Dogs and Skunks

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Sage

Bare, I agree with yoda, this is a tad embarrassing, but I found that the best thing that works for skunkiness is Messengil powder ,well you know . It was recommended by a vet a long time ago and IT WORKS!!!!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.

Last edited by nONIE; 08-23-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Use a good feminine hygiene produce. (Douche). We tried tomato juice and as a result, we will never drink tomato juice again. Our vet / groomer in New England turned us on to the cure. It was not perfect but it was the best that we found.

Yoda
After a few hours of trying to de-scent Heidi, our mixed Lab/Shep/Malamute who ran head on into the blast from a skunk, with everything we could find (tomato juice, ginger ale, beer, iced tea, after shave, cologne and lots of soap and water, we were advised by a relative the following day whose dog had a similar encounter, to keep a few Massingail Douche packages available for future use. Can't say we ever needed them because I think our dog learned a valuable lesson and never got close to another skunk for the rest of her life.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fumar's remedy.....

I find that if you mix one part water to 5 parts Nitro Glycerin and that send him out to play frisbee ........
when he's done there will be your dog, and over there will be your dog and a little over here , and a ............

allways glad to help, Fumar .........

ps might try a little Fels Naptha soap and make a paste.....I don't mean on the dog , I mean on the skunk ..Mom always used it on us and it helped........
Haven't seen the skunk in years...........fu

Last edited by The Great Fumar; 08-23-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
I find that if you mix one part water to 5 parts Nitro Glycerin and that send him out to play frisbee ........
when he's done there will be your dog, and over there will be your dog and a little over here , and a ............
Fumar, you are always so very helpful! Life just wouldn't be complete without your tender words of advice.

Nonie, Hancle and Yoda can't all be wrong ... Messengil douche, really?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Taltarzac
Default Here's a link about removing the skunk smell from dogs.

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-ri...ll-on-dogs.htm

Hope there are not too many skunks wandering around the Villages. Have only smelled them here rarely.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Default People claim it works well

I know there is a product from Shure Pets that people claim works well. Not sure if anyone down there sells the products.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.