that causes a high acidity level. Guess the sick ones like your yard.
No problem but remember my lawn is not your dog’s litter box so please keep it off!
Old 08-31-2023, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I don't know what dog parks in TV you folks are going to, but I'm at a dog park in TV, every single day, from Oct - June. There's hardly ever a serious problem and when that arises, it's usually quickly brought under control. I've probably one seen it a couple of times and the dog owners were as much to blame as the dog.

Like everything else in the pet world, it's usually the owners who need to do better.
It is almost always the owner. There was a sweet pit bull mix at Doggie Doo Run Run. She was gentle until she started playing rough with a new Boxer. The owners would chat about their lives and ignore their dogs to the point that us other dog owners would avoid going near them as they got very protective of their spot at Doggie Doo Run Run.

They eventually had to ban both the Boxer and the pit bull mix.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Aggressive dogs,

Quote:
I would think you would be within your rights to mace an aggressive dog attacking your dog. If it was me I would mace first, apologize later.
Old 08-31-2023, 09:31 PM
Default Don't know what dog parks your talking about

We have been taking our 2 Goldens to most all of the TV dog parks for 5 years many times a week and never had a problem. There have been so many great owners and dogs that we have met. They are there for fun and exercise . There have always been a number of dogs that met up with good buddies and spend the entire time playing with each other. The smiles on both the owners and the dogs helps to get through the rest of the day.

The positive experiences for the dogs and owners at TV dog parks far outweigh the negative and I hope the Developer continues to build new dog parks and maintain the existing ones.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, park, dogs, aggressive, parks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.