dogs in designer homes

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Sage

I do not have a dog but have friends in The Villages with dogs in designer homes. No problem at all. Take your dog out for walks in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Good exercise for both parties. Naturally, pick up after your dog and dispose at home.

We do dog-sit for a couple of dogs sometimes and have no problem with them. Regular walks and the dog is content to be in our glassed-in Florida room looking at geckoes through the windows.

It is not a good environment here to have your dog outside. Lots of biting insects including fire ants and chiggers. The alligators, coyotes, and snakes are not going to go after dogs - usually.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Sage

Actually my neighbor did put in gardens in their birdcage and a high wall about their pool and lanaii area and it works beautifully to keep the dogs happy inside and they don't see people on the course so they don't bark at them.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

A home on Odessa Circle in Tamarind Grove has the larger boxer I've ever seen, at least 150 pounds and also very tall. I use to never ride my bike down there whenever I saw him in the yard, and then I learned they had invisible fence. To me people are inconsiderate to allow a dog that size in their front yard, as someone already stated it can be very scary.

Plus the fact any other animal or dog can come into the yard with invisible fence, especially if you're not watching your animal and attack your dog. We have coyotes, foxes and alligators in TV, all of which could be harmful to your pet.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I do not have a dog but have friends in The Villages with dogs in designer homes. No problem at all. Take your dog out for walks in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Good exercise for both parties. Naturally, pick up after your dog and dispose at home.

We do dog-sit for a couple of dogs sometimes and have no problem with them. Regular walks and the dog is content to be in our glassed-in Florida room looking at geckoes through the windows.

It is not a good environment here to have your dog outside. Lots of biting insects including fire ants and chiggers. The alligators, coyotes, and snakes are not going to go after dogs - usually.
Fully agree. We live in a Designer with an Aussie. Did anyone mention the dog parks, especially Doggie Do Run Run? The one over on Bonita is a joke as far as larger dogs are concerned. And a sad joke at that.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Hi Tvers,

I am about to buy a designer home in TV and was wondering how you contain your dogs when you live in a home where you cannot build a fence. Do you use the invisible fencing system, and does that work for you?

Thanks so much.

Veronica
We live in a designer and had an invisible fence installed by Dog Watch. It works great. We have a large German shepherd mix and a small shih-tzu and they quickly learned the boundries. I asked on this forum before we had the system installed and it was recommended by member Barefoot. She explained how it all worked and we're very pleased with the results. If you type in Dog Watch in the search box you'll see posts about invisible fences but I'll give you a bit of info now.
The fence isn't really an electric fence like you see around cattle pastures. It doesn't really shock the dogs. After we had the fence installed I strapped the collars around my arm and walked through the area. It isn't painful at all. It tingles and it will get their attention but it doesn't hurt them. With any invisible fence system training is essential, both for you and your dogs. The Dog Watch training is excellent. The trainer comes out and works with you and the dogs as often as necessary so they know the boundries before power is even applied. Our dogs learned at different rates but that was ok. The trainer, Evan, returned as often as needed. As the dogs approach the boundry they hear a tone. They're trained to stop when they hear the sound. Only if they proceed farther do they get the tingle.
An invisible fence is not a substitute for proper supervision. Even though our dogs know their boundries they are never allowed out alone. There are other dogs as well as some pretty nasty predators out there so you want to make sure your dogs are safe. The invisible fence will keep them in but it won't keep other animals out.
Good luck.

Last edited by bluedog103; 08-01-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Sage

I think the Boxer on Odessa is a Great Dane. And yes, he is huge.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Sage

So we came here from a small fenced yard and if you have anything other than a CYV it is an issue with the kids. We were lucky to have a pump station around the corner from our home that we can walk them to in the am for their potty needs. Afternoon breaks are in the yard with a cautious eye. My Aussie is very obedient and wouldn't leave the property, but my Standard Poodle is a Poodle and does what he thinks is best for him. So we are adjusting and so far a good walk in the am works and potty breaks in the afternoon are working. The Poodle has only taken off a few times, but when he realizes no one really cares he immediately comes home. We are fortunate that it is summer and not a lot of traffic or neighbors around so the training can continue without much of an issue.
YV
Old 08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Default My Covenant says "lease" when outdoors

