Dog parks..ERRR

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2023, 11:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Big Dogs Scare You? Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Big dogs scare me. So, I'm glad that I don't live anywhere near a dog park..
Big dogs shouldn't scare you. I've always had big guys and they are far more calm and obedient than the aggressive little yappers . . . You know what I mean -- the ankle biters!

I never knew that living near a dog park was a problem. Hmmmm.
Living near a Walmart is probably a lot worse!
Old 08-31-2023, 11:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Try the dog park on Huey Street just west of Powell Road. It's very shaded, has benches and water is available.
Old 09-01-2023, 05:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONS999 View Post
We have been taking our 2 Goldens to most all of the TV dog parks for 5 years many times a week and never had a problem. There have been so many great owners and dogs that we have met. They are there for fun and exercise . There have always been a number of dogs that met up with good buddies and spend the entire time playing with each other. The smiles on both the owners and the dogs helps to get through the rest of the day.

The positive experiences for the dogs and owners at TV dog parks far outweigh the negative and I hope the Developer continues to build new dog parks and maintain the existing ones.
That's been my experience. My dog thinks he's a Golden, looks more like a Golden than most Goldens, but he's a mix. He loves being at the Dog Parks. I know there's someone who abuts Atlas that has 2 Goldens and they're always a pleasure when the come over to the park.

There is someone with 2 "white goldens" (apparently some European breed) and those dogs can be a problem and I won't go anywhere near them. As is typical, the owner is the problem.

We're in NH for a couple of months and every morning at 8:45, my dog is looking at me, like ... "hey dude, are we going to that park thing today?" He'll be thrilled to get back to TV, the Dog Parks and all his friends.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:15 AM

Where is the list of "yards for rent" for dogs?
I have a very large fenced yard.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:41 AM

A lot of folks (and dogs) in Villages are new to dog parks and theor dynamics. Gates are a tough space for confrontation, but "bench" is BS. If you dog is hurt /persistenly harrassed by an aggressive dog the other dog's owner is prob not going to figure out a solution - tho some will take the walk of shame. Otherwise, you can move to another park, work out a schedule with the aggressive dog's owner to avoid contact, (in Villages) file a complaint with the rec center responsible for the park or dial 911.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilG View Post
A lot of folks (and dogs) in Villages are new to dog parks and theor dynamics. Gates are a tough space for confrontation, but "bench" is BS. If you dog is hurt /persistenly harrassed by an aggressive dog the other dog's owner is prob not going to figure out a solution - tho some will take the walk of shame. Otherwise, you can move to another park, work out a schedule with the aggressive dog's owner to avoid contact, (in Villages) file a complaint with the rec center responsible for the park or dial 911.
The gates are a problem at Doggie Doo Run Run too on occasion. It seems often a pooch will be territorial at the various gates. They have a lot of gates at Doggie Doo Run Run.

It is very well run but does have the occasional scuffles between dogs as well as their owners.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The gates are a problem at Doggie Doo Run Run too on occasion. It seems often a pooch will be territorial at the various gates. They have a lot of gates at Doggie Doo Run Run.

It is very well run but does have the occasional scuffles between dogs as well as their owners.
It seems like a huge % of dog owners, don't seem to give whit or have any appreciation for dog/pack dynamics.

Without exception, at every dog park I've been at, 1000's of times ... if other dogs see a new dog coming through the gate, they all run over to "greet" the new dog. A new dog is invading their space and they have to bark in acknowledgement and do some sniffing.

It's not much different, than everyone at a party, turning around to see who the new arrival is, as they come through the door. Unfortunately, dogs aren't capable of saying: "Hi, thanks for stopping by". Dogs bark and sniff.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:32 AM
Default Everyone Feels Their Dog/Child Can Do No Wrong Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
I take my dog to the park every single day. He's like an alarm clock.

Dog greetings sometimes look vicious, but you have to give them a chance to work things out themselves. A real attack is more than just a little growling and fake nips, though. They go for the neck and won't relent until you stop it.

My dog has been attacked at the dog park twice in two years, and both times the owners were obviously too young to be property owners.

In one case, they admitted they weren't even staying in the Villages. My dog was hiding behind me while their vicious animal attempted to get by me for a third attack, so I kicked him. Not hard, just enough to make the point. You would have thought I'd murdered their child. The woman started screaming "You kicked my dog!" and "Why are you people so mean?". The man ran up to me like he was going to start a fight, but then just started yelling that he was going to call a cop. I said "You can't bring a viscous dog here. I'm here every day. If lived here I would recognize you.". I got my own phone out and started to dial. He backed down and they left, whining the whole way out about how I'd "kicked their dog" and how "mean all you old people are" (I cleaned up the language).

I think the vicious dog issues would go away if everyone had to swipe their card to get through the gate.

In a perfect world, people would be considerate and use common sense and take responsibility for their actions. We don't live in one. Even our pools are used by those that shouldn't. Perhaps, walking through the neighborhood or driving elsewhere is a good idea.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:08 PM

A lot of poop-oners don't like "Dog Parks"; the reason the Post Office mailbox areas have been taken over with mutts...
Old 09-01-2023, 12:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Scary Thought

Will there ever be a time where mace is replaced by the new law backed “I’m always packing and it’s loaded” people in dog parks. Maybe it will just be a Florida thing?

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 09-01-2023, 11:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Take your dogs to the dog park, I don’t want them in my yard. I can’t stand the rude people who think it’s OK for their dog to go in any yard. Kill your own grass, leave mine alone.
Sounds like a great idea, a kind idea, even a civil idea, but surely you've noticed that is (usually) not practiced here. Every morning, every night, dog owners will walk 2, 3, even 4 blocks from their OWN grass to keep their dog from "depositing" at their house. It will never stop. Don't hate dogs, have had quite a few, but never met owners like so many (not all of course) who live here. Never lived in such a neighborhood anywhere that people take their dogs to other people's lawns to "go"... was shocked at first... LOL...not any more ! And then the folks who do pick it up in little see thru bags, and you think "how respectful", until you see them toss it behind the pretty landscape entrance to a villa area, or at a rec center's entrance landscaping, and then my hope for the human race goes right down the sewer ! Some deposit it in the villages waste reciprocals on hot days so they don't have to live with it at home. People ! They come in all varieties ! Kind to clueless... LOL !
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, park, dogs, aggressive, parks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.