Experiences with wireless fence in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Sage

Barefoot, I'm not going to buy it unless I know it's going to work in this type of construction...guess I'm not going to get an answer here.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Kitty, I'm having some of the same issues here with my boxer Ginger. I would like to give her some free range of our small yard but with the lease law here it doesn't look possible without having an invisible fence. My question is....does your dog have to be on a leash if you have this type of fence?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM

I love the Invisible Fence! Scoob had Invisable Fence in MI so he only needed to go once around the perimeter and we left the flages up for a week. He need one adjustment. He doesn't need a leash while he has the Invis. Fence collar on him. I am out there when he is out.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Gold member

Don't forget the coyote sitings. An owl tried to carry away a neighbors small dog.
Got him 10 feet off the ground before dropping him.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM

We were uncertain what to do with our two golden retriever pupies when we moved into TV, but we did buy the Dogwatch system. The cable is installed below ground in a figure eight, sort of dividing the house. That way, when we are on the Lanai, the dogs are kind of visible to us, and we don't lose track of them out front. Similarly, if we open the front door and they get out, we don't have to chase around the house and get them back in.

As others have said, the dogs went through a learning process - first flags, then sound, then electrical. We never saw nor have we seen them get shocked - but it probably happened because they never test the boundary. They lay on the side of the house and watch people go up and down the street, and in the back of the house greeting golfers who occasionally visit. We couldn't be more pleased and the dogs clearly love the freedom they have gained.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We did not have the system you are describing but did have invisible fencing at our previous home. It worked great for four years. One day our Westie saw a rabbit in a yard across the street and made the dash. After that day he he knew it only hurt for a second so the fence never stopped him again. As others have mentioned, it may keep your dog in but won't keep other critters out. It is helpful but NOT foolproof. You may PM me if you want further info.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Amazon.com: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300: Pet Supplies
this is an example...an in house transmitter sends a signal..there is a new product that can be configured not in a circle but in a rectangle to fit your property. Looks like nobody is using this from what I am reading.
the dog learns to hear a beep from the collar when nearing the boundary and hopefully needs one time getting the current to learn...I'm told it is not a "shock" like an electric fence, but more like static energy.
Custom Shape Wireless Dog Fence | Electric Dog Fence | Havahart Wireless
Kitty, it seems that this is a product that you install yourself. There is a return policy of only 30 days. It's fairly expensive. If you get it, you could try it out immediately and see if it will work with your home construction. I would have a long conversation with them about your home before ordering, though, because I get the feeling from what they said (they will put you through some troubleshooting before authorizing return) it might not be too easy to return. Just my feeling, though.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.