Experiences with wireless fence in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Sage
Default Experiences with wireless fence in TV?

Have you tried it, does it work, what kind of home structure? I hear that maybe concrete has too much rebar to work. any experiences at all with wireless would help....
thanks, I doubt this would work....
Kitty, who can't stand the idea of an electric current to my Emma anyway but she might prefer to be outside and watch passing pooches while they bark at her highness.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Send a message via AIM to Baileysmom

I assume you are talking about Invisible Fence Kitty and we have it and love it. It does flip people out sometime when they see our 100lb dog in the front yard and he will not run into the street after them, funny to watch. Some dogs can get through it but our original dog a chocolate lab and Bailey who is a cross between a choc. lab and german shorthair pointer never has. The collar the dog wears sounds a tone prior to the wire and never gets close to getting shocked. We highly recommend it, good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 AM
Sage

FYI, there is NO rebar in the concrete walks and driveways. They use fibercrete to eliminate steel.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Sage

I was told that concrete homes may have rebar in the structure that interferes with the signal...wondering if anybody with a poured concrete home has an invisible fence?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:50 AM
Sage

You are correct. The walls do have reinforcing steel, but not the outside flatwork. I was under the impression that the invisible fence was hard wired to the control panel, and the signal was transmitted to a collar when the critter got close to the perimeter where the buried wire is.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Sage

you are right if it is a buried line, but I want to get a wireless one. the signal transmits with no buried line....totally electronic.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
you are right if it is a buried line, but I want to get a wireless one. the signal transmits with no buried line....totally electronic.
Kitty, the only wireless transmitter I know of is a correction collar with a hand held remote but I don't believe they are designed for containment. As my wife stated earlier we use invisible fence brand. Despite the name and make up of the system they are not a cruel device. They are also half the price of a real fence which of course you can't install in TV. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
We used Dogwatch in Ocala to install our invisible fence. 352-351-3642. They assist with the pre training which is the most important part of the whole process. I've never heard of a wireless, totally electronic fence. I suggest that you call Chris at Dogwatch. He is very knowledgeable. I'm sure he would be able to discuss with you all available fencing options.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Sage

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Wireless-Containment-System-PIF-300/dp/B0001ZWZ8O]Amazon.com: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300: Pet Supplies[/ame]
this is an example...an in house transmitter sends a signal..there is a new product that can be configured not in a circle but in a rectangle to fit your property. Looks like nobody is using this from what I am reading.
the dog learns to hear a beep from the collar when nearing the boundary and hopefully needs one time getting the current to learn...I'm told it is not a "shock" like an electric fence, but more like static energy.
http://www.havahartwireless.com/stor...og-fence/5144g

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 10-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
We used Dogwatch in Ocala to install our invisible fence. 352-351-3642. They assist with the pre training which is the most important part of the whole process. I've never heard of a wireless, totally electronic fence. I suggest that you call Chris at Dogwatch. He is very knowledgeable. I'm sure he would be able to discuss with you all available fencing options.
thanks Barefoot, I had Chris over and that didn't work out. My property is built out so has not got enough edge for the margin required for in ground wires. Displaying her own knowledge, Emma didn't like him much. LOL.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Gold member
Default fence

All I ever had to realize about the wireless fences is that it may keep your dog in, but it does not keep other dogs out. And yes, I see dogs off leash all the time. Also, as someone who had an 8 foot alligator in their front yard and we are nowhere near water, I would never even consider this type of fencing. I know I am in the minority, but that alliagator adventure really shook me up.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

As a responsible dog owner I never allow our dog outside without my supervision just because we have the invisible fence. There is always the possibility of a predator anywhere.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
As a responsible dog owner I never allow our dog outside without my supervision just because we have the invisible fence. There is always the possibility of a predator anywhere.
I absolutely agree. Everyone I know with an invisible fence supervises their dogs 100% of the time. I've seen foxes and coyotes in TV in back of our house ... I would never, ever leave our dogs unsupervised.

Quote:
... an in house transmitter sends a signal..there is a new product that can be configured not in a circle but in a rectangle to fit your property. Looks like nobody is using this from what I am reading.
If the new product isn't an invisible fence, where is it and what is it? Sorry, the link didn't display for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Sage

Custom Shape Wireless Dog Fence | Electric Dog Fence | Havahart Wireless
Here's the link to the exact one I'm considering.....
Invisible fence is a brand name. and most people think of wires in the ground instead of wireless..
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Custom Shape Wireless Dog Fence | Electric Dog Fence | Havahart Wireless
Here's the link to the exact one I'm considering.....
Invisible fence is a brand name. and most people think of wires in the ground instead of wireless..
Please let us know if you and Emma like the wireless fence.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.