dogs in designer homes

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
We are dog lovers ... Maybe the next step is to shoot them? My enjoyment of my remaining years of my life is much more important than having dogs barking.
I'm sure your statement about shooting dogs is meant to be a joke. But let me tell you:
1. Comment Deleted
2. It's not funny to talk about shooting dogs.

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-07-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
We are dog lovers and our last friend died about 9 years ago and we decided that The villages is not a 'good' place for dogs. We have a neighbor that has 2 dogs and invisible fencing around their yard. I have never seen the dogs cross the line but here is the problem - every time a person walking, a cart or truck drives by the house (corner lot) the dogs both start barking and chasing the person or vehicle. Most of the surrounding neighbors are upset with the noise. Talk to the neighbor and get the response "They are dogs! They bark!" It isn't too bad this time of year as most of have the house shut up and air running but for about 8 months of the year our windows are open and hear the barking. Is that fair to us? About ready to call animal control or someone. I think Sumter county has laws that says they have to be tied or on a leash. Not sure if invisible fencing meets that criteria! Maybe the next step is to shoot them? My enjoyment of my remaining years of my life is much more important than having dogs barking.

WE DO NOT LIVE IN THE VILLAGES YET........but it's the same all over.
We've had our share of pets in our day and our share of people calling re our Irish Setters barking..........plus our other dogs "running" the neighborhood. Those days are long gone and we are now petless.

However, when our daughter and hubby would bring down the two Tibetan Mastiffs (now down to one older Tibetan Mastiff) we'd get calls from all our neighbors galore.

Our homes ARE NOT close together........but barking is barking no matter what state or neighborhood.

The funny thing is we would passively listen to all the surrounding barking pooches.........and not say anything, but then when these two HUGE animals would visit and had to be put outdoors every now and then........all they did was BARK....it's a trait of theirs, supposedly bred a long time ago to protect the "temples"????? We got calls from above us and below us and next to us........."please stop those dogs from barking, my husband has cancer or whatever and needs his rest".....I'd apologize and pass the phone to my son in law.........who finally took the hint and stopped traveling with these dogs..........the three grandchildren took up enough space in their vehicles.

But, it's is a difficult problem to solve. Again,have been on both sides of the issue.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM

We are dog lovers! The part about shooting was a joke, but what can we do? We have lived here in TV for 15 years. We never allowed our dog to endlessly bark at everything that goes by the house, nor did we take him to the local postal station to mess up the grass around a public area that belongs to everyone. He used our yard. I walked him in the yard till he did his thing - then we went for walks.

Houses close together and small yards do not make the best environment for a couple of dogs that are allowed to run, chase and bark at everything and everyone.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum member

Here's the thing with dogs in TV. Contrary to the impression you might get from reading TOTV, it's a great place for dogs. You see them downtown, riding in golf carts, eating in restaurants and having a great time.

The people who don't like them, the control freaks, the chronic complainers-NOT SO MUCH.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM

We will be staying in the Villages in Oct (thinking of purchase) and we would like to know where small dogs are welcome. Outside restraurants, events, dog parks, etc. We don't like to break rules so it's good to know before you visit.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllaytn View Post
We will be staying in the Villages in Oct (thinking of purchase) and we would like to know where small dogs are welcome. Outside restraurants, events, dog parks, etc. We don't like to break rules so it's good to know before you visit.
Dogs are allowed in the town squares, any business that is owned by TV that doesn't serve food (sales office, furniture store, golf cart store, etc...).

They are allowed at restaurants that have outdoor seating (I believe this is Fl law).

There are dog parks.

Businesses not owned by TV are on a case by case basis, I've had shops tell me they're welcome while I was window-shopping.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Sage

found this current law

Pet dogs are generally prohibited at public food service establishments. However, your local government may enact an ordinance permitting dogs in designated outdoor seating areas of public food service establishments. The ordinance must include specific requirements established by state law, including permit fees and sanitation and safety conditions that must be met.

A restaurant must have a permit from the local government to allow dogs in the designated outdoor seating area(s) before your pet dog is allowed at a restaurant. Contact your local government to find out if an ordinance has been enacted and if the restaurant has the required permit.

Pet dogs are still prohibited inside public food service establishments, including traveling through the establishment.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

I do know some people use a birdcage with astro turf inside, in a portion. The urine just goes through and they pick up the rest, but the dogs are happy with this arrangement.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
found this current law

Pet dogs are generally prohibited at public food service establishments. However, your local government may enact an ordinance permitting dogs in designated outdoor seating areas of public food service establishments. The ordinance must include specific requirements established by state law, including permit fees and sanitation and safety conditions that must be met.

