A Dog in Poinciana Needs Help

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default A Dog in Poinciana Needs Help

That's not too far from here. Read:

In POINCIANA, FL~URGENT!! Chained dog IN GARAGE!!!

PLEASE CONTACT jga@catniptrails.com

The Villages Florida

There is a chained dog in Poinciana that the owner does not want. She’s consented to giving the dog away, but I can’t find any takers for him, so he sits chained – INSIDE her garage. In this FL heat, he will not last long – as she shuts the garage door while she’s away (but still doesn’t take him off-chain). His chain is only long enough for him to turn around and lay down. She rarely gives him food/water. They are going through a divorce and neither wants the dog. Why they even got him I’ll never know.

Apollo is a young Pure Bred Pit. He’s VERY sweet and lives with a Chihuahua puppy that he adores. They play very well together on the rare occasion they let them be together. They also have 6 children ranging from 2-13 that Apollo loves. He’s very well mannered and has a gentle temperament. However, he will chase & kill kitties. I run primarily a cat rescue, so taking him in here is not an option – I have no way to contain him or keep my cats safe. I cannot help this boy other than passing his info to everyone I can think of – hoping to find him some help.

My friend is this family’s neighbor and she’s been feeding & walking Apollo. However, the home she’s renting went into foreclosure and she has to move. She has 5 cats or she would take him herself. Apollo got off his chain Friday and the family was fined by Animal Control. They are eager to “get rid” of him and have actually told my friend they would be taking him for “a ride” if she couldn’t find him a home by Tuesday. They have no care or conscience or patience.

As of Friday, they’ve put him on a prong/noose collar on the chain. I pray he doesn’t go bonkers inside that garage – he will surely hurt himself. The Chi puppy is being surrendered on Tuesday to another rescue (he currently lives 24x7 inside a crate).

Can you please let me know if you can help Apollo? If you know someone who can help? He lives in the Polk County jurisdiction, so if Animal Control picks him up they will not even try to adopt him.

Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know either way if you can help Apollo – or know someone who can.

Joan Alexander
Catnip Trails, Inc.
www.catniptrails.com
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Won't it be hard to find a home for a purebred pit? Is that the same as a pitbull? Even our sweet Nonie who loves all animals says that that breed is a danger at times.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Gold member

Pitbulls are beautiful dogs, was terrified of them until I started working at the Sanctuary in Ocklawaha. Typically, pitbulls are very good dogs, it's the owners who abuse them that make them not so nice, as with any animal. Such a sad, sad story, will pray for this dog.

Last edited by Debfrommaine; 04-27-2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Pitbulls are beautiful dogs, was terrified of them until I started working at the Sanctuary in Ocklawaha. Typically, pitbulls are very good dogs, it's the owners who abuse them that make them not so nice, as with any animal. Such a sad, sad story, will pray for this dog.

So true, Deb, and its treatment like this that makes them dangerous. I never will understand how any person can be so cruel as to treat a poor, helpless animal in this manner. They should be cited and fined big time for animal cruelty. I wish there was a way I could help him out even to get him to a no kill shelter or a rescue group of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions? K-9, please PM me if you think of something I can do to help. Thank you.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.