fenced in yard, 2 dogs. Looking for home in the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Question fenced in yard, 2 dogs. Looking for home in the Villages.

Hello, we are finally ready to make the jump and move to The Villages. Our family also includes 2 dogs and we absolutely have to buy a house with a fenced in yard and some grass to play on. Its difficult when searching for homes, there isn't alway a designated search box for that. I see the Courtyard Villas all seem to have fenced yards but there aren't many available. Are there any other series that I might want to look at that include a fenced yard?
Old 07-04-2023, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizkey88 View Post
Hello, we are finally ready to make the jump and move to The Villages. Our family also includes 2 dogs and we absolutely have to buy a house with a fenced in yard and some grass to play on. Its difficult when searching for homes, there isn't alway a designated search box for that. I see the Courtyard Villas all seem to have fenced yards but there aren't many available. Are there any other series that I might want to look at that include a fenced yard?
Courtyard villas, verandas, and cottage villas all have fenced in yards. They seem to sell quickly so you will have to check often for availability. Be certain to check both the Villages real estate website as well as MLS through companies like trulia, zillow etc. Outside real estate agents can only sell preowned homes and are unable to sell any properties on the Villages website. The Villages website offers newly constructed and preowned homes.

Be certain to check BOTH listings and have a real estate agent from each source. Yes, you should work with two real estate agents not just one. Unless, you know for certain you want a newly constructed home. If that is your focus, the villages website is the only source for new homes.
Old 07-04-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Courtyard villas, verandas, and cottage villas all have fenced in yards. They seem to sell quickly so you will have to check often for availability. Be certain to check both the Villages real estate website as well as MLS through companies like trulia, zillow etc. Outside real estate agents can only sell preowned homes and are unable to sell any properties on the Villages website. The Villages website offers newly constructed and preowned homes.

Be certain to check BOTH listings and have a real estate agent from each source. Yes, you should work with two real estate agents not just one. Unless, you know for certain you want a newly constructed home. If that is your focus, the villages website is the only source for new homes.
Thank you!! That is VERY helpful!
Old 07-04-2023, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

OP, you do not want to leave your dogs outside unattended, we do have wildlife that may attack the dogs, especially if they are small ones. Also, be careful of the access to "your" back yard there are versions of the houses where the neighbor has full access to the side gate (you cannot lock it), so if your dogs are out, they might accidently get released.
There have been several threads on this issue in the past, with lots of additional information, please try the search function and be sure to ask questions on any house you are looking at.
Old 07-04-2023, 03:41 PM

Well, I was typing when VillageTinker responded.

Just an FYI, I hope you don't plan to just let them out in the yard unsupervised. Many critters here that love pets - bobcats, bears & gators, etc.. And don't think an open aluminum or PVC rail fence will keep anything out. Saw a photo awhile back where a gator was working its way through an aluminum rail fence. And yes all the critters do come out in the daytime so it isn't just a night issue. We have a resident bobcat in our neighborhood that has been seen day & night and I'm sure there are other critters we don't see.

There are numerous dog parks in The Villages for unleashed play. Oh, and there are leash laws here.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:19 PM

The best thing is to talk to the Villages Real estate person. I strongly recommend Beth Pope 352-552-1511 Excellent person and can help you find the perfect home
Old 07-04-2023, 06:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

In addition to the wildlife,
It’s also too hot for most of the year to leave dogs outside,
Old 07-05-2023, 05:03 AM

Please take matters into your own hands. Make sure you look on Zillow and the villages home finder yourself each day. Mls and Villages don’t show each others houses. No one shows For Sale by Owner. Special tab on Zillow. Some realtors won’t show others listings. I think your smart putting out announcement here and on NextDoor. Realtors “working” for me have never found a house for me over last 40 years. Always had to call them to unlock door after I found it.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizkey88 View Post
Courtyard with oversized lot (preferably not a corner but at end of a street). Give requirements to realtor and let them do the legwork too.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:58 AM

I ride my bike through neighborhoods and there is one behind the Bonifay CC that has an invisible fence installed. It seems to work for their dog. When he is outside and I ride by he never attempts to chase me. So that would be an alternative for you.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:08 AM
Sage

Someone wrote about "invisible" fences....an FYI with them....they might keep your dogs in the yard but won't keep the other critters out. We have friends with two dogs that have one. One of their dogs somehow knows how to escape and when it does it's long gone with the owners having to go on a search. NOT the best scenario! Here too we have alot of ponds/lakes. You'll not want to let your poochie go near those nor will you want to walk near them neither as gators lurk and could attack. While T.V. is "dog friendly" it's not always friendly in that the habits you have in your home state will work well here.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
the habits you have in your home state will work well here.
I think that quote is key to many things in the villages. Just because it works at home now, it may not work in TV.

I found a birdcage is best for our dog. They are safe, I can let them out in the yard to do their business, there are spots that are shaded, etc.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

the Village of Hemingway on Nash Loop has houses with an enclosed yard that are NOT courtyard villas.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:30 AM

Search for a Veranda home - they are designer homes with fenced backyards. You can only find them in the Villages South of 44. Also, there is a street in Pine Hills, Wise Way, that has designer homes with fenced yards.
Old 07-05-2023, 06:50 AM

We have a courtyard villa villa and also have dogs. It works well for us, we only let them out supervised and also to make sure they aren’t bothering neighbors by barking. We DO lock our gate so there are no accidental escapes and our neighbor is aware of this. If they need to get to the side of their house they just ask, but they have never seemed to need to. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
fenced, yard, villages, dogs, box

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.