Dogs in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Default Dogs in the Villages

We are considering a move to the Villages. We have 2 dogs (about 17 lbs each) we now have a fenced in yard. I know there are some homes that do have fenced in property but if we can't find one how do others deal with their dogs. Do you walk them always? Do you walk them on your property if they need to go out in the middle of the night? Can they be leash free at the dog park so they can run around?
Old 07-16-2022, 09:09 PM

In sum you will find the Villages to be very dog friendly. If you do not find a home with a fenced in backyard, many Villagers choose to get an invisible fence installed for their pets. You will often see neighbors taking their dogs out late at night onto their own property or up and down the block for that last bathroom break. For example, last night my wife and I went out for a walk at 730pm and we bumped into 3 sets of neighbors out with their dogs around 8pm. The dog parks are the only area in the Villages where a dog should be off leash. For a full list of details see this website here: Dog Parks.

Cheers,

Dylan
Old 07-16-2022, 09:26 PM

The Villages have 7 dog parks where you can let your dogs run free and socialize. There are plenty of green spaces and trails where you can walk your dogs to do their business. Newer neighborhoods include veranda homes and courtyard villas with small fenced in yards.
Most homes don’t have fenced in yards and you may have a walk to a green space so you’ll have to train your dogs. The Villages is mostly very dog friendly, with an occasional neighbor going ballistic if your dog goes on their lawn.
Bottom lines, my dogs love it here! They love the dog parks, riding in the golf cart and especially me being retired.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Doggie Doo Run Run is a 10 acre private dog park about 1 mile north of Southern Trace Shopping Center. It is up CR 101. It is in Oxford.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:07 AM

Op,
You should have no issues here - unless of course you cant control your pets, dont/wont clean up after them or expect your neighbors to listen to them bark relentlessly while your out.
If you are the previously mentioned type owner (not saying that you are..), you will have endless issues in very short order, up to and including TV policy violations.

We own 1 med. size older lab. Probably every other house in our village, has at least 1 dog.
You'd never know it however, if you didn't see one of us out walking them near sunset. Everyone is very courteous, mindful that not everyone else are "dog people" and tries their best to avoid any issues, be it negative dog/dog or dog/person interaction.

No one here ties up outside ( I think thats a big no-no) but our dog spends a lot of time in our screened lanai w/ open door access into the house, because it does get really hot for them outdoors.
She likes to watch the world go by, but comes in when shes too hot or wants a treat.
As stated, the courtyard villas have a 'private' closed backyard, plenty of space for your dogs to have their own space, but thousands of people like us, do just fine without such.
Most owners simply leash walk them as needed, but you'll find most are early morning or evening when the pavement (paws) & temps are cooler. In our area, there are at least 2 houses with little 'dog water' stations placed on the curb for passing dog walkers.
The many dog parks are really nice, very large - but can get crowded at certain times & on weekends.
Best of luck.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We are considering a move to the Villages. We have 2 dogs (about 17 lbs each) we now have a fenced in yard. I know there are some homes that do have fenced in property but if we can't find one how do others deal with their dogs. Do you walk them always? Do you walk them on your property if they need to go out in the middle of the night? Can they be leash free at the dog park so they can run around?
Not a dog guy but I do recall a story a couple of months back where some guy let his dogs run free at some place adjacent to water (dog park? Can't recall). Dogs love water: one of them ran to the shore and became lunch for a gator.

Something to be aware of, at any rate.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

A lot of the houses in the south have fences with a side yard gate.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:44 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
The Villages have NO fenced in yards, but court yard villas that have walled back yards. very nice... but if you can't find one you like, a regular home is fine BUT leash law at all times even on your property. you can walk, on leash, dog parks, and at night to walk for potty before bed is LEASH. KEEP IN MIND we have PREDITORS here, coyotes, hawkes, gators, and yes if unleashed they could possibly get your fur baby. but leash law always if you love your baby... but Court yard villa... leash is not required because your back yard is surrounded by wall.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,093 Times in 2,750 Posts

In general the Villages is a dog friendly place, but be careful at the dog parks. Many owners go there to socialize and don’t watch or have any control over their poorly behaved pets, letting them terrorize other dogs. Also, in Florida (especially if you use dog parks), get your dog preventative medication for hookworm. It’s not a common intestinal parasite up north, but it’s very common in Florida. It’s spread through feces and easily transmitted by a dog stepping in it and then licking its paws.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:33 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Invisible Fence Proponent

My home backs up to the water. While my dog is not considered to be a "water dog" when we first got him he chased a bird (duck/ egret/ pelican) into the water and I nearly had a heart attack. he quickly came out. We had an invisible fence installed shortly after, and it only took one training session for him to learn his boundaries. No more walking on a leash in the middle of the night. Outdoor spots light up the yard to make sure any native creature is ignoring their boundary. Best money you will spend for your dog's safety and your peace of mind. (This is not a paid commercial). Even if you are not directly around water, your neighbors will appreciate how your well behaved dogs stay in their yard.
Old 07-17-2022, 01:52 PM

just let them poop on your lawn not my keep poop at home
Old 07-17-2022, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

and lots of people have ring and house cameras to see who is on the lawn.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:27 PM

i dont like dogs keep them on your grass
Old 07-17-2022, 04:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,615 Times in 946 Posts

Villages is VERY dog friendly. Your dogs will be fine. As mentioned earlier, screened lanai’s are nice for them. Walking them is easy. Many walk when they are getting mail.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:30 PM

Thank you for all your responses. I appreciate it.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, property, fenced, walk, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.