A restaurant must have a permit from the local government to allow dogs in the designated outdoor seating area(s) before your pet dog is allowed at a restaurant. Contact your local government to find out if an ordinance has been enacted and if the restaurant has the required permit.

Pet dogs are still prohibited inside public food service establishments, including traveling through the establishment.
On the rare occassion I have seen a dog outside at a restaurant they have been more than well behaved and you wouldn't know they are there. Don't know if it was "legal" or not, but I for one don't care as long as they are well behaved and sitting quietly under the table.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
found this current law

Will you please provide a link to this "law", it's in direct conflict with the statute as I understand it.

ANYWAY... the reality is that any restaurant I have actually been to (with the exception of a dumpy McDonalds in Jacksonville that had a motley group of street urchin looking children) not only have allowed my dogs, but have been nice enough to give them water and a throw-away dish.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Jimbo, I've taken my little maltese to dozens of restaurants all over Florida for the past 12 years and have not had a problem. Of course we're seated on the outside patio. So much for the law.

On topic, you will find that there are many small dogs in TV. It's a lot easier to clean up after them as opposed to the big dogs. My Duffy hated the grass in Florida so he avoided it and used pp pads.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
WE DO NOT LIVE IN THE VILLAGES YET........but it's the same all over.
We've had our share of pets in our day and our share of people calling re our Irish Setters barking..........plus our other dogs "running" the neighborhood. Those days are long gone and we are now petless.

However, when our daughter and hubby would bring down the two Tibetan Mastiffs (now down to one older Tibetan Mastiff) we'd get calls from all our neighbors galore.

Our homes ARE NOT close together........but barking is barking no matter what state or neighborhood.

The funny thing is we would passively listen to all the surrounding barking pooches.........and not say anything, but then when these two HUGE animals would visit and had to be put outdoors every now and then........all they did was BARK....it's a trait of theirs, supposedly bred a long time ago to protect the "temples"????? We got calls from above us and below us and next to us........."please stop those dogs from barking, my husband has cancer or whatever and needs his rest".....I'd apologize and pass the phone to my son in law.........who finally took the hint and stopped traveling with these dogs..........the three grandchildren took up enough space in their vehicles.

But, it's is a difficult problem to solve. Again,have been on both sides of the issue.
I hear what you are saying about barking. We currently have a VERY aged Great Pyrenees and for those who don't know the breed they are a massive dog that barks at nothing ALL the time. I have had Pyrs for most of my adult life and been able to deal with the noise and not bothering neighbors too much (I ask them to tell me- so far, so good"). As much as I love this breed it breaks my heart to say goodby to a breed I love forever, but I know I have to. When we lose this old man, which will be very soon, he will be my last. I won't move to TV wiyh this breed. It wouldn't be fair to neighbors, me or the dog. I will stick with my other dogs which are much quieter.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Great Pyrenees are magnificent dogs. I wasn't aware that they were such big talkers. I do feel for you Lovsthosbigdogs and applaud your thoughtfulness. What are the breeds of your other dogs? If I ever decide to get another dog I think I will get a retired Greyhound and take him/her to Doggy Do Run but as it is now, my husband isn't interested in another dog. Of course I will walk the dog in my own back yard since I live in a designer but I do have Villa envy.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Great Pyrenees are magnificent dogs. I wasn't aware that they were such big talkers. I do feel for you Lovsthosbigdogs and applaud your thoughtfulness. What are the breeds of your other dogs? If I ever decide to get another dog I think I will get a retired Greyhound and take him/her to Doggy Do Run but as it is now, my husband isn't interested in another dog. Of course I will walk the dog in my own back yard since I live in a designer but I do have Villa envy.
duffysmom, I have 2 borzoi and a greyhound also. Both are generally quiet breeds. The greyhhounds I have had are by far the easiest dogs I have ever had. Sweet, quiet, clean, loving and easy to live with. I foster greys and work with a greyhound adoption group locally and have seen many happy new families made. Greyhound make wonderful additions to a family and it would be greyt if you considered one when you are ready. There is even a grey group in TV. Borzoi are not just hairy bigger greyhounds. They are wonderful also, but different in some ways too. I love both breeds but greys are easier.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.