We're moving to a designer and bringing two small house dogs (yorkie and a pom) and it will be a lease. Respecting neighbors is paramount as I plan for mine to do their "business" in my yard. . . not someone else's. We don't do walks here and won't in TV. It's out, do your business, and back inside. We'll run them at the dog parks. Hot pavement and dog paw pads don't mix! JMHO!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Wow! Sure glad we are out of the pet business, especially after reading some of the posts regarding dogs. Before somebody gets "bent out of shape" and thinks we don't like dogs----NOT TRUE. For many years we had a dog----when the last one died at 151/2 (10 years ago) we decided no more for us. Like stop smoking----if you can get by that first year then you are pretty much home free. A fenced in backyard worked the best for us. IMHO there are more dogs in TV than anyplace we ever lived. I don't know where they find time but most people take good care of their dogs. Its sort of like the grand children, we can enjoy them and then they go home to their mother and father! With our busy schedules, we like that.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Gold member

We started out in a designer home - acquired our doggie after 3 months and stayed another 9. Decided a CYV is ideal and moved from the designer after 13 months with no regrets. It's easier for all involved and the doggie is very happy to be able to run and be a dog. That said, we when we were in the designer home we walked to the nearby lake, and took her to Doo Run Run which she absolutely loved and continues to this day.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

well you can get your walking in when you have dogs
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM

You might search on "what are the rules about dogs". Lots of folks are very sensitive about dogs doing their business in their yards during walks, even if the owner picks up the solid stuff. You will find quite a few "Keep your dog off the grass" signs. I have a dog, have always picked up after it when in the Villages or traveling. Apparently the grass down in TV must be very sensitive to urine as several folks talked about brown spots caused by it. So walk for the exercise, but keep the "stuff" in your own yard to keep your neighbors happy. My dog has about 3 acres to roam out of the 40 we live on here in IL so it is a different experience in TV for her too. Its either inside or on a leash.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We had invisible fencing at our home in Geogria. Our Westie did great with it for four years until a bunny ran across the yard and into a neighbors yard. He couldn't resist and ran after the bunny. After that he would literally back up and get a running start on the barrier. He learned that it only hurt for a moment and the "reward" was worth the pain. Once they are out, they must cross the barrier again to get home. I agree with other posters that you must also worry about who/what can get into your yard. We built a fence after that as there was no containing him any longer. Here in the villages have a CYV.
This has happened to other people I know. Also you have to know your breed. I have sighthounds and borzoi and greyhounds are not going to respect an electric fence. They are fast enough (45mph in the case of the greyhound) that they are through it before the shock stops them but wont come back home through it once they have recovered from whatever they were originally chasing. Adopted greyhound contracts, to the best of my knowledge, even forbid adoption with these fences. For that reason we bought a CYV even though we wanted a larger Designer home and a larger garage. All the 2 car garage CYV we were shown had short rear fences that didn't work for our dogs. We made the decision based on what would work to make each and every day easier for us. We DO walk our dogs, but there have been stretches of bad weather or times we have both been exhausted or sick when we were very happy to have that fenced yard and glad we didn't have to walk dogs. It's all about what works for each individual and it's not the first decision we've made based on being dog parents. Our dogs are very well trained (all are certified CGC and Registered Therapy Dogs) but what makes their life easier makes our life easier.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahweh1975 View Post
Thanks! It looks like we'll be looking for something with a fence, then. We've liked what we've seen of the Courtyard Villa's and will probably go that route.

We can't wait to visit to see it all for ourselves!
you could always create your own little 'doggie park' using thick bushes/hedges maybe leading off the birdcage, if you have one yet.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

[/QUOTE]The invisible fence should work if the dog is trained correctly. However, that will not keep other dogs or animals from coming into the yard, which could cause a problem. There are several cottage/ranch homes in Hemingway on Nash Loop that back to a patio vill neighborhood and have been enclosed in vinyl fence. The Villages had two for sale recently, but I think both have subsequently been sold - both were Amarillo/Sun Kissed. You might watch the ads or ask your realtor to watch for something like that. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Here is the listing for a ranch on Nash Loop in Hemingway with a vinyl fence. It is pending but there are several in that neighborhood, and another could come on the market anytime.

Properties of The Villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.