electric dog fence

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Default electric dog fence

Does anyone use them? Since TV does not allow fences around our property, I was wondering if those dog fences work, are safe, and doesn't cause any discomfort to the dogs. Does it really contain the dogs ?
Let me know your thoughts and experience with these fences.
thank you
Old 03-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

They work fine. If your dog decides to ignore the warning beep he will receive a mild shock and he won’t ignore it again. Whoever installs it should show you how to train the dod so he doesn’t go through the fence
Old 03-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

We have an 8 year old female lab. She has been exposed to an invisible fence her entire life. When we moved to The Villages 3+ years ago we had a dog watch fence installed. After learning the boundaries she had not left our yard until last week. She followed my wife down the driveway and into the street. That was a surprise to both of us! Guess it was time to change the battery in her collar! Our fence emits a tone before the shock if the dog gets to close to the boundary. When she hears the tone she will back off.

With proper training, I think invisible fences are an acceptable solution to not having a physical fence. If you install one, be sure to let your lawn service know if they plan to aerate your yard!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I would not recommend an electronic fence. I have seen dogs run through and then afraid to come back because they will be shocked again. Honestly, I think training your dog to stay on his/her property is the correct method. I do NOT believe in shocking dogs.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I would not recommend an electronic fence. I have seen dogs run through and then afraid to come back because they will be shocked again. Honestly, I think training your dog to stay on his/her property is the correct method. I do NOT believe in shocking dogs.
I have used invisible fences for years. They are a safe and effective method to contain your pet. Dogs are pretty smart. It only takes one or two correction for them to get the idea.

Like I wrote above, most modern fences emit a sound before applying a shock. The dogs learn they need to back up. If they are shocked, it is not so strong the dog is harmed, but it does get thier attention. Think of it like getting a strong shock of static electricity.

Just becasue the pet owner has an invisible fence, they should still supervise their dog’s activity. It is just not necessary to follow them around the yard on a lead.

There are two major vendors in The Villages. The Original Invisible Fence Company and Dog Watch. We used Invisible Fence in Indiana and have the Dog Watch fence in The Villages. Talk to both.

Last edited by Mleeja; 03-01-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

The so called shock is no threat to human or dog.
We have used them for years. Some dogs actually teach themselves. The training involves putting up flags where the wire is. The objective is that the dog, sees the flags, hears the sound and yes then there is a shock.....little more than a tickle actually. For most dogs all it takes is once. The actually associate with the flags more than the sound. Eventually learning there is no surprise with the sound.

There are some breeds that will walk right through the barrier in and back....for example a rottweiler. My daughter had one that would go through like it was not there.

Most dogs train in a very, very short time.

Keep in mind that having the invisible fence should not be to let one's dog stay out and about untended.
Cayotes and bobcats do not have a collar on!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM

We have labs and have used Invisable Fence since 1995 Both here and in NY Love it. Call Don 352 275 6663
Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Sage

I think electric fences are fine. A mild shock or two teaches the dog boundaries very quickly..without ever harming the dog.

Having said that, if you do not leave your dog unattended when in your yard...which you should never do...good training can accomplish the same thing as the ‘fence’. It takes commitment and absolutely consistency, but it is easier than you might imagine...and very satisfying and positive for the relationship between pet and owner(s).
Old 03-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Our dog jumped over the area (height) that is covered by an electronic fence.
If you have a small dog, be aware that if left alone (without you there), she could be snatched by a predator.
Those fences are not fool proof and I would not trust them 100%.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think electric fences are fine. A mild shock or two teaches the dog boundaries very quickly..without ever harming the dog.

Having said that, if you do not leave your dog unattended when in your yard...which you should never do...good training can accomplish the same thing as the ‘fence’. It takes commitment and absolutely consistency, but it is easier than you might imagine...and very satisfying and positive for the relationship between pet and owner(s).
Very true. Despite having the invisible fence system we never let our dog out unattended mainly because predators can still come in to our yard. One of the things to remember is to keep track of when the battery in the collar receiver was changed.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. I will take everything into consideration. Much appreciation.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,930 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Our dog jumped over the area (height) that is covered by an electronic fence.
If you have a small dog, be aware that if left alone (without you there), she could be snatched by a predator.
Those fences are not fool proof and I would not trust them 100%.
I knew of two small dogs in Michigan who wanted their freedom so badly they chose to accept the shock in exchange for getting out of the yard. There are some very clever dogs out there.

It worked fine with our first golden. But the fence installer, when showing me how to train him, took a flag and whapped it on his leash so hard he would never go near the flags again. I was horrified (this is NOT how the training manual wants you to train the dog!)

I think if you're wanting to be out with the dog throwing a ball, etc., it would be fun to have the fence. But I wouldn't let the dog outside alone--coyotes, snakes, alligators... did I mention snakes?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Having an invisible fence means you're going to break the leash law by allowing your dog to roam without a leash. Probaby containing your dog to the backyard would maybe work. We use to take walks around Odessa Circle where we live, but at one home they have a huge Great Dane that looks just like this photo and must weigh 200 pounds, and he stands in their front yard and watches everyone. It's very scary, even though it appears they have invisible fence, they have no signs warning anyone and usually no one is in the yard with the dog.

The Villages Florida

The Villages also has roaming cayotes, there has been many reports of small dogs being snatch by a coyote. The invisible fence may keep your dog in, but won't keep out unwanted wildlife, gators included.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Having an invisible fence means you're going to break the leash law by allowing your dog to roam without a leash. Probaby containing your dog to the backyard would maybe work. We use to take walks around Odessa Circle where we live, but at one home they have a huge Great Dane that looks just like this photo and must weigh 200 pounds, and he stands in their front yard and watches everyone. It's very scary, even though it appears they have invisible fence, they have no signs warning anyone and usually no one is in the yard with the dog.

The Villages Florida

The Villages also has roaming cayotes, there has been many reports of small dogs being snatch by a coyote. The invisible fence may keep your dog in, but won't keep out unwanted wildlife, gators included.
You are incorrect about violating the leash law by having a dog on your own property.

County Code 4-10 - All dogs must be confined on the owner's property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owner's property.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Having an invisible fence means you're going to break the leash law by allowing your dog to roam without a leash...
As photo pointed out...wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
fences, dogs, dog, discomfort, